SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 28, 2014, 09:32 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,851 Posts
The combined use of half split air brake and aileron is brilliant. With this method, I'd think that much wing twist could be used and still have controlled flight.

The rudder effect must be powerful. You could do hammer head turns like a pro with this set up.

Also the combined full split air brake and flap must make landing much more friendly. If you shoot more video of the plane in action, we would love to see it.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2014, 05:56 PM
wood basher
nailsea, N.somerset
Joined Feb 2001
243 Posts
can you tell us how much twist you have in the wings and what aerofoils your using?
cheers
john
nhoj62 is offline Find More Posts by nhoj62
Old Mar 31, 2014, 05:01 AM
DownUnder SYD
Joined Nov 2008
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj62 View Post
Having studied your design for abit, that is a very clever piece of design
i like how the cable is free to move in the stopper when the aileron pushes on it but also the rudder servo can still pull on it to open both sides
Please see the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj62 View Post
can you tell us how much twist you have in the wings and what aerofoils your using?
cheers
john
The max twist @ 9 degree. The original drawing is from "The Manatee". Please see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e#post20235378
Gus5610 is offline Find More Posts by Gus5610
Old Mar 31, 2014, 05:22 AM
DownUnder SYD
Joined Nov 2008
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
Also the combined full split air brake and flap must make landing much more friendly. If you shoot more video of the plane in action, we would love to see it.

Kent
So far I only did 3 flights. Not having spending time in flying but in building.. I am doing a 900mm ducted fan version called "The Hornet Bee" and will be finished soon. The total weight with 2 x 6S 4.0A Lipo battery will be 4.5kg for this 2m flying wing. Any idea if the weight will be too heavy? The motor version is @4kg. I think the speed should be quicker than prop one.

I am planing to have a test flight during Easter holidays. Will post videos for you guys if everything go smoothly. With the past flying experience, I only test the the rudder function but not with the air-break and flaps as this is the bungee launch version. To avoid any damage during landing, I did not test flaps. I think I will test flaps during landing next time with my "Hornet Bee". Hope its belly can support and survive during the landing.
Last edited by Gus5610; Mar 31, 2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 09:43 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus5610 View Post
I am doing a 900mm ducted fan version called "The Hornet Bee" and will be finished soon. The total weight with 2 x 6S 4.0A Lipo battery will be 4.5kg for this 2m flying wing. Any idea if the weight will be too heavy? The motor version is @4kg.
Is this the Manatee wing reduced to 2m wingspan? If so, it should be fine at 4.5kg. Of course as the weight increases so does the stall speed and the severity of the stall. So do your stall testing with lots of altitude, so you'll have a chance to recover.

Love the Bumble Bee pod. It will certainly protect your flaps but due to it's depth, will probably cause a nose down rotation upon contact with the ground. It makes for a short landing. This better than having the nose pop up upon contact.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2014, 09:53 PM
DownUnder SYD
Joined Nov 2008
10 Posts
Kent:
You are right. I did not think about the intention of its top will flip over and upside down. In order to balance the C.G. point, the two 4.0A lipo battery all fit in the front compartment.

With the stall speed test, I will never try it as I had a stall experience with my Horten XVI experimental. I was terrified with its stall and recovery it 2 meters above the ground. I will not test the stall speed if you do not have the speed reading with it.

Actually I have the cruise speed readying @60k/h on my Horten XII in a calm day. I am pretty happy with this plane. Thanks for your advise.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 07:14 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus5610 View Post
Ok, I will not disappoint you. I attached photos which are the method of using the air break. You can see it is using cable with pull-push method and with 2 small springs.
<snip!>
Guiding tubes:
Use the plastic tubes to guide the cables and make sure it is free and smooth movement. I use hot glue to position the turning point and make sure it is stiff enough so will not to compromise the pulling strength and effect the air-break opening angles.

</snip!>
Thank you for showing that, I was thinking about possibly using cables instead of ridged rods for the elevons in the Elipstik I'm building, routed very similar to what you have to help balance the plane and clean up the design. Now I know it will work!
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel