Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:34 PM
ir3
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2007
290 Posts
Discussion
Frustration With Engel Submarines

Hello all,

I am starting this discussion to see if anyone knows what is going on at Engel Submarines. I have tried in every possible way to communicate a problem with Gregor and get very little or no response.

It all started with the battery packs. One of the cells in my D size battery pack went sour and I decided to switch to the Sub-C pack he offers. Alas, I also needed different bulkheads since the adapters he supplies did not match the old bulkheads that held the D cells. After months of continually asking for help and finally telling me that it is a horrible way to run a business, especially since I am a very good customer. I finally received a response about 3 weeks ago saying he was sorry, that he suffered an injury, and he was not spending that much time in the shop any more.

He offered to send me a new set of bulkheads and I responded that it would be great if he did and that I also needed another replacement part. Well, 3 weeks later and no correspondence or shipping information.

In his last email he eluded to the fact that business was slowing down and he probably would not be spending much time at the shop.

In my own personal opinion, perhaps he should either close the business or sell it outright to someone who will be a bit more responsible. As we all know, the hobby business is narrowing and many of the specialty shops are closing down. If this is the case with Engel than he should have to common decency to say so. If he is going to run the business part time then tell us. If I had some assurances that he would deliver but would take a bit of time, I can deal with that.

In the meantime, I can rebuild the Tech Rack to accept some NiMh packs or LiFePo4 packs. I could also consider Li-Po packs. I just don't like the idea of Li-Po packs being in such a confined area. There is at least one build thread where the builder did replace the D-cell configuration with a pair of battery packs.

This is not a show stopper. I am just upset by the fact that Gregor just sits there, perhaps wallowing in self pity, and will not surface and let us know what is going on. If Alexander knew what was going on I am sure the he would be a most unhappy person seeing a once great model sub supplier going down the drain.

As usual, I welcome all the inputs to the discussion.

Cheers,

IR3
ir3 is online now Find More Posts by ir3
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:12 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
Engel

Last year I was interested in purchasing the Type 206 submarine. According to Engel, the kit was being re-designed and would be available by November-December 2012. It is still not available. This is not a good sign.
heavymeasure is offline Find More Posts by heavymeasure
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:08 AM
Michigan, USA
Joined Apr 2008
70 Posts
I have been asking, as in sending emails, about the availability of the 206 kit for over two years. I have yet to receive a single reply. I have ordered parts from them and received them quickly in good order but whoever is responsible for answering email inquiries is asleep at the switch.

Dan
Roedj is offline Find More Posts by Roedj
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:39 AM
ir3
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2007
290 Posts
It took almost 3 months the get the bulkheads for the new battery pack which BTW was not as easy to install as I thought it would be. It took several not so nice emails to Gregor before he finally responded and said he would send them out at no charge. I fear that the economy is hurting the Engel company and they are not producing full time. I think they will always accept orders for whatever is in stock and respond quickly. As far as the responses to email, I just don't get it. It is very frustrating.

IR3
ir3 is online now Find More Posts by ir3
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:39 AM
Mahogany Aficionado
Germany, HE, Flörsheim am Main
Joined Aug 2012
226 Posts
Hi,

Yes, I had some frustrating experience with the engel nautilus as well. I own the old model, not the reworked one and I must say, the quality is poor. I had sections in the hull where I needed to laminate again to get sufficient hull thickness (less then 0.5mm).
I replaced a lot of the rivets on the upper hull.
It's a great model, with poor control (ok, this is due to the shape, not Engels fault).
Business is slowing down, no wonder if you look at the prices.
Nixblicker is offline Find More Posts by Nixblicker