HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2013, 07:36 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,084 Posts
OK, it's been a while since my last post in this thread. I'm having a hard time getting motivated with this fix and building in general. So with that said here in the fuse almost done. It needs the bottom sheeting after the gear is permanently installed and a bit more rough sanding, then filler and final finish sanding. I also need to strip the rudder and elevators and ready them for hinges. I'll use Robart Hinge Points as it seems they have become my new best friend

The lower wing is next. It is in pretty tough shape. I've considered cutting it off and starting new but I've not set that in stone yet. Removing the sheeting off the spruce front spars is pretty easy but the rear spar is balsa and might not be so easy. I'll drag out my razor plane and see if that makes the job a bit more tractable.

This old girl has been rode hard and put up wet many a time from all the previous repairs.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:58 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,084 Posts
Back at the Pitts repair

In my infinite wisdom I have decided to build a new bottom wing. The one wing half is mostly destroyed and the other half has several repairs. Overall a new wing will be the best fix, and the lightest and strongest.

Photos to follow but, the rear spar on the original wing was 5/16 X 3/4 solid piece of balsa. Those are being replaced by 3/16 bass wood spars. Appropriate shear webbing will be applied. The main spars are also 3/16 and were spruce in the original. Mine will be bass wood. I eliminated on rib where the servo was mounted. I intend to bury the servo in the wing instead of having it hang out in the breeze. I used the ply rib for the N struts and the tail of another rib to draw the rib template for new ribs. That worked well enough.

Ken
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:49 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,084 Posts
Parts harvest

I'm taking the "N" strut mount and the wing tip off the RH wing and getting ready to transfer them to the new wing panel when I get that built. No use rebuilding those two parts. Ye Old Trusty Band Saw makes short work of detaching them.