SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,086 Posts
Discussion
48" X cat design and build

After designing and building the 38" Xcat for either nitro or eleccy and proving to run and handle with solid performance i thought id build a bigger brother to it for gas
This is the original 38" version

Hopefully this will perform the same and prove to be a fast,stable design,iv smoothed out some of the lines for more sleak look,just starting on the hatch hoping to have it finished soon

Pic of rough setup,will be powered by Se engine and enough room for exhaust and fuel bag in the sponson
F1 madness is offline Find More Posts by F1 madness
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Feb 2012
93 Posts
Nice Build!
MN fish is offline Find More Posts by MN fish
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:15 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,086 Posts
Thanks Bud
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:44 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,086 Posts
Started on the hatch,still some shaping up to do and add the roof duct,also going to design the air ducts on the rear to allow air to escape aswell just not sure yet which design ill go with

Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Oct 2004
198 Posts
Are plans available ?
LittleRock is offline Find More Posts by LittleRock
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:49 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,086 Posts
Soz bud no plans for any off my boats i do a quick sketch,work out the measurements etc then just build
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
F1,

I am just curious why you use such a high free board in hulls, is it to give you a higher bow for more choppy conditions? Also how do you figure out the tunnel height and width? Why do you use ride pads in your hulls? I have seen other threads from you and you are a wonderful designer and accomplished builder I really just wondered why you made some of the decisions you do.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:34 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,086 Posts
Hi Kcal
thanks for the comments
My free board is higher cause i design my hulls to be able to run in rough/choppy or calm conditions and allows enough room inside to fit and work with everything inside the hull
I dont use ridepads as these although faster than having no ridepads but also make the hull more unstable especially in any sort of choppy water,but with correctly positions strakes along the sponsons help the hull turn on a dime and create hydro lift before the aero dynamics take over
Tunnel depth and height are figured out by air entrappment,deeper tunnel better in rough conditions (along with other factors) but running slight less height at rear for tunnel lift of the hull,also angle of attack of wing then for better more stable aerolift and help stabilise the hull when in flight via the vortex of wing
I spend alot of time figuring out the dimentions anc calculations to ensure a performing hull is capable of what ever i throw at it LOL and looks good while doing it
So far iv designed a few boats that perform,handle and look good and iv been happy with results but theres always room for improvement and i keep pushing to build the ultimate performing RC boats
Hope this helps bud
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
I appreciate the reply and the view into your thought process on hull design; ha you can’t show that in a picture.

Thank you sir.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:43 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcal View Post
I appreciate the reply and the view into your thought process on hull design; ha you canít show that in a picture.

Thank you sir.
LOL certainly cant & no probs
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:43 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,086 Posts
Thanks to sponsorship of Millpond models,engine,exhaust maniflold,mounts etc arrived today for the X cat,fitted it up to check clearances,once in FG will have more room round the exhaust but everything fits nicely so far
Also made the hatch opening 2" wider for better access and cleanrance

Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:54 AM
Joined Feb 2012
93 Posts
That pipe looks like the same one that comes on the king of shaves boat. Nice fit!
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:01 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,086 Posts
Its not the same
Its a deepvee manifold and tuned pipe
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:27 PM
Joined Feb 2012
93 Posts
Does it have Orings it looks the same I am not saying it is a bad pipe i just hated dealing with the Orings. I have never owned a boat with this pipe just helped a budy fix one..
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:00 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,086 Posts
it has O rings but never had any problems with them