Closed Thread
Old May 02, 2012, 12:28 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch701 View Post
But you can easily reverse the charging jack polarity and then magic smoke will appear instantly. Had a friend do it. Cooked the radio. Would not have happened it one had to remove battery for charging.

-john
the charging jack polarity?... unsure how you can reverse the polarity of the typical charging jack, but this transmitter wont have a charging jack installed at all. you have to remove the pack to charge it. Will have to apply some pretty cunning tricks in order to feed your transmitter reverse polarity current...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 01:34 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2008
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
the charging jack polarity?... unsure how you can reverse the polarity of the typical charging jack, but this transmitter wont have a charging jack installed at all. you have to remove the pack to charge it. Will have to apply some pretty cunning tricks in order to feed your transmitter reverse polarity current...
Well...the multi-adapters have a plug for futaba, jr, hitec, etc. If you put use the wrong plug and the budget battery charger (not talking about OEM wall adapters) doesn't have some kind of reverse polarity detection...magic smoke?
hawkz is offline Find More Posts by hawkz
Old May 02, 2012, 03:41 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
There is no charge jack in the transmitter. The battery must be removed to charge it. If you charge that battery backwards outside of the transmitter then nothing will happen to the transmitter - unless there was a fire that burned down your house (including the transmitter).
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 04:50 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
...Tx will have the new official testing logo of "combustion outside" logo on it next to the FCC stamp...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 02, 2012, 05:30 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunpilot View Post
But it has to be a perfect battery, just like the one the smart guy in the club told me about...
"perfect battery" = absolute zero internal resistance = unlimited charging current = unlimited storage capability = short-circuit at your own risk
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old May 02, 2012, 10:52 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
The voltage regulation system with soft on/off already has this protection built in. You can attach the battery backwards and nothing happens.
Good to have this safety feature. Perhaps not as good as what I mentioned, if it's only reverse polarity protection, but good enough.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old May 03, 2012, 01:07 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,321 Posts
Quote:
The voltage regulation system with soft on/off already has this protection built in.
But still not answered; is it switch mode and can take advantage of additional pack voltage?

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old May 03, 2012, 02:23 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiprianGugu View Post
Jim, but if you attach the battery backwards the radio will not work, correct? But the radio will not fry.
It becomes a big receiver!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old May 03, 2012, 09:56 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
But still not answered; is it switch mode and can take advantage of additional pack voltage?

Fred
The regulation system is not a switching type. There is nothing to take advantage of in this case.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2011
107 Posts
Jim, could you revisit a few things for me? The transmitter to transmitter communication, other than wireless buddy boxing, what other applications are there? And programming from a PC, that's possible, wireless too? Is there a PC interface device required? What all can be done from a computer? Is this the same device used to configure receivers?
Tony37803 is offline Find More Posts by Tony37803
Old May 03, 2012, 10:55 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2001
29 Posts
Well, I've been lurking on this thread since it started and gone thru all the previous XPS Tx thread and I'm finally ready to post.

1st, as a member of the human race I'd like to apologise to JIm for all the knuckleheads who keep pestering him with various versions of "is it here yet?" I think the next person that pulls that ought to be required to wash your car or mow your lawn before receiving anything from XPS again.

2nd, I LOL at Tony's suggestion of just requiring 4 AA. That would shut up the all the people worrying about what kind of battery to get. Good grief !!! Even 4 AA's would get you 20 hrs of operation; with auto shut down that ought to get me thru the summer. ( I'm still probably going with a cheap LiFe or LiPo pack.)

3rd, What does "16X over sampling" mean? Is the ADC sampling at 16x200hz or 3200hz (5 ms frame is 200hz, right?) ?

4th, What's the latest version to the TX box look like? Is it still the same as shown in the old thread?

5th, What's the 900mhz version about? If you're not supporting FPV, doesn't 2.4 ghz have more than enough range.

Thanks Jim
hebertjj is offline Find More Posts by hebertjj
Old May 03, 2012, 11:26 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,321 Posts
Quote:
The regulation system is not a switching type. There is nothing to take advantage of in this case.
For a switch mode regulator, Pin = Pout (100% efficiency for simplicity). With 5V output, current drawn from a 3S pack would be less than 50%, compared to using a linear regulator. If it's linear, it's better to use the space/weight for capacity and not higher cell count, as higher voltage only means more heat generated. Must be quite a lot if using 24V(max).

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old May 03, 2012, 01:31 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hook57 View Post
["I decided it was not a safe place to sit.
If something does happen you can be sure it wont be long before the FAA steps in and creates some restrictions."

Not arguing your point, but I seriously doubt the FAA will be getting involved in something that is intended for sport/recreation use. Being responsible and being safe is being defensive (as in looking out for one's self) as you did in that situation. Not saying that the CD or sponsor shouldn't look at spectator safety, just saying....
hook
Think again. They are already up our skirt. The RC hobby just narrowly escaped the imposition of significantly more restrictive FAA rulemaking through an act of Congress. We got lucky this time. We may not get so lucky next time, and as alluded to by others, the hobby only needs a couple of fatality incidents in the current climate to wind up TOTALLY regulated, as in - we're all flying foamies. So agree with the point made that the hobby must demand the absolute highest standards when it comes to RF equipment. Much of the current radio stuff just does not meet that standard.

As the KM indicates, Jim and XPS appear to be committed to the highest robustness standard, I certainly do not expect XPS to incur significant additional expense while competitors like Hitec and HH don't bother, but there is definitely a case to be made that the RC stuff is no less dangerous than other UAV equipment and should be subject to the same tesing standard.

Better we pre-empt as a hobby than screw up, thus giving the feds an opening...
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old May 03, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Dec 2005
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybird View Post
I was sitting in a stands at a jet rally in Phoenix watching the jets turn toward the runway. When they did this they had us in their aiming point for a large part of the turn on the final. All it would take is a short lapse of control for the jet to plow into the stands. I decided it was not a safe place to sit.
If something does happen you can be sure it wont be long before the FAA steps in and creates some restrictions.
Is there really ANY safe place? At some point all airplanes are going to have to turn towards the stands/spectators for at least the landing approach. I don't think anyone except maybe IMAC/Pattern pilots want to make an approach out of a cuban, split s or stall turn.
j_whitney is offline Find More Posts by j_whitney
Old May 03, 2012, 04:50 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I don't think 4 AA (rechargeable) will do the job, I seem to remember that the display needs 5 volts so it would require 5 cells (rechargeable) or a boost regulator (or different display). That said my memory could be wrong and Jim changed to a lower voltage display.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Closed Thread