SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:45 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2008
59 Posts
Motor cool down time?

Do I need to let the motor cool down after each flight? I have instsalled the mico helis heat sink, just what to make sure I don't hurt the motor.With my MCPX I would fly one battery after the next.
Thanks, Allen
Sun flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sun flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:17 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun flyer View Post
Do I need to let the motor cool down after each flight? I have instsalled the mico helis heat sink, just what to make sure I don't hurt the motor.With my MCPX I would fly one battery after the next.
Thanks, Allen
Hh says its safe up to 160 degrees, i let mine cool 5 mins or so
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:22 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
862 Posts
Well after a lot of bitching about the QC issues I bought another one. And then threw some money at it. Metal a gear, Rakon main grips (not installed), main rotor hub, weighted tail blade grips, boom supports/ clamp and tail pitch slider, KBDD main (not installed) and tail blades and Microheli swash with rear mouned anti rotation guide and tail box. 8k kv hp08s with 10t pinion with raised main gear for better pinion engagement. Stripped down Zippy compact 500mah 25c batteries that weigh in at 26g. I trued my tail shaft, shimmed the tail blade side tail box bearing for a tighter c to d gear mesh, and added a bit of solder to the torque tube flats and then reground them down for a tighter fit in both the b and c gears. I was able to hold the tail shaft stationary and rotate the main blades 30-40 degrees. Now the only play in my tail system is the mesh of the a and b gears. Default gyro gains and flies amazingly and is very quiet. Also heated up my skids and bent them to give a forward rake/ tdr look and get my tail blades a little higher for grassy landings and put on a 2.9g Turnigy tail servo.
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:00 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
Well after a lot of bitching about the QC issues I bought another one. And then threw some money at it. Metal a gear, Rakon main grips (not installed), main rotor hub, weighted tail blade grips, boom supports/ clamp and tail pitch slider, KBDD main (not installed) and tail blades and Microheli swash with rear mouned anti rotation guide and tail box. 8k kv hp08s with 10t pinion with raised main gear for better pinion engagement. Stripped down Zippy compact 500mah 25c batteries that weigh in at 26g. I trued my tail shaft, shimmed the tail blade side tail box bearing for a tighter c to d gear mesh, and added a bit of solder to the torque tube flats and then reground them down for a tighter fit in both the b and c gears. I was able to hold the tail shaft stationary and rotate the main blades 30-40 degrees. Now the only play in my tail system is the mesh of the a and b gears. Default gyro gains and flies amazingly and is very quiet. Also heated up my skids and bent them to give a forward rake/ tdr look and get my tail blades a little higher for grassy landings and put on a 2.9g Turnigy tail servo.
That's one sporty 130x!
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:10 PM
new jersey
Joined Aug 2003
240 Posts
Crazy question,

If you cut the 002 in half,doesn't that make it an 001? Why not use that in the first place? Not trying to be a smart a$$, just getting ready to install the new o rings. Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
001 for the tail blade grips, 002 cut in half like a bagel for the slider and rear servo link, 003 for every where else.

I didn't put them on the bottom of the pitch links cause they rubbed on the swash, having them on just the top of the pitch links seemed to do the job just fine.
high alpha is offline Find More Posts by high alpha
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by high alpha View Post
Crazy question,

If you cut the 002 in half,doesn't that make it an 001? Why not use that in the first place? Not trying to be a smart a$$, just getting ready to install the new o rings. Thanks in advance
No, the 001 is a smaller diameter. Slicing the larger diameter 002 o-ring in half (like cutting a bagel to make a sandwich) only reduces its thickness.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
862 Posts
With KBDD mains:

itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:02 AM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
935 Posts
I finally got rid of the shakes and tail vibration / wag on my 130.

Sure this has been covered elsewhere but used nitro fuel tubing 3mm in length on the blade grips, about 2mm lengths on the swash plate arms and on the tail grips.

Flies great now :-)

Cheers,

Gord.
gwong is offline Find More Posts by gwong
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:26 AM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
With KBDD mains:

Build one for me !!
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:53 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
I contacted the guys at Wowhobbies and they were nice enough to custom build a new motor for Manny and I to test fly. It is a 2S version of the 9g motor at 8000kv on the stock pinion. I had to make sure the heli would stand up to the test, so I installed MH metal main grips, swash plate, tail slider and tail box. It is still using the stock tail shaft and grips (which are more durable than any of the "upgrade" ones I have tested). I also epoxied the C and D gears to prevent any possible stripping of the gears in mid 3D flight. Flight pack was the Hyperion 500 mah and at the end of the flight there was still 7.6v left. Motor was cool and ESC was warm after the flight. Pretty efficient for all that power. Of course the entire heli is perfectly balanced and there is no tail vibration on spool up at any RPM.

The heli has only been in the air a total of 3 times. 1 hover in my hobby room, 1 test flight at 85% throttle to dial in the Tx settings and this flight at 100% throttle all out. I am just glad the heli stood up to the test. LOL.

Sorry about the quality of the vid. All we had was my Iphone since we were not sure how this was going to go. I am sure Manny and his brother will be making a better one soon enough when this motor becomes available.

Blade 130X Prototype Motor from www.wowhobbies.com - buildem336 pilot (3 min 7 sec)
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Last edited by dkfuji; Oct 08, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:03 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Awesome flying!
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Insane ultra micro flying! Holy cow!
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:31 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
I have been flipping my 130x inside the living room a little bit ..I think if I had that motor setup in it I would have a few holes in the walls...and broke the tv.

Very nice! As always he sure can fly It looks like a 450 on 6s

How long out do you think the motor is from production?
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:41 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
JEEEEEEEEEEZUZ..lol
liduno is offline Find More Posts by liduno
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:19 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart