HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:32 AM
Joined Jul 2011
35 Posts
Discussion
advice about spare parts to buy with Weasel and Alula

Dear all,

I'm about to order a Dreamflight Weasel Evo (and should get an hand on a Alula Evo soon). As it will have to be shipped to france, it is the right time to order, if usefull, some spare parts. You know those parts that are more likely to fail, and that having at hand helps to build confidence that your plane will always be available.

What could be the weak points of those two planes, which spare parts a bit difficult to replace could be a good provision to order ?

Regards,

JMF
JMF11 is offline Find More Posts by JMF11
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:31 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Unless you're planning to drive over them repeatedly with your vehicle, or a tank, I don't think you need to worry about spares other than spare battery maybe.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:00 AM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
The belly pans on both the Weasel and Alula can get cracked quite easily landing on rough surfaces.

This guy sells replacements- I've had a couple already for my Weasel.
He also does replacement Weasel top cover hatches.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sjbro1971/...id=p4340.l2562
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Jul 2011
35 Posts
Thanks for the answers. My understanding from your answers is that those wings are pretty tough.

I asked myself if the tail or the controls under the wing could be weak points... It seems that it is not the case.

Regards,

JM
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:04 AM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
+1 on the belly pans. That's the only thing I've broken that I can't glue back together. I think I'm on my 3rd for the Weasel, and 2nd for the Alula....
I'm planning to try to make a composite (carbon/kevlar) pan for the Weasel...
Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:19 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
If you install the fin using a tiny magnet, it will release in a crash or impact but stay put very well in the air. This also lets you take the plane apart and store it in the box it came in, making travel very easy (I've made multiple flights with a Weasel Evo this way).

I also break from the stock build by installing somewhat larger magnets to retain the wings. I've been doing this for 5-6 years with all my gliders, from the Weasel size to 3m, and it works fantastic. With the Weasel, this lets you eliminate the requirement to use tape to retain the wings, making setup and takedown very fast and easy.

As far as spare parts goes, the latest versions of the Weasel Evo are made from EPO/Arcel, so they will get dinged in a hard crash. I've found that you have to try pretty hard to do this, but it can and eventually will happen. You can fix a lot of dings using the steam/hot water methods described elsewhere for EPO/Arcel models, and the plane will fly just fine even with some pretty significant deformities, but since you're shipping so far, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea - if you're worried about this - to get spare wing halves. Or just a second model

Have fun, the Weasel Evo is a fantastic flyer. I've been flying Weasels since 2003 and the newest versions are absolutely the best flying and best traveling Weasels ever.

Steve

My EPO Weasel Evo this past summer in about 6-8mph wind:
Weasel-Evo at More Mesa (2 min 40 sec)
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:32 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,416 Posts
As far as belly pans are concerned, I've found that if you give the inside a coat of goop after paint, it keeps the damage to a bare minimum. You really have to stuff it to break one after a goop treatment.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Jul 2011
35 Posts
Waouhh !!!

Nice, I will just have to enjoy flying, and not spend my time doing repairs...

Let's go like this.

JMF
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:45 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
Correction:
Weasel is on its 4th belly pan. The only other breakage, was breaking the nose off once or twice, and it glued on well with a little CA.
Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:44 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
279 Posts
As above, get spare belly pans..

You can increase the lifespan of the pans by a long way by covering the inside completely with fibre tape. This goes a long way to prevent cracks, or cracks from extending once they start. Paint the pod first (on the inside) then apply the tape over the pod, and you'll barely be able to see it.

I covered my weasel with thin (100 micron) lam film, then oracover, and have a easily replaceable thin strip of 250 micron lam film over the leading edge as a rock shield. Makes the whole thing super strong and clean. Mine basically looks as good as new despite several pretty hard smashes.
areid is offline Find More Posts by areid
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:59 PM
On the Go Fly List
United States, CA, Concord
Joined Dec 2009
559 Posts
I put a layer of clear tape over the leading edge of my ALULA. Helps with the occasional tree branch.

Adam
agarchitect is online now Find More Posts by agarchitect