SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:04 PM
Joined Jan 2011
49 Posts
Discussion
Can I turn down a soldering iron tip?

I have a nice radio shack soldering station but I am finding out they don't make tips for it anymore. I have access to a lathe can I just turn down a bigger dia. tip or do they have some sort of conductive thermal coating on them i would remove? Wasn't sure where to post this but thanks for the help if anyone knows.
-joe
get dustd is offline Find More Posts by get dustd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by get dustd View Post
I have a nice radio shack soldering station but I am finding out they don't make tips for it anymore. I have access to a lathe can I just turn down a bigger dia. tip or do they have some sort of conductive thermal coating on them i would remove? Wasn't sure where to post this but thanks for the help if anyone knows.
-joe
Hi Joe,

I also have the POS soldering station from Radio Shack, and discovered right after I bought it that Radio Shack does nor nor did they ever offer replacement tips for my model.

Be that as it may, do some searching to find who actually made that unit for Radio Shack and get the tips from them. They original manufacturer does offer replacement tips. Radio Shack elected not to carry them, however.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:33 PM
God of Gravity Poisoning
Joined Nov 2010
336 Posts
It depends, if the tip is pure copper yes but it will erode faster. If the tip is tinned iron clad copper no. Pure copper tips slowly dissolve as they are used an iron clad tip is more durable but only if the tinned cladding stays intact. You might be able to find a compatible set of tips. You could try Marlin P. Jones & Assoc. Inc. If they don't have tips that will fit they sell some cheap soldering stations. Their ZD-99 MINI SOLDER STATION 5-50 watt is only $15 and the tips for it are cheap.

http://www.mpja.com/solder_equipment.asp
Arkansas Travelr is offline Find More Posts by Arkansas Travelr
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:14 PM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,020 Posts
I have turned down the copper tips. No problems. I needed the small tips for soldering SMD components.
Marion is online now Find More Posts by Marion
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:23 PM
Joined Jan 2011
49 Posts
well the original tip will stay like it is. I will just step down the rest of the shaft and check the temp with a guy.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:49 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Is this the soldering station you guys are talking about. They do make tips for it I have some spares sitting here. I can probably get you a part number. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...rodsPerPage=60
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:51 PM
God of Gravity Poisoning
Joined Nov 2010
336 Posts
If you have access to a lathe you might be able to fashion yourself some new all copper tips if the tip mounting base isn't too complicated of a shape to replicate. They will wear fast than your clad tips but they should work.
Arkansas Travelr is offline Find More Posts by Arkansas Travelr
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2011
29 Posts
yeah,i agree with u .
jizwood125 is offline Find More Posts by jizwood125
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:51 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
I've used the Weller WLC100 for years. Have 2 at home.
They cost about $40
http://www.all-spec.com/products/WLC...FUS5KgodfzU2IQ
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:56 PM
Joined Jan 2011
49 Posts
No its not that soldering iron. Its got a little screen with a temp readout. ill try making a tip if we have some copper. it would be very easy to make. If not ill make another irons tip work because I need one in a few days so I dont want to order one. i didnt really like the pencil tip that much anyways. I like a small flat the best i think.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:15 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
If you have an electronics supplier local, not radio shack or chain but an electronics supply house I would take the original tip down and compare it to an off the shelf unit before I started making one. As you may find it was probably manufactured by someone else.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old May 03, 2011, 12:32 PM
Joined May 2011
2 Posts
Hobby King Sell Hammer head soldering $3.78
azonc is offline Find More Posts by azonc
Old May 03, 2011, 04:52 PM
just look at it smokin'
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
if you can get a pure silver rod like 99.99%
that may be your best option.

Z
z-matrix is offline Find More Posts by z-matrix
Old May 03, 2011, 08:52 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Pure Copper is a PITA to turn and will very quickly bite. Could you use another material like brass or bronze?
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old May 04, 2011, 12:13 AM
just look at it smokin'
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipoflyer View Post
Pure Copper is a PITA to turn and will very quickly bite. Could you use another material like brass or bronze?
its said that weller tips are iron coated, so maybe it is worth trying an iron rod for tip.
iron tip for a soldering iron

Z
z-matrix is offline Find More Posts by z-matrix