HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:24 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I have no idea what the interest level might be, nor what kind of price might be negotiated for a lot of 100 cameras. My guess is, you might get maybe a 15%-20 discount, but who knows?

I certainly have my hands full just keeping up with the Q/A in this (and other) threads, plus flying every once in a while! So I really don't have time to be the focal point or handle the distribution for a group buy like that. Maybe someone else will volunteer?

Right now, I'm only in the market for the one I have on it's way to me right now.

Tom,

Sound like fun. Buy 100 cameras for a discount and pass the savings on to others. You get to order the cameras, sell them individually, collect the money, and post them to the buyers. Sounds like your typical thankless job.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:25 PM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
173 Posts
Here are some image files I made during the prosess..
Note: The images are going to be resized during upload to this thread.

/Jan

[QUOTE=Tom Frank;17003457]OK, thanks to jhi, I am passing on to you his very revealing comparison of the HD key cam with one of the old 808 versions, both with and without an add-on wide angle lens on the cameras.

Based on the dimensions he gave for his HD video example, I calculated it would take a 58.2 deg. AOV to capture the corner-to-corner image of his video. So, I expect the lens on the camera is a tiny bit more than that, but not much based on the vignetting we can see. In any event, you can easily see how much greater the AOV is than the old 808, even when it has the add-on wide angle lens! And you can also see the horizontal distortion the 720x480 video of the old 808 produces.

Thanks jhi for taking the time to prepare this!
----------------------------------------------------
jhi is online now Find More Posts by jhi
Last edited by jhi; Jan 05, 2011 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Added 808SD wide angle photo
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:36 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett1 View Post
I wouldn't be too worried about the prices going UP any time soon. They are already 4x higher than the lower res cameras, and the lower res is really not that bad.

As soon as someone in the US gets an exclusive deal, and RAISES the price... someone else is going to realize there is money to be made and start offering a similar product for less.
Time will tell. I offered the information for those who don't want to take the wait-and-see approach. FWIW, I don't think there is as much profit in the 4X price difference as you might think, considering the better CMOS module and much more capable video processer/controller IC in the HD camera.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:40 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,423 Posts
I agree 100% - Also some entrepreneur in Singapore might pick up the slack

There are other ways to get the cams in quantity without going through a middle man like the Ebay seller(s). Anyone wanting to import 500cams would be better going direct, such as via Alibaba - lots of cams, now starting to see 1028P. This one looks like it might be a 720P

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/28...corder_HD.html

There's need to communicate to find out, which I haven't done, also risk because of fund transfer, customs, etc.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:47 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I agree 100% - Also some entrepreneur in Singapore might pick up the slack

There are other ways to get the cams in quantity without going through a middle man like the Ebay seller(s). Anyone wanting to import 500cams would be better going direct, such as via Alibaba - lots of cams, now starting to see 1028P. This one looks like it might be a 720P

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/28...corder_HD.html

Based on the 4:3 aspect ratio and .AVI output format (what codec?), this looks more like the old up-converted fake HD version of the 808 to me. Could just be some agressive marketing to get a much high price now that the real HD key cam is on the market at $40 price point.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:09 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,423 Posts
Quote:
Based on the 4:3 aspect ratio and .AVI output format (what codec?), this looks more like the old up-converted fake HD version of the 808 to me. Could just be some agressive marketing to get a much high price now that the real HD key cam is on the market at $40 price point.
LOL I posted the wrong link, I'll see if there's a better one..

True, 1280x960 might be upconvert, or maybe using more of the CMOS, can't say without details. My point is that the Ebay guys are likely not the only game in town, just re-distributers IMO.

They do provide good service and communications, I'm not knocking them. If these cams become more mainstream, other suppiers, even HK (like they did for #7), might start up

OK, I'm back - here's one that looks interesting, offers sample order. Looks like a new button configuration

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/38...en_Camera.html
Last edited by victapilot; Jan 04, 2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:26 PM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
True, 1280x960 might be upconvert, or maybe using more of the CMOS, can't say without details. My point is that the Ebay guys are likely not the only game in town, just re-distributers IMO.

They do provide good service and communications, I'm not knocking them. If these cams become more mainstream, other suppiers, even HK (like they did for #7), might come on board, and I'll bet they'll buy direct.
Yes, but alibaba can only provide 2000 cams per day. lol
zrobbie is offline Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:48 PM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
True, 1280x960 might be upconvert, or maybe using more of the CMOS, can't say without details.
Can definitely say that the Alibaba one is the #4 camera. Note the same clear plastic packaging and that the still image size is 3264x2448.

The new 808HD's still images are 2592x1944. BTW, the native resolution of the 808HD's CMOS sensor is 1280x800.

I expect my 808HD to arrive in a week or so... can't wait
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:00 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,688 Posts
Another resolution if date stamp removal bricks your camera.

Please note the update I added to the bricked camera post #16. If you bought your camera from one of the sources identified in Post #2 and managed to brick it while performing the date stamp firmware swap, it now appears they will take it back for repair or replacement!
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:19 PM
Poland
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
I noticed that my camera records videos with different values kbps. That was more than 10000kbps and once only about 7000kbps. The difference is big.
It turned out that:
1. When I turn on the camera and record video to go down over 10000kbps.
2. When I turn on the camera and do some photos and then burn the film switches to a video record of around 7000kbps.
3. When I turn on the camera and record video 10000kbps it is over, I take photos and record another video. In this case, it is only about 7000kbps.
jantares is offline Find More Posts by jantares
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:46 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantares View Post
I noticed that my camera records videos with different values kbps. That was more than 10000kbps and once only about 7000kbps. The difference is big.
It turned out that:
1. When I turn on the camera and record video to go down over 10000kbps.
2. When I turn on the camera and do some photos and then burn the film switches to a video record of around 7000kbps.
3. When I turn on the camera and record video 10000kbps it is over, I take photos and record another video. In this case, it is only about 7000kbps.
Interesting. Can anyone else confirm this behavior with their HD key cam?
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:33 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrobbie View Post
Yes, but alibaba can only provide 2000 cams per day. lol
You need more? There are 8261 listings from 179 suppliers LOL
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:42 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,347 Posts
Ordered one from power-gps last night.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jan 04, 2011, 04:45 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,688 Posts
Quote:
You need more? There are 8261 listings from 179 suppliers LOL
The one you linked is also not the same camera that we are discussing here. It does say it is 1280x720 resolution, but no mention of video codec and again the video is packaged in an .AVI container, not .MOV. Also, the case is different design and the battery is much larger capacity. Plus $43 for the camera and $31 to ship it!

Let's stick with "The Real HD Key Cam", please, until someone has a better one in hand...
Old Jan 04, 2011, 05:10 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,423 Posts
Quote:
Let's stick with "The Real HD Key Cam", please, until someone has a better one in hand...
Agreed!

Just wanted to illustrate that the world does not end if the four (or 8?) sellers no longer sell the current model via Ebay in the USA

BTW Casio appears to be moving away from MOV format, even for 720P
Closed Thread