aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
Wow, a list without a Guppy.

What about the EF Edge 540?
It's a possibility. I'm thinking I'm wanting an extra. I have the 48" Edge and the roll rate is pretty slow in comparison to my 60" Extra. If the larger plane behaves the same as the little ones I'd prefer the Extra.

Quote:
what negatives?

Sucky wheels? yes the old ones are horrible. Pilot replaced them with a better hub
COntrol horns and wheels. Wheels aren't really an issue considering Aztech is so close. Some guy flying a 35% Hangar9 Extra 300 said something about Pilots flight performance but after watching this I find it hard to believe.
XFC 2010 special Show by Tzu-Chun Lin, Pilot-RC 100cc YAK54 (10 min 24 sec)
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:18 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d View Post
It's a possibility. I'm thinking I'm wanting an extra. I have the 48" Edge and the roll rate is pretty slow in comparison to my 60" Extra. If the larger plane behaves the same as the little ones I'd prefer the Extra.

COntrol horns and wheels. Wheels aren't really an issue considering Aztech is so close. Some guy flying a 35% Hangar9 Extra 300 said something about Pilots flight performance but after watching this I find it hard to believe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fUhH-vd6vI
Control horns are great. They are phenolic and work perfectly.
Some guys do prefer a different style of turnbuckle control rods like the kind that comes with PAU's, but I prefer phenolic horns and ball links/titanium rods.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:26 AM
Sammamish WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,027 Posts
Voters approve I-502 legalizing marijuana

I do not like pot but If it brings in 1 billion + in taxes $$ to the state and It has not hurt Calif in the last few years . I guess its ok.

Good or bad I 502 passed. I think I will open a munch eeeeee stand in Seattle.

I guess this is what Seattle will look like soon .
pro bro steve is offline Find More Posts by pro bro steve
Last edited by pro bro steve; Nov 07, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Since the election is now over...the feds will weigh in and sue the states that legalized casual marry jane.

The DOJ sure as heck wasn't going to weigh in on the legality prior to the election.
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Nov 07, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:59 PM
Sammamish WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,027 Posts
Cry I saw you challenge to Mike about your plane not making the 90 DB at the club.
I have a pod I can give to the club if you thing it will help gain you 1.5 DB that allot of change. Azhar can tell you what 2 blade props will pass the 90 DB .

Tim I am glad you got a new job. It looks like a nice place to fly your crack yak during lunch.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro bro steve View Post
Cry I saw you challenge to Mike about your plane not making the 90 DB at the club.
I have a pod I can give to the club if you thing it will help gain you 1.5 DB that allot of change. Azhar can tell you what 2 blade props will pass the 90 DB .

Tim I am glad you got a new job. It looks like a nice place to fly your crack yak during lunch.
hey thanks steve, but not necessary.

I'm going to fly out at Cascade with the noisy 2 blade, and go with a 3 blade at Mar-c
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:07 PM
Sammamish WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,027 Posts
It would be fun to play with a pod to see how much of a change it makes . If you had a airplane that is 1/2 db off could save you $150.00 for a three blade prop.

I know my DLE 30 with stock muffler will be on the fence. 90DB
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:16 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Feb 2002
822 Posts
Quote:
Rad. How is the 55CC? The RA is coming out soon and it's most likely going to be my first gas engine.

You guys have a bunch of experience with big planes. I'm having a REAL hard time trying to decide on what airframe I'm going to get. I love my 60" EF Extra and I want something that obviously flies as good.

The list so far

Pilot Edge 540 30%
Pilot Extra 300 30%
Extreme Flight 91"if it ever comes out
Pau Extra 300 30%

I've really been eying the Pilot airframes but heard a few negatives after a couple searches.

I fly a mix of precision and 3d so I want something that will do both equally as well. So I guess I'm asking your opinions on airframes since I know a lot of you actually fly.
Out of that list there's a clear winner. EF Extra... PAU fly's ok but think its an older design. Pilot stuff is to "Scale" and after seeing some videos the only one I would consider is the Extra 300 and Yak 54.

Or a 3DHS around a 87" something or another...

That new VV Slick looks good too.
kody'd'punk is offline Find More Posts by kody'd'punk
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:33 PM
Go Fly Yourself...!!
United States, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Oct 2004
1,542 Posts
Quote:
Rad. How is the 55CC? The RA is coming out soon and it's most likely going to be my first gas engine.

You guys have a bunch of experience with big planes. I'm having a REAL hard time trying to decide on what airframe I'm going to get. I love my 60" EF Extra and I want something that obviously flies as good.

The list so far

Pilot Edge 540 30%
Pilot Extra 300 30%
Extreme Flight 91"if it ever comes out
Pau Extra 300 30%

I've really been eying the Pilot airframes but heard a few negatives after a couple searches.

I fly a mix of precision and 3d so I want something that will do both equally as well. So I guess I'm asking your opinions on airframes since I know a lot of you actually fly.
Just jumping in ...
Are you thinking about the DLE 55RA?

If so and you need to pass a DB rating, be aware there are no aftermarket pipes out for the DLE 55RA yet. I have no idea of the sound level of the stock muffler of the 55ra but wanted give you food for thought.

Tim can pipe up here (pun intended). :-)

D-Man
xxD-Manxx is online now Find More Posts by xxD-Manxx
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:02 PM
Gone Gas! / Gone Crazy?
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Sep 2012
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
hey thanks steve, but not necessary.

I'm going to fly out at Cascade with the noisy 2 blade, and go with a 3 blade at Mar-c
Has anyone in the mob (3D flight & sound) tested the Xoar PJX 2-blade (Sport Prop Type A Beechwood ''Eagle Nose'' w/ Carbon Fiber Q-Tips) ?

http://www.xoarintl.com/props/model-airplane/PJX.html

Seems like a potential science based solution to a somewhat subjective based DB regulation.
Mr Whirl is offline Find More Posts by Mr Whirl
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:05 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kody'd'punk View Post
Out of that list there's a clear winner. EF Extra... PAU fly's ok but think its an older design. Pilot stuff is to "Scale" and after seeing some videos the only one I would consider is the Extra 300 and Yak 54.

Or a 3DHS around a 87" something or another...

That new VV Slick looks good too.
The older EF 88" Extra is pretty damn nice, I loved mine until that fateful sunset at MARCS. EF's new 91" is going to be great but on the other hand, you could put a DA-50 class motor in the 88 size planes. The 87" 3DHS SHP is great 3D plane.
And the EF 88" Edge, you can get a pull on mine at the next MOB.
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:07 PM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro bro steve View Post
I guess this is what Seattle will look like soon .
LOL, Jay Inslee is now the biggest drug dealer in the country.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:35 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Feb 2002
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarl Of Whirl View Post
Has anyone in the mob (3D flight & sound) tested the Xoar PJX 2-blade (Sport Prop Type A Beechwood ''Eagle Nose'' w/ Carbon Fiber Q-Tips) ?

http://www.xoarintl.com/props/model-airplane/PJX.html

Seems like a potential science based solution to a somewhat subjective based DB regulation.
Tim you should get a few on the next prop order for VV so we can test them! Or have you already?

Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:38 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Feb 2002
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
The older EF 88" Extra is pretty damn nice, I loved mine until that fateful sunset at MARCS. EF's new 91" is going to be great but on the other hand, you could put a DA-50 class motor in the 88 size planes. The 87" 3DHS SHP is great 3D plane.
And the EF 88" Edge, you can get a pull on mine at the next MOB.
I can see the 3DHS SHP being an animal in 3D. This is why I like the AJ Slick. Tracks on rails and still will do everything 3D I like.

Looking forward to trying a few EF planes out soon. Whats the latest on the 91" Extra? any ETA???

60 twin in the 91"!?!?!?!?

K
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:46 PM
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kody'd'punk View Post
Looking forward to trying a few EF planes out soon. Whats the latest on the 91" Extra? any ETA???

60 twin in the 91"!?!?!?!?

K
I had to unsubscribe from the EF threads, I couldn't keep up. Maybe EF Team Pilot Danielph can come in and update us? And Daniel, whatcha been flying lately?