HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:13 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2010
17 Posts
Discussion
West Wings Hawker Hart

Hi guys, have been reading this forum for a while but only just got round to posting. I'm coming back to RC scale modeling after a 10 year break and decided to venture into small scale electric planes.

I've recently picked up a West Wings Hawker Hart 26" kit and planning to start an electric conversion. I have been doing quite a bit of research but was wondering if anyone has actually successfuly converted one into a decent electric flyer. Any recommendations on the setup?
dr_danger is offline Find More Posts by dr_danger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:49 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,757 Posts
Dr. D,

Welcome to RC Groups! The Hart is one of my favourite inter-war designs, so I'll be very interested to see your build progress. There's a Build-Off underway as well (Fun Build 3) that has Golden Age kit and plan builds as a theme, and your Hart would be a great addition.

As far as gear goes, you're likely to get as wide a range of suggestions as there are suggesters. My advice would be to select a power system that meets your current needs in the Hart but is flexible enough to be used in other designs as well. There's a wide variety of brushless power options available, but if it were me, I think I would use a cheap and cheerful brushed power system, the GWS IPS-A motor and gearbox, using a 7x6 inch GWS prop on 3s lipos. The prop will be close to scale size, and you should have plenty of power for realistic scale-like flight without breaking the bank. The IPS boxes are quite flexible, and you can slip a brushless inrunner like the Feigao or Medusa 12mm motors into them for significantly more power. That's my two cents (pence?), and stand by for lots of other advice!

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:49 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,019 Posts
I have West Wings' Swordfish kit that's been laying around for years now, and my original intent was to convert to RC, but powered with a G-Mot 300 CO2 engine! One of these days, I'll get around to it, whether it ends up as e-power or fizz-power.

I'll keep an eye on your Hart build to see how yours goes!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:37 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2010
17 Posts
I'm thinking about the covering material at the moment. Planning to build as detailed model as possible that also flies well. For the cowling I was thinking of using Aluminium Fibafilm which will provide that essential polished aluminium look a bit of strength and weight in the right place. For the rest of the plane I was planning to use Solarfilm SoLite but I presume it is gloss in appearance? How much weight would acrylic paint add if I got a clear SoLite and painted it matt silver? Would it be still lighter then something like Silver Solartex? which is 65gsm I think.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:03 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,277 Posts
I'm not sure if there is a clear SoLite. I've never seen it in the shops.
If you use silver SoLite you would only need to give it the lightest dusting of silver paint from an airbrush or spray can to achieve the matt finish you seek.

I'm a big fan of SoLite. I use it on anything that weighs between 100g and 2kg.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Jan 21, 2010, 04:32 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2010
17 Posts
You can certainly get a clear SoLite Thank you for the tip on lightly spraying the standard silver one. My worry is that it will get even heavier with additional layer of paint, thats why i thought a painted clear one is better. I might buy both and do an experiment.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:57 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,277 Posts
It will certainly add some weight but I don't know how much. My concern is that you might need a lot of paint to make the clear suitably opaque. I suppose experimenting is the only way to find out.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old May 11, 2010, 07:33 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2009
309 Posts
Hi Guys, I too am re-visiting my past with one of these kits. I'm part way through, and if I ever work out how, I'll post some pics as I go. I'm going electric, three channel (rudder, elevator, throttle) so I'm going as light as I can. I'm sticking with the tissue and dope. Looks good so far; I used tamiya flat aluminium to finish and even got a good linen effect with a fine brush and cross strokes. For the nose I'm going to use (wait for it) pepsi max cans! I've used these before on an e-flite SE5a and the results were pretty good. I'll keep posting as I go. (I don't want to hyjack the thread, and I'm unsure as to the etiquette of this community, so could somebody let me know if I have to start my own thread?)
aspyrs is offline Find More Posts by aspyrs
Old May 12, 2010, 10:54 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2010
17 Posts
Thats alright mate, I haven't even started yet, have been building a 500 series Guillows Stuka and trying to make it fly and flying my eflite Neiuport a lot.
Old May 12, 2010, 06:52 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2009
309 Posts
Aah the e-flite Nieuport! I love that plane. I'm out flying mine most mornings, I get about 30 mins of fun from the two batts. Looks great as the sun comes up.
Old May 14, 2010, 05:59 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2010
17 Posts
This prompted me to start the build, sent off the sheets for laser cutting. Hoping its going to fly on the Eflite 250 motor.
Old May 15, 2010, 02:21 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2009
309 Posts
I'm going to try this set up in mine
http://lazertoyz.ncweb.net/10Gram.htm
I'ts all a bit of trial and error at the moment, but the specs look good
Old May 16, 2010, 07:41 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2009
309 Posts
This is the fuse so far
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:23 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2009
309 Posts
I just started the aluminium cladding on the nose. It's going to be a long job, but this is the look so far.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:43 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2009
309 Posts
Hi all; I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I finally maidened my Hart this morning. WOW! This thing likes the speed! I gave it a fairly long take off run to see how it would track under power, and once in the air the Hart accelerated quite swiftly. Turns were a little shaky at first until I got the trims sorted out. I might take a little weight out of the nose as I needed a few clicks of up elevator to stay level. Glides were fast but stable and the landings were, again fast, but no real problem. To sum up; really nice to finally get this bird into the air, likes a fair amount of speed for good control, decelerates slowly and lands fast.
I'll try and post some images of the finished model