SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:34 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
Yeah... that's not gonna happen. But I can say that I am surprised at how little diff this model requires. And I... for one, am not afraid of diff...

dp
Any thoughts on why one plane (such as this one) requires less diff over another design?
Is it AR, planform, profile, dihedral, or something else that dictates this DP?

The plane looks very cool, and I am amazed at how light Mr Baudis has managed to get the parts. I know for a fact that his models are very strong, but I did not know that he could do light so effectively. Impressive!

Does the fuse use his system of bulkheads like he does with the Cyril?

Also, are there ribs pre-installed at the servo bays, as I have seen in the Xplorers?

Thanks for taking the time and posting the build pics. I know how much that tends to slow down a build.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:45 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,693 Posts
You should rock some of these DP
ak79 is online now Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:47 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,371 Posts
Sorry guys, spent too much energy working on real airplanes all day to work on toy airplanes last night. So no progress.

"Any thoughts on why one plane (such as this one) requires less diff over another design?"

Not really Target. My best guess, and it's solely a guess is that, in this case, it's mostly due to getting the throws on the six servo wing right. Even with a 4 servo wing, I learned many years ago that my models would track better once getting the aileron>flap mix correct. Hint, add more inboard throw than you think you need.... or use Drela's formula.

"The plane looks very cool, and I am amazed at how light Mr Baudis has managed to get the parts. I know for a fact that his models are very strong, but I did not know that he could do light so effectively. Impressive!"

Jiri's craftsmanship is amazing. And the design is way cool, very pretty.

But understand, my models from almost any manufacturer are typically "unobtainium." Since I'm involved in the development of this model, I get the test airframes. This is not a production spar layup. My first proto was stronger than necessary, so I requested Jiri reduce the spar cap thickness in this one. Until I sign off on it for a production version, expect production parts to be a bit more stout (but not much more).

The fuse is a production layup. The joiner is production. The stab weights are the weights I've built out of my molds, but I'm pretty sure Jiri will be right there. The only thing we are bracketing is the spar cap layup. This one will probably be fine. I'm confident it won't break, but it will flex more than my first one.

"Does the fuse use his system of bulkheads like he does with the Cyril?"

Yes.

"Also, are there ribs pre-installed at the servo bays, as I have seen in the Xplorers?"

There are ribs throughout the wing just outboard of the servo hole cutouts.

I plan on laying up stab skins tonight, and hopefully beginning the wing servo install.

Happy Tuesday everyone. Thanks for watching.

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:28 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,693 Posts
Thanks for the answers, D.
I appreciate your comments, they are good to know.
I figured the weight of that example may be not 100% representative of the "public consumption" version, but it sounds like it will be close.

I thought I heard that a batch is out already here, and so I'm sure there will be some feedback forthcoming.

Sounds like a great plane to have all 11mm servos in, like the 809. One extra in the box for a spare fits every space.

R,
target
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:38 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,176 Posts
Very light indeed!

I handled this plane at the AMA quite a bit. When I picked up the fuze I almost hit the other planes above it-- I was expecting some weight but it was barely there! Same impression with the winghalves and tails.

I like.
How much? I have an extra kidney.

Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
Ok guys... The box showed up and I've started my build. I have to fly this beauty by next weekend. It looks just like the model in Bobs booth, cept for a very bright orange fuse. For some reason, Jiri didn't send a stab, so I can't give a complete parts weight. Im guessing he just ran out of time and wanted to get me some parts to get started on.

Wings are 480 grams per side... Actually 480 and 478.8. The fuse is 211 grams with pushrods and Vtail joiner. The canopy is about 29 grams. The joiner is 92 grams. I have a set of stab molds so I am able to build stabs if I need to. So far, I've built a full carbon set at 40 grams per side, and a disser set at 32 grams per side. So assume 35 grams per side, and you've got your raw airframe weight. Pretty impressive...
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:57 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Very light indeed!

How much? I have an extra kidney.

Jun
Jun,

I don't need a kidney... pretty sure my liver's shot though...

I don't know if Jiri or Bob have settled on a price yet.

D
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:44 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,693 Posts
Jun-
Call Bob and ask.

VR,
Target
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:30 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,796 Posts
On the subject of V-tails and yaw authority... With models, we've used small, 100 to 110 - degree V-tails forever it seems. The Egida and the Vixen seem to have gone to properly-sized, 90 - degree tails and I believe much of the yaw problem of the past will disappear...

Just my thoughts on that... Darth Gottahaveone...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:02 PM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
I heard a rumor of a price. I am not going to say what it is but it seamed pretty reasonable to me. And I'm a cheap S.O.@

JOE
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:45 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,371 Posts
Allright guys, spent some time soldering today. No real pictures to take of that... but it's all done, and nothing left to do but bend RDS drive shafts, install wing servos and work out V linkage. (I actually have to figure out if I'm making a new stab, or using one of the ones I have here, neither of which match... but they are light...)

Here are a couple of pics of the servo frames Jiri sends with his models. He also includes CNC RDS couplers for the 809 servo gears, and the lightest little ball bearings I've ever seen to support the coupler.

Pic of the bottom of the wing... raw carbon rocks.

Pic of the wing/fuse joint. Hard to take a pic of, the joint is just perfect...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:59 PM
in the air
in the air
Joined Aug 2006
126 Posts
Curious???? how does the RDS work on all the surfaces? do you bend you own actuators?
how is the bend on the flaps?
Looks so cool
can not wait to see how this is going to get done
more pictures please on you build and the fun!
MB3
THE EYE is offline Find More Posts by THE EYE
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:04 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,371 Posts
Mark, Jiri usually prebends the rods. The length and angles haven't been defined yet, so I'm bending them. It'll get 55 degree bend on the flaps, then probably 40 ish and 35 ish...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:24 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,485 Posts
It's So sexy ! Loving the pics
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:27 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,693 Posts
55-60 is usually pretty good for flaps in a rigid system. DP had my Cyril with my "slightly bent extra" flap wipers. They worked well, had as much travel as needed (but not extra) and zero slop.
If fact, I don't think that the flap servos have been touched even by the third owner.
That is saying something about the recipe Jiri uses for pockets and wipers.

R,
Target
PS. Looks like that tow hook is in the wrong place, D! ;-)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:30 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,371 Posts
Hook's in the right place... Slot's not. The hook can only go maybe another 1/8" back. No more.