SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:12 PM
Joined Jan 2011
22 Posts
Discussion
What is the best 4ch heli under $50 ?

Hi everyone,

I'm an happy owner of a Syma S107 and a Syma S032. Both fly great, but now I would like to try something new and I think a 4 channel heli is the next step.

I can only spend $50, so I think I can only get a coaxial heli, not a single rotor one, am I wrong ?

In your opinion, what is the best 4ch heli in that range of price ? I would like to fly outdoor sometimes (when there's no wind), so a RF TX would be a good thing.

Thank you for your great job !
legsim is offline Find More Posts by legsim
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:24 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
all these below can be had for less than $50 shipped and are RF, take your pick

falcon 8911/8913
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339720

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1275352

f27
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1345995
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:27 PM
Joined Aug 2008
106 Posts
Check out Model Rectifier site. Search for RC helis. They have a Nine Eagles Bravo III coax for $70.00 with shipping. It gets a good rating, search this forum to read up, and comes in a metal case.

Mike
ferret dad is offline Find More Posts by ferret dad
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:38 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Hi,

Here is a direct link to the 8911:

http://www.gigxon.com/gyro-4ch-mini-...911_p1149.html

It's less than $42 shipped!

But honestly, if you can increase your budget by another $10, you'll open up a much larger field to choose from.

Good luck.
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by legsim View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm an happy owner of a Syma S107 and a Syma S032. Both fly great, but now I would like to try something new and I think a 4 channel heli is the next step.

I can only spend $50, so I think I can only get a coaxial heli, not a single rotor one, am I wrong ?

In your opinion, what is the best 4ch heli in that range of price ? I would like to fly outdoor sometimes (when there's no wind), so a RF TX would be a good thing.

Thank you for your great job !
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:13 PM
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Feb 2011
121 Posts
I will be following this thread as this is exactly where I am at. Still working out in my mind if it will be 4 channel coax or single rotor. My budget constraints are different but with about 60 flights on two S107s and a S031 I feel like it is time to progress to the next step.
andouille is offline Find More Posts by andouille
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:28 PM
Joined Dec 2010
821 Posts
I would say that the Pegasus 68785 is one of the best, With 2.4g radio a lighter weight than the 5888, I think it is your best buy at 50 bones...
THE_SHRUB is offline Find More Posts by THE_SHRUB
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:20 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,942 Posts
There is at least one single rotor 4-ch under $50: the Air Hogs Helix 360 available at Radio Shack for ~$30 with a $10 coupon used on it's $39.99 normal price. You may have to buy a pack of batteries to get the total above $40 for the coupon to be accepted, maybe not.
details on the 360 in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=helix

I skipped completely over 4-ch coax after 3-ch. The Helix isn't the most precise chopper, but it's speedy, powerful, very tough, and will teach you how to manage all 4 controls.
After about 30 flights I bought a used MSR for $120 with a bunch of spares and carbon landing gear. It's much more responsive and faster than the Helix, but you need a bigger room to really appreciate the extra performance. I keep mine at work where we have a big empty conference room.
Haven't tried the MSR outside yet, but it'll undoubtedly do much better than about any 4-ch coax or the Helix.
Starting with the 360 helped a lot, although I still crash the MSR quite a bit trying out fancy moves :P

Here's a vid of my Helix inside a fairly small room:
(HD) Air Hogs Helix 360 Jan 2011 (1 min 51 sec)

(HD) Helix 360 vs Shih Tzu (1 min 36 sec)
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Last edited by Kurt; Feb 28, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:09 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
There's the Nine Eagles Free Spirit / Solo micro that you may want to consider.

It retails for $45, so with shipping might stretch your budget but only by $10 or so.
  • 4 Channel micro coaxial
  • Comes with a nice 2.4G TX that can be used on other Nine Eagles helicopters, which is convenient and saves you money in the long run if you buy other Nine Eagles helicopters. The TX can charge a battery, has an LCD display with throttle and trim readouts, sub trim mode, mode 1 or 2.
  • Flies well with plenty of spare parts available.

This is what I'd be spending my money on. It really does represent the best value for money, with a path for upgrading to the Solo Pro which is the single rotor version and retails for around $60 RTF.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:33 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
There's the Nine Eagles Free Spirit / Solo micro that you may want to consider.

It retails for $45, so with shipping might stretch your budget but only by $10 or so.
  • 4 Channel micro coaxial
  • Comes with a nice 2.4G TX that can be used on other Nine Eagles helicopters, which is convenient and saves you money in the long run if you buy other Nine Eagles helicopters. The TX can charge a battery, has an LCD display with throttle and trim readouts, sub trim mode, mode 1 or 2.
  • Flies well with plenty of spare parts available.

This is what I'd be spending my money on. It really does represent the best value for money, with a path for upgrading to the Solo Pro which is the single rotor version and retails for around $60 RTF.
Yes, with this you can also get a BnF Solo Pro later, when money becomes available again, which is even cheaper than the 60 for the RTF set.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Mar 01, 2011, 01:10 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
I've seen the Solo Pro BNF for around $40 - $45.

This is why I try and steer people away from the no-name eBay el-cheapo's. I know some guys feel sore at the flack they receive over them, but they don't always represent the best value for money or are the wisest choice as a first helicopter.

They are more obscure, less people own them, information is harder to find and parts are limited. There's also no upgrade path as these companies don't progress past micro toys.

You eliminate all that with a Free Spirit, and what's wrong with a price tag of $45 for the RTF kit?
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Mar 01, 2011, 01:19 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
I've seen the Solo Pro BNF for around $40 - $45.

This is why I try and steer people away from the no-name eBay el-cheapo's. I know some guys feel sore at the flack they receive over them, but they don't always represent the best value for money or are the wisest choice as a first helicopter.

They are more obscure, less people own them, information is harder to find and parts are limited. There's also no upgrade path as these companies don't progress past micro toys.

You eliminate all that with a Free Spirit, and what's wrong with a price tag of $45 for the RTF kit?
I wish I payed that for my first 4 channel Solo coax. Over here it costs twice as much, if you are lucky to find a good deal. Some LHS ask around 80 euros for it, even when the euro was around 1 dollar 50 in exchange rate...

That meant you could get almost 3 RTF kits listed as 45 dollar for the price of a single one here...
Old Mar 01, 2011, 04:18 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,648 Posts
Features to look for,
swash plate with ball links and servo arms.
2.4 ghz RF control with dual rates, ability to bind more than one heli to the transmitter. This allows you to purchase bind & fly helis and use same TX to fly them.
Heli Batteries that are quickly swapped and charged on a external ac charger.
replacement parts readily available at local hobby shops or online.

Nine Eagles products have all the above features
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Mar 01, 2011, 04:52 AM
Joined Jul 2009
56 Posts
..spend $50, i think you can try the Z008 4-CH Mini Infrared RC Heli http://aerofunmen.blogspot.com/2010/...elicopter.html
rcairplanes is offline Find More Posts by rcairplanes
Old Mar 01, 2011, 06:06 AM
Joined Jan 2011
22 Posts
Thank you everyone for your answers !

You've convinced me to buy a Nine Eagles helicopter.
Let's say I can spend $55/60 including shipping. Frank_fjs, where did you see the Solo Pro at that price ?

The Solo (Free spirit) seems to be a good deal for me. Is there a real difference of controlling between the Solo and the Solo pro ?
legsim is offline Find More Posts by legsim
Old Mar 01, 2011, 06:09 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairplanes View Post
..spend $50, i think you can try the Z008 4-CH Mini Infrared RC Heli http://aerofunmen.blogspot.com/2010/...elicopter.html
If I can get a 2.4 GHz radio controlled heli for the same money, or for less, I wouldn't consider getting an infrared controlled one for the same money, unless the Ir controlled one performs much better, which is usually not the case...