HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2014, 05:07 PM
CAVU morning, to you!
United States, CO, Erie
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
Question
Futaba T8J Flaperon Programming

I'm trying to program a flaperon function and need some help.

I'm using Futaba 2006 GS receiver and have individual 9gm servos on each aileron (no flaps - 4 channels). When I go through the manual procedure and use channel 6 for flaps, I get ailerons moving opposite each other - not as flaps should.

any siggestions - help?
trhodes1 is offline Find More Posts by trhodes1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2014, 06:33 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,533 Posts
There are 6 values in the FLAPERON mix:

AIL1 (L)
AIL1 (R)
AIL2 (L)
AIL2 (R)
FLP2
FLP1

see the attached image.

If the ailerons move in opposite directions when using the aileron stick but also move in the opposite direction when using the flap switch or dial, change one of the FLP from positive to negative or from negative to positive to reverse the aileron which goes up when using the flap function.

You may also want to reduce the FLP1 and FLP2 rates from 100% to something like 30% to 50% so you don't lose roll control when the ailerons are down as flaps.

If the plane has ailerons towards the wingtips only, don't use them as flaps as this will stall the outboard area of the wing and the plane will drop a wingtip at low speeds. Use the ailerons as flaps only with full length ailerons which come all the way to the fuselage.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2014, 09:12 AM
CAVU morning, to you!
United States, CO, Erie
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
There are 6 values in the FLAPERON mix:

AIL1 (L)
AIL1 (R)
AIL2 (L)
AIL2 (R)
FLP2
FLP1

see the attached image.

If the ailerons move in opposite directions when using the aileron stick but also move in the opposite direction when using the flap switch or dial, change one of the FLP from positive to negative or from negative to positive to reverse the aileron which goes up when using the flap function.

You may also want to reduce the FLP1 and FLP2 rates from 100% to something like 30% to 50% so you don't lose roll control when the ailerons are down as flaps.

If the plane has ailerons towards the wingtips only, don't use them as flaps as this will stall the outboard area of the wing and the plane will drop a wingtip at low speeds. Use the ailerons as flaps only with full length ailerons which come all the way to the fuselage.

Ivan
Thanks for the reply. I'll try that. It does have full length ailerons.
trhodes1 is offline Find More Posts by trhodes1