HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:11 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2010
277 Posts
Discussion
Questions about data-loggers

I am trying to build a test bench to gather information on power systems
(propellers, motors, ESC's, batteries) and I have a couple of questions regarding the capabilities of Data-Loggers.

Can a data-logger show Throttle-Position?
Maybe from 0-256-bits or 0-1024-bits or 0-100-percent.

And would there be any way to add a load-cell or weighing-scale to one of the channels to measure thrust in units that can be converted to grams?

Thanks in advance
JD
JD-Slow-Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by JD-Slow-Thumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:41 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,783 Posts
The Medusa data logger did exactly that. It has a converted postal scale that functions as an accurate load cell and it records a whole bunch of parameters including Throttle position. Unfortunately they got out of that business some years ago due to the Chinese manufacturing Juggernaut. If you can find one second hand they are an excellent piece of kit.

I'm not parting with mine.

John
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Nov 20, 2014, 03:06 AM
Joined Feb 2010
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
The Medusa data logger ... I'm not parting with mine.
Sounds like a happy customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
The Medusa data logger did exactly that. It has a converted postal scale that functions as an accurate load cell and it records a whole bunch of parameters including Throttle position. Unfortunately they got out of that business some years ago due to the Chinese manufacturing Juggernaut. If you can find one second hand they are an excellent piece of kit. John
Sounds like exactly what I am looking for,
hopefully there is a modern equivalent.

Thanks
JD
Old Nov 21, 2014, 08:29 PM
Joined Jun 2011
10 Posts
An Eagle tree data logger can do what you want, you will also need an A/D expansion module and a load cell which is powered by a 5V supply voltage. The recorded data will be mV. You will not be able zero or calibrate the data in Eagle Tree, you will need to down load the data to a spread sheet then manipulate the data with your own calibration constant.
http://www.eagletreesystems.com/inde...&product_id=92
A suitable load cell might be
http://au.element14.com/measurement-...sor/dp/9638717
gliderhg is offline Find More Posts by gliderhg
Old Nov 24, 2014, 05:00 PM
Joined Feb 2010
277 Posts
Sounds like the perfect solution for building a comprehensive test-bench.

Thanks
JD
Old Today, 10:04 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,140 Posts
Here is my test bench:

Pulling Power Testing Station @ R2Hobbies - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1442088

And the details on the Arduino based thrust measuring system for the static testing:

Arduino Prop Testing Thrust Gauge - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2112595

The eLogger is pretty hard to beat for this, it works static, gets all the data except the thrust reading recorded for you, and can go for rides in the airplane too...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes