HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2013, 11:49 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Feb 2013
80 Posts
Discussion
FrSky X8R + Naza-M V1 + PPM??

I am trying to setup FrSky X8R RX on my Naza-M V1 using PPM. (I previously was using a FrSky V8FR-II, wired traditionally, and wanted to upgrade for telemetry and move to PPM for less wires.)

I hooked the new RX up per the instructions (S-BUS on X8R -> X2 on NAZA V1) and bound my X8R (jumpered pins 7+8 and both dipswitches on my DJT module set to off).

Now for my first issue/question: When I set the "Receiver Type" in the NAZA assistant to PPM I get absolutely nothing and the software displays failsafe. However, when I set the "Receiver Type" to D-BUS everything appears to work. On my Radio (9XR) I do have PPM selected under the "Proto". What is the difference here between D-BUS and PPM? Being as how NAZA assistant displays the right values, should I be good-to-go? Is this an incompatibility issue? Should I continue to use traditional layout to be safe?

What should the settings be for the Radio for PPM on NAZA? (ie, x uSec, and PPM FrLen = x mSec)
cruisin_psu is offline Find More Posts by cruisin_psu
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2013, 01:11 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2007
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin_psu View Post
I am trying to setup FrSky X8R RX on my Naza-M V1 using PPM. (I previously was using a FrSky V8FR-II, wired traditionally, and wanted to upgrade for telemetry and move to PPM for less wires.)

I hooked the new RX up per the instructions (S-BUS on X8R -> X2 on NAZA V1) and bound my X8R (jumpered pins 7+8 and both dipswitches on my DJT module set to off).

Now for my first issue/question: When I set the "Receiver Type" in the NAZA assistant to PPM I get absolutely nothing and the software displays failsafe. However, when I set the "Receiver Type" to D-BUS everything appears to work. On my Radio (9XR) I do have PPM selected under the "Proto". What is the difference here between D-BUS and PPM? Being as how NAZA assistant displays the right values, should I be good-to-go? Is this an incompatibility issue? Should I continue to use traditional layout to be safe?

What should the settings be for the Radio for PPM on NAZA? (ie, x uSec, and PPM FrLen = x mSec)
D-Bus and my X8R on my Naza Lite works. Reboot the naza after you selected D-Bus. After you have all the channels calibrated, watch the U-channel, mine jumps from any of the modes (gps-manual-atti) to FailSafe randomly, please tell me if yours do the same. I reverted back to the traditional connection.
albx is offline Find More Posts by albx
Old Nov 24, 2013, 03:52 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Feb 2013
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by albx View Post
D-Bus and my X8R on my Naza Lite works. Reboot the naza after you selected D-Bus. After you have all the channels calibrated, watch the U-channel, mine jumps from any of the modes (gps-manual-atti) to FailSafe randomly, please tell me if yours do the same. I reverted back to the traditional connection.
My U-channel appears to be steady.. sorry to hear you are having another issue. I'm using NAZA-M V1. I have yet to flight test while using this D-BUS setting as opposed to PPM... not 100% sure this is safe.. but everything looks ok in NAZA assistant for me. Would love to hear more chime in using FrSky X8R with NAZA.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 04:12 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2007
414 Posts
Quote:
My U-channel appears to be steady.. sorry to hear you are having another issue. I'm using NAZA-M V1. I have yet to flight test while using this D-BUS setting as opposed to PPM... not 100% sure this is safe.. but everything looks ok in NAZA assistant for me. Would love to hear more chime in using FrSky X8R with NAZA.
look at it in the assistant for a long time, some minutes.... mine seemed ok, but when i watched it for longer time i saw the jumps for a fraction of second
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:52 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Feb 2013
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by albx View Post
look at it in the assistant for a long time, some minutes.... mine seemed ok, but when i watched it for longer time i saw the jumps for a fraction of second
Yea, I've looked at it for a while... but your experience is not making me feel good about this setting. I'm worried that it could sporadically change modes - or worse - sporadically throw strange controls on other channels.

I am just switching to the X8R and previously was using a V8FR-II in traditional mode. I recently had a bad crash where suddenly my craft veered off (suspecting interference since I've now tested nothing appears to be broken). At the time of the incident, I was met with the split second decision of cutting throttle or trying to change modes/initial failsafe. Since I was in a safe spot to put it down and in a park not terribly far from people and big/dense trees I opted for cutting power and let it crash.

Long story short - I'm now extra concerned with reliability and would really like to get this FrSky "ppm"/D-BUS + NAZA question ironed out. It is sounding like this might be a compatibility problem... really was hoping to eliminate some useless wires here.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:59 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2007
414 Posts
Quote:
Yea, I've looked at it for a while... but your experience is not making me feel good about this setting. I'm worried that it could sporadically change modes - or worse - sporadically throw strange controls on other channels.

I am just switching to the X8R and previously was using a V8FR-II in traditional mode. I recently had a bad crash where suddenly my craft veered off (suspecting interference since I've now tested nothing appears to be broken). At the time of the incident, I was met with the split second decision of cutting throttle or trying to change modes/initial failsafe. Since I was in a safe spot to put it down and in a park not terribly far from people and big/dense trees I opted for cutting power and let it crash.

Long story short - I'm now extra concerned with reliability and would really like to get this FrSky "ppm"/D-BUS + NAZA question ironed out. It is sounding like this might be a compatibility problem... really was hoping to eliminate some useless wires here.
maybe it can be only a naza-lite problem, with some updated firmware version they solved it in the v1-v2, I really don't know and hope somebody with my same lite+x8r can confirm it.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:00 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,111 Posts
PPM or CPPM is an analog protocol that sends a series of servo channel controls as a series of pulses. Each servo channel is one pulse and the servo position is determined by the width or duration of the pulse. The first pulse is channel 1, the second is channel two, the third is channel 3, etc. The end of the sequence and beginning of the next is marked by a pulse that is about twice as long as any possible servo pulse. Before digital radio systems this PPM stream was generated by the encoder in the transmitter and broadcast as-is all the way to the receiver where the the pulses were separated out and sent to each individual servo. With the advent of digital radios this PPM stream was translated into digital codes in the transmitter before being broadcast and the receiver converted this digital information back into the old time width control pulses for the servos.

S-Bus, X-Bus, and several other similar 'Bus' systems remove this analog pulse width servo control entirely and send the servo position control to the servo as a digital code. This removes the inaccuracy and insecurity of the simple analog pulse width and allows all servo channels to be sent on one wire as a digital packet with the servo number and position data being sent and each servo only responds to its number. This digital data can be sent many times faster than the analog PPM stream as well, which is another advantage of the digital bus system.

The setting of PPM in your 9XR transmitter only affects how the transmitter talks to the transmitter module. Once the signal gets into the module it is converted to a pure digital signal. The receiver knows nothing about the PPM communication from the 9XR to the FrSky module.

The X8r receiver does not have a PPM (or CPPM) output. What it does have is S-Bus which is a digital data stream which carries control information for all of the channels. Apparently the Naza D-Bus selection is compatible with the S-Bus spec that FrSky is using. If it works on the bench then this should work in the sky. Digital communications either work or they do not - there is no maybe, there is no sometimes. Either the protocol is understood by the controller or it is not...

Yours is working, so go fly.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Nov 24, 2013, 01:55 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Feb 2013
80 Posts
J.P. - Thanks for the clarification/history on PPM. I was under the impression the FrSky X8R did PPM output-whoops! OK- so on my 9XR radio's Proto settings, is it still correct to select 8ch PPM? how do I know what PPM settings work best for my module (by module I assume you mean my FrSky DJT)? It does appear to be working.. but I'm not sure these default settings are ideal?

If the FrSky X8R S-BUS -> NAZA D-BUS can accomplish what I want, then I am a happy camper. That said, albx's experience is not making me feel further confident! Pretty much exactly what I'm worried of! Ie, some sort of frame length is not exactly right somewhere in the process. Thoughts?

There are 20+ MPH winds here today so I am going to have to wait to sky-test this I will report back if it seems this is working as it should/appears it will in NAZA Assistant.

I still have a long way to come on understanding the 9XR... probably need to start a separate thread, but I can't get the ranges to be the full extent in NAZA Assistant. I have calibrated in the 9XR menu and calibrated through NAZA Assistant. My subtrims/trims are all zeroed as they're supposed to be. It is not horribly off and my craft will fly well.. it is just perplexing why the values aren't just right! I have found other threads about this and haven't seen a definitive solution.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 02:06 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Feb 2013
80 Posts
i just ducked out for a real quick testing and it does fly... there were a few dips that I hope were wind-related. need to do more testing...
Old May 01, 2014, 09:14 AM
Calone
Mississauga
Joined Feb 2009
13 Posts
I just finished the hardware setup for my Naza-m V2.
Well, I have a JR XP 9303 Tx with FrSky 2.4GHz module and the original 72MHz Rx & module as well.
I was connecting the FrSky TFR8SB first and after playing around and switching between "Traditional" and "PPM" settings in Software assistant I FRIED one of the receivers.
I didn't see any smoke or smell, the receiver simply doesn't work and the LED doesn't work either. I hooked up the 72MHz module and the Rx and again, I was switching between Rx settings and ... this Tx DIED as well.
Now, I'm using a FrSky D8R-II Plus in "traditional mode" and calibrated the Tx, all commands work well, sticks are moving on the display using the software assistant but when I'm disconnecting the USB cable and restarting the Naza, after self check the naza LED goes to a fast blinking yellow which means no connection to Rx ro connection lost.
I wrote an email to Naza support in US last night and I'm waiting for an answer.

Any of you went thru this? Any advice?
calone76 is offline Find More Posts by calone76
Old May 01, 2014, 10:42 AM
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Sep 2006
291 Posts
Are you sure your transmitter is not in Fail Safe on the U channel? This will make the orange LED blink from NAZA.
joop1987 is offline Find More Posts by joop1987
Old Jun 20, 2014, 08:13 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,647 Posts
can the FR sky x8r do ppm? I have a new x8r reciever and im trying to put the ppm cable from my naze32 into the rx but not sure if I can?
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:34 PM
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Sep 2006
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
can the FR sky x8r do ppm? I have a new x8r reciever and im trying to put the ppm cable from my naze32 into the rx but not sure if I can?
The X8R only outputs S.Bus. But FrSky does offer a S.Bust to CPPM converter. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...M_Decoder.html
joop1987 is offline Find More Posts by joop1987