HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2013, 09:13 AM
Spain, Valencian Community, Almoradí
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
Pixar you can buy direct from ourselves or Radical RC have them in stock in the USA...
RC Airogrip is offline Find More Posts by RC Airogrip
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2013, 09:25 AM
United States, IA, Iowa City
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
thank you
Pixar is offline Find More Posts by Pixar
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:13 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,489 Posts
I just bought one. Looked like just the ticket.

Dead on arrival. Figures since I needed it this weekend for my first gas plane.

Box was undamaged. As I pulled it out, I could hear all sorts of bolts and screws sliding around in the release mechanism, both where you step, and down the tubes that drop the horizontal stab restraint.

Didn't know if that was normal. Tried the device. The foot mechanism won't work. The red safety device won't stay on the green. Tried holding it there and pushing the release with my hand. Doesn't work.

Sent email. Hopefully they provide quick instructions on what to do. I'd really like this device if it worked. Sure this is just a one time snafu.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Jul 26, 2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 03:06 PM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,489 Posts
Okay, I figured some of it out. An e-clip fell off a the tube that holds the black plastic trigger, and it all came apart. Fortunately, I sent my son and he found the e-clip on the carpet where I opened the box. Took apart everything, and fixed that part of it. However, the there is an extra L shapped clip with a 3-4mm bullet shaped column sticking out of it (see photo). I think it helps keep the safety sliding mechanism in the green. I'm not sure. Right now I have to hold the safety mechanism to the green while I push on the step, as I haven't installed this.

I *think* I know where this goes, but then it stays on the green.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:52 AM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,489 Posts
Okay, got home and got a nice email...they are already shipping out a replacement part.

My theory is that during shipping an e-clip got knocked off, which mucked up the trigger mechanism. Then, when I was trying to get the thing to work (this is my theory), I broke the above part by sliding the safety lock too hard. The item in the photo above is supposed to be longer.

I was able to find the e-clip, which fell out of the peddle when I was taking the airopult out of the box for the first time, and get the trigger mechanism working. But the safety lock function doesn't work due to the damage I caused in before I took everything apart.

The good news is I will be able to use this device this weekend for my intended purposes (start up a 60cc plane). Should be much safer than having my son hold back the stabs (which I wouldn't have done). I guess the replacement part will be here in time for the maiden, which should be next weekend.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 03:48 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,372 Posts
glad to hear everything is working out for you.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2013, 08:38 PM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,489 Posts
I've used this Airpult® some more. In the following video, you can see it in use. (My son was there because we just finished tuning the motor, which required some WOT runs. The airopult could have held it, but I wanted a little extra insurance, since I am new to gas, and had my son put his calves in front of the verticle restraints).

Anyway, some feedback.

On the 91" Extra, which has a low and large rudder, I'd recommend a piece of triangle stock that goes on top of the two horizontal extensions. As it is, I cut some 2x6 into a trapazoid, and put the tail wheel on it. You can see it in the video below if you pause at about 0:26.

Quick fun with 91" (2 min 36 sec)

Also, the legs for the landing gear stops are too short for the 91" Extra, so I can't use them.

If you want, I can tell you how much longer they need to be, if you plan to improve the product so that it will work better for this kind of plane.

It's not a bad product at all...just not a good match for the 91" Extra 300 EXP from Extreme flight. For other planes, I think it would be a great product.
Old Sep 05, 2013, 01:26 PM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,489 Posts
Here is a photo of how I cut the 2x6.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:25 AM
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
Hi 7oneWolf, did you try using the second set of tubes for the front restraints. There are two sizes one longer than the other.

Glad it all worked out ok, we were glad to help, sorry for the inconvenience.

For those of you with the larger planes, ie those with a rudder longer than 45cm, we have just received the new Airopult PRO unit, we will be putting this onto our website shortly and it will cost 150 euros including shipping.

The normal Airopult is available from Hobby King at a very competitive price now.

regards RC Airogrip SL
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:27 AM
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
No1isnormal - Take a look at the Hobby King site, it is priced at $ 109.99 I believe.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by RC Airogrip; Dec 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: wanted to add name of registered user