HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:14 PM
Johnny Rabuse
Joined Aug 2011
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
Bullworm - good to hear about your maiden. Yeah, the retracts dont like cold weather. Below 50 they start to act up and below 40 forget about it

Kman
flew my 262 today actually crashed it 31 degrees not alot of damage but the retracts worked ...
JohnnyCrash.NYC is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyCrash.NYC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:36 PM
AKA RTF
United States, NY, New York
Joined Mar 2011
221 Posts
Did a quickly wheel mod.Cut down gear doors for more wheel clearance, put on Some Dubro 2 -1/4 in. Threaded lightweights.These are rubber and a tad bit smaller than original foam tires.Less chance to bind up in wheel well.Plus not crazy about removing any foam in wheel well,especially by the leading edge.A little black sharpie on the rims and gear doors for effect.Have not flown her yet with these wheels but for see no problems..hopefully.Put 4 consecutive flights on her a few weeks ago in about 40 degree weather and a bit of wind,flew beautifully and retracts worked each time.Lucky I guess.
LindyFlya is offline Find More Posts by LindyFlya
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:20 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,130 Posts
The foam wheels are really hard and don't absorb much shock. The ones you got should be great! it will make a difference!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:35 AM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyFlya View Post
Did a quickly wheel mod.Cut down gear doors for more wheel clearance, put on Some Dubro 2 -1/4 in. Threaded lightweights.These are rubber and a tad bit smaller than original foam tires.Less chance to bind up in wheel well.Plus not crazy about removing any foam in wheel well,especially by the leading edge.A little black sharpie on the rims and gear doors for effect.Have not flown her yet with these wheels but for see no problems..hopefully.Put 4 consecutive flights on her a few weeks ago in about 40 degree weather and a bit of wind,flew beautifully and retracts worked each time.Lucky I guess.
From the looks of your old wheels you must have flown the stuffing out of this plane. I am very interested in this model, I have the Dynam Waco love that plane, how does she fly, any problems with retracts and with no flaps but guessing she will slow down for landings. Landings are not a problem for me but it is something I always practice on.
I too use the Duro wheels on my Efilte Hurriacane but have been think of using Dave Brown wheels these are softer and don't bounce as much at the end of the roll out. My field has Johnson Grass it grows in clumps and the planes sometimes really bounce around. I have these on the Waco you guys should check out this plane man what fun this is a re-paint I did on the Waco keeping with theme of the thread
http://www.dbproducts.com/store/lfwh.htm for the Dave Brown wheels

Ken Smith
Be Safe & Have Fun
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:18 AM
AKA RTF
United States, NY, New York
Joined Mar 2011
221 Posts
Ken,
Wow that's a Dynam Waco! Awesome repaint. She's a beauty. Yea ,
the stock foam wheels don't hold up very long. This Fw-190 flies real nice. Power is sufficient for any maneuver you can throw at it. Speed is respectable. A little faster than scale. Without flaps you do have to fly her in. Not really a floater .Keep some throttle on and you'll be fine. Eventually I will attempt the split flap mod. Landing into a bit of wind is your friend with this model. Flaps can only help. Overall a fun plane with great presence on the ground and in the air. Oh, I had one bad retract I had to replace when I got the plane. But ever since,they have been reliable.

LindyFlya is offline Find More Posts by LindyFlya
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:56 AM
Joined Mar 2005
1,093 Posts
Thanks it was fun and a fun plane to fly. I read in the thread where there were some bad ESC I had one in the Waco and replaced it. When I bought the second one, wanted to keep flying while painting I just replaced it without waiting to try it. I used HobbyWing Platinum 40 amp, I did a thread asking about ESCs and these come out on top.
Yes I plan to get one of these uses the same battery as the Waco, I always try to plan where I can use batteries in more then on model, cut down on cost and battery management.
Keep posting so I will not get caught off guard with little things
Thanks

Ken Smith
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:16 PM
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2003
252 Posts
Are there any better retracts out there that would replace the stock ones ?
Seems like people are trying to beef these up. ........Plus I fly off a grass field most the time.

Will some Eflight servoless fit in there ?
BIGAIR is offline Find More Posts by BIGAIR
Last edited by BIGAIR; Jan 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:45 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,622 Posts
I got some of the bigger Dynam wheels that are used on the BF109 and F4U Corsair. They look much better on this bird and I am sure they will work better, too. Only thing I have to do is trim the wheel wells and the plastic on the LG stems just above the wheels. We'll see how it goes...

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Last edited by kman24; Jan 21, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:48 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Apr 2012
256 Posts
nice whats the diameter?
bullworm is online now Find More Posts by bullworm
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:24 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullworm View Post
nice whats the diameter?
These new ones are 2.75" diameter (0.5" bigger than stock). So, things will be tight underneath. I measured the wells and there is just barely enough room to enlarge them. I am guessing that I will need to add some reinforcment in between the wells because the foam there be very thin. But, at least I won't need to cut beyond the leading edge of the wing.

When I get a chance to perform the surgery, I will report back on the results...

Kman
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,093 Posts
Quote:
These new ones are 2.75" diameter (0.5" bigger than stock). So, things will be tight underneath. I measured the wells and there is just barely enough room to enlarge them. I am guessing that I will need to add some reinforcment in between the wells because the foam there be very thin. But, at least I won't need to cut beyond the leading edge of the wing.

When I get a chance to perform the surgery, I will report back on the results...

Kman
How did the 2.75" wheels work out do you think I could go to 2.50" without enlarging the wheel wells? I am still thinking about getting this model and I fly off of grass, the 2.50" wheels seem to work very good.

Thanks
Ken Smith
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:52 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,622 Posts
Ken - I have been working on it this week and so far so good. I have the wells cut out and will soon add reinforcements since the foam is now weak in a couple areas. I see now why the went with the smaller wheels.

Kman
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:25 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
How did the 2.75" wheels work out do you think I could go to 2.50" without enlarging the wheel wells? I am still thinking about getting this model and I fly off of grass, the 2.50" wheels seem to work very good.

Thanks
Ken Smith
Put 2.5" Great Planes wheels on. Had to cut a little but not crazy, and didn't have to go through the wing, even with the popsicle stick rake job. Ground down the gear door attaching studs and the doors close tight on the forward edge, because of the rake the doors have a little gap on the trailing edge.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:43 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,622 Posts
Comanch - any pics of the GP wheels that you installed?

Kman
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:36 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Quote:
Comanch - any pics of the GP wheels that you installed?

Kman
Kman, will post some tomorrow if I get the chance. If not will do it this weekend. I was going to do the GP 2.75s but when I put them onto the wheel well openings and saw how much was going to have to be cutout I decided not to try it. Used them on the Dynam Mustang instead, and did a rake job on it with the rectangular cut pieces of wood as JPDGM described on a couple of these threads - came out real well but will have to cut the gear doors shorter on it as they wont clear the tires. Flies just fine without them though. The FW does good with the 2.5s and the little bit of rake from the popsicle stick. May do the wood insert job on it someday, but for now it's working as is.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Last edited by comanch; Feb 01, 2013 at 08:35 AM.