HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by rchank, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 04:23 PM
I used to like trees
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Discussion
Time to start blogging

There was a discussion on a thread today about the importance of sharing information through one's blog on this site. I thought about all the great stuff I've learned on several of the blogs and realized that we should all consider documenting things we've learned to help out fellow builders and pilots. Here are a few things I've learned. Bear in mind that many of these are classified as "This works great for rchank" and not as firm statements for being the only reasonable way to do something.

> If you've never scratchbuilt a plane, you should try it. It has opened up a whole new aspect of RC aviation that I find as enjoyable as the flying itself.

> Don't be afraid to try new ideas. Many of the scratch builders are current or former aviation professionals and engineers. Others are self taught. But the coolest thing is that Joe Average can come up with a brilliant way of doing something that works fabulously and is adopted by other builders.

> I'm fond of the buck-a-sheet Readiboard you can buy at the Dollar Tree. Many designs can come in at a total airframe cost of 1 or 2 dollars. I like to remove the paper from this foam after I cut out the individual parts. If it doesn't peel off dry, I put 91% alcohol on a cotton ball and wet the paper down completely. It always peels off easily for me immediately after applying the alcohol.

> I love using the clear Gorilla Glue that foams up and dries white. I laminate with it by spreading it ultra thin, just so it's shiny on one piece and then spraying a light mist of water on the other piece before bringing them together. I then use masking tape to keep the parts from shifting and put wax paper to keep any squeezins' from getting on stuff. Then weight down or clamp the snot out of the parts for at least 1/2 hour. There's more good info on Tsavah's blog about glueing and such.

Lots more tips and tricks to mention but I'm out of time for now. Will update periodically.
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2011, 04:28 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Are you referring to my comment earlyer?
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Dec 09, 2011, 11:30 PM
I used to like trees
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Are you referring to my comment earlyer?
No, there was a discussion on the thread about easy true airfoil wing construction that made me realize how important blogs can be for compiling info. I know I've learned a lot from reading them.
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
Old Dec 09, 2011, 11:43 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Oh thats funny, I was engaged in a similar discussion earlier today but a different thread rofl.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Closed Thread