HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:43 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
All my travel adjust were at 100%, but at all three instances, the servo locked up in the neutral position. Bound it to the same model as my Beast to try to take out the tx variable.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Jul 2006
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
microheli, this is funny to read but hard if it's real and the Bee in down in pieces
But you lost not the life like other Geebee pilots.
I remeber me of one aileron failure because of a damage tooth from the servogear in the Corsair and it was still controllable only with one aileron servo. Possible it lock not far from the neutral position.
Elevator failure are more unpleasant because you can save only with a knife edge and the Geebee is not the best knife edge plane
Quote:
I also had wing servo lock on one side for a second or two, wondered that the plane flow to one side and pushed ailerton against direction, suddenly lock was gone and all was perfect.
Same situation in following flight, after 4-point roll, servo lock for 2seconds .....but not at full ailerton throw. Therefore I assume that was not a linkage lock in the "Z-rod" position (maybe Z switched out of hole position)

Maybe, I should cut thin plastic shims and glue on the arm to degrease the play in the "Z" rod ?
Possible when the lock is caused by the out of hole position of the "Z-rod".
I remember me of one similar "Z-rod" Problem with the Su26 but i believe i bend only the wire and it disappeared.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:24 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,452 Posts
Gee Bee Warning!..............

It is with much sadness that i report i have finally broke one of my beloved UMX models BUT! from this experience i hope i can help others out
What happened i hear you ask, well i was on about my 5th battery a minute into the flight and at the time was doing some flat out imaginary pylon racing with very tight turns at the ends. Well it's last turn was a hard left hander and the left wing just snapped half way round and my Gee Bee fell about 8ft to the ground DOHHHH!!!!
on inspection amazingly there was no other damage but the wing, which had parted right along the fuse line and a couple of the struts were pulled from the foam, the top wing strut wire broken when the wing folded upwards . So what had happened? I think i know!
The flight before i had missed the short runway and landed in the grass, which i have done many times before, but this time it had landed a little faster and tipped over. I picked it up gave it the quick once over and no damage noticed, as usual
I then put my next battery in and start flying again as said about a minute in and i lost her. thinking about it and going right over my model "I" believe that the strut connected to the bottom of the wing and wheel pant had been loosened from all my grass landings and the stress i was putting on the wings made it let go altogether and fail. As such nothing was holding the wing from going up when pressure was put on it, hence the "Snap!"
I looked at the rest of the struts and added some thin FS CA to all of them as i did not want another to let go.
the good news is the wing glued on straight and easy as it was a clean break all the struts are now "Chuck Glued" and to get her back in the air i just need part "Wing Struts with Mounting Hardware: UMX Gee Bee R2 [EFLU4561]" so i can replace the broken top strut
The "BAD NEWS!" is here in Australia we have no spare parts yet so the ol Gee Bee will be garaged until spares arrive

So the lesson learnt! GUY'S if i was you! i'd add some glue to all your struts just to make sure they are all tight, especially if you land a lot on grass, because those struts really do hold the wing in place

hope this helps some others from suffering the same fate

cheers chuck

Edit! just got an email back from Modelflight telling me parts are in, just not on the web page yet, so YaHoo! my Gee Bee will be back in the air soon
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; Apr 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: more info
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Samething happened to mine Chuck!!!!
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:11 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,935 Posts
Just as on the real Gee Bee those struts are necessary to support the wing. I discovered a loose one on my plane, repaired it and checked all the others. We need to keep an eye on those struts. Chuck and CHN discovered if damaged the wing could fail...
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:30 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,791 Posts
That sounds like the early stages of the decline experienced by my late, beloved B3D.

For my mediocre skills, the geometry is complicated enough that each repair cycle was not quite 100% perfect.....and after a while the cumulative effect became significant.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Last edited by pugsam; Apr 11, 2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: So far, I've held off on the GB to see if it has the same issues
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:38 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,184 Posts
Chuck,

Sorry to hear about that! At least you were able to put her back together without issue. I got into the habit of checking the flying wires on mine after reading about someone else who had the problem. So far, mine have been fine. But then I have never had to land in the grass, and the only nose-overs I've had were on asphalt - so the wires haven't seen much stress.

Wind has been around 20-40 MPH for well over a week, now. I've been relegated to flying my mCP X & mQX in the house. Today, the wind is supposed to be only 5-7 MPH - right down the runway, with temps around 60 F. I plan to leave work a couple hours early so I can get in a few hours of flying before dark. Should be great Gee Bee wx!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:53 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,927 Posts
I got the Beast as a Christmas present and the Gee Bee as a birthday present.

That said, the Beast is terrific. The Gee Bee is on its way back to Champaign for evalation.

Mine has suffered the current cutout problem at full throttle and a fresh battery, short runtimes, loss of radio binding and an occasional issue with being nearly impossible to control. When it flew, it flew beautifully. Graceful, fast and just plain fun. Who would have thought a Gee Bee could pull off a knife edge?

When the brick decided to act up, I was left flying a holy terror. It was banking, diving and generally flitting all over the sky practically on its own.

Thank heaven for Horizon's world-standard customer service. I know this will be taken care of, but for now, no Gee Bee.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:15 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
As for the wing struts, mine had too much red paint on the fuselage underneath the plastic mounts and too little glue so I pulled them off, scuffed both the surface of the plastic mount and the foam below it and re-glued them...I also rubbed a sheen of Gorilla Glue into the seam along the wheel pants to stiffen the plastic braces that support them as each pant had easily broken off on separate landings...Those two issues never arose again...
Right now she is on her way back to Horizon for evaluation...
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:53 PM
Make the best of all you have
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
wing struts

Please don't glue your wing and gear struts with CA.

Super glue gets hard and easily brakes apart when stressed, better take a glue like UHU POR or similar glue that makes an elastic bonding.

Gee Bee mods:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610713

Rolf
beetyii is offline Find More Posts by beetyii
Last edited by beetyii; Apr 11, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:53 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Just as on the real Gee Bee those struts are necessary to support the wing. I discovered a loose one on my plane, repaired it and checked all the others. We need to keep an eye on those struts. Chuck and CHN discovered if damaged the wing could fail...
Gary
sad to read what happened with Chucks Bee
BUT, this important thing is mentioned in Rolf's special Gee Bee modify thread- he also had loose struts and I lost two struds after hard(er) landings or flips to the back.
The GeeBee has to check before each flight !!!!
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:54 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
928 Posts
..two dummies one think....
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:13 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,935 Posts
Quote:
Super glue gets hard and easily brakes apart when stressed, better take a glue like UHU POR or similar glue that makes an elastic bonding.
+1 on the UHU POR. CA is just too hard and does not adhere well when parts flex. Mine was repaired with UHU as that is the only adhesive I use on foam.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
988 Posts
I use canopy glue- goes on white, dries clear, bonds to foam really well and is flexible. Can get at hobby shop (usually RC-56 Canopy Glue) or at most craft shops and JoAnn fabrics (Tacky Glue). It's also light when it dries.

The only down side is you have to wait a few hours for it to cure.

+1 on the CA being brittle.
kenelder is online now Find More Posts by kenelder
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:29 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
I love Gorilla Glue. I hated the color it dries, but there's new kind that dries white. Finally great for foam repairs w/o making the plane look like.... something that shouldn't be flown. Unless its a Champ. That girl could look like a decaying whale and still be hot and sexy.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower