HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:51 PM
Registered User
kennyhoc3's Avatar
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude View Post
It does sound like yours might have been a re-box, unfortunately. Maybe if you complain and send it back, you might get a replacement...I dunno. Even when flying mine outside, they seem to manage to find every obstacle there is. You're right about the spotty radio reception. Flying outside, I discovered that you really can't let it get too far away from you. I don't even think it has a 50 ft range. The closer to you, the better.

Also, even the lightest breeze can prove to be too much for these little guys. But they are fun. Yeah, maybe repair yours and try them outside on a calm day. I thought I might experiment with them after I finally total mine. I'm not sure how, but I'm sure I can come up with something.
I got mine thursday and finally had some nice weather to fly yesterday. The wind was still gusting up to 10mph every once in a while and the mono wing seemed to handle it alright. I am not sure how I like the biplane wing yet its a little tail heavy and doesn't float as well. My biplane wing was also in need of some glue

I had one issue with flying too far I think, but I couldn't reproduce the problem. I flew maybe 60ft and it lost connection but it glided itself right down to the ground and landed better then I could have! Might have been a little luck there but You are right they do seem to find anything to crash into if you are not careful haha.

The little battery lasts forever! I was getting 15 minutes easily gliding in the slight breeze! I saw a review where a guy said he landed it and the wheels kind of tucked under like they sometimes do, but the battery came loose, lost connection, motor stuck at 1/3 throttle and it flew off into the night sky! Mine kind of did that last night but it was completely detached from the wing. So that's something to watch for when flying outside.

It feels so fragile when handling it but this is my first slowflyer
I heard the carbon fiber prop tends to break if it smacks the ground/gym floor but parkzone vapor props will fit it. I want to try a prop saver on it!

For $42 shipped I cannot complain. I had a blast the few times I flew it yesterday!
kennyhoc3 is offline Find More Posts by kennyhoc3
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:59 PM
IT MUST HAVE AILERONS
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
Sloperdude,
I would not send the Uberlites back because the airframes alone are worth the $35.
Also the cost of shipping back needs to be factored in. A few threads back I mentioned a change over to ParkZone receiver brick etc. If you own a Spektrum radio this mod is well worth the cost and effort as it mates one of the best ultra micro receiver bricks, and motor/gearbox packages with a great airframe. If you can get the flying wing airframe, it is the best of all, but they are all really good.
The greatest weakness in the Uberlites is their entire power and control package.
Sorry for the poor picture - my camera batteries were almost gone.
3Deee is offline Find More Posts by 3Deee
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:41 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2011
175 Posts
builderdude-

I knew what to expect as far as the intention of this plane- very light, fragile and not for any sort of wind. As far as spotty radio function, how about 3 feet!

I will give it one last shot outside when the rain lets up. Tower has always treated me right as far as returns, and I try to make things work before making a decision to contact them.

I want to like this as it is seconds to get ready for flight (except for battery charge time), and seems like it would be easy to fix. Maybe a tougher prop, this one looks horribly weak right near the hub. Carbon fiber is nice, but $9 for a replacement?

UPDATE: I attempted to fly outside (calm) and could not control it reliably. The surfaces don't do what the sticks say, at least not when I want it to happen. The motor/esc seem to lag a lot also. I'll see what Tower can do. I think the airframes are fine.
SLOPERDUDE is offline Find More Posts by SLOPERDUDE
Last edited by SLOPERDUDE; Nov 17, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:54 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2011
175 Posts
3Deee-

Thanks for the advice. I read the thread and you have a history with this plane. I don't own any Spektrum stuff. I don't expect 100% perfection, but I don't desire this to be a project, either. The plane is mostly uncontrollable with the current radio/actuators.

I'll see how it does outdoors in calm conditions. If the radio keeps acting as it does now, I'll contact Tower and see what they offer to do. They've always given me stellar service.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Deee View Post
Sloperdude,
I would not send the Uberlites back because the airframes alone are worth the $35.
Also the cost of shipping back needs to be factored in. A few threads back I mentioned a change over to ParkZone receiver brick etc. If you own a Spektrum radio this mod is well worth the cost and effort as it mates one of the best ultra micro receiver bricks, and motor/gearbox packages with a great airframe. If you can get the flying wing airframe, it is the best of all, but they are all really good.
The greatest weakness in the Uberlites is their entire power and control package.
Sorry for the poor picture - my camera batteries were almost gone.
SLOPERDUDE is offline Find More Posts by SLOPERDUDE
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:19 PM
Registered User
builderdude's Avatar
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOPERDUDE View Post
builderdude-

I knew what to expect as far as the intention of this plane- very light, fragile and not for any sort of wind. As far as spotty radio function, how about 3 feet!

I will give it one last shot outside when the rain lets up. Tower has always treated me right as far as returns, and I try to make things work before making a decision to contact them.

I want to like this as it is seconds to get ready for flight (except for battery charge time), and seems like it would be easy to fix. Maybe a tougher prop, this one looks horribly weak right near the hub. Carbon fiber is nice, but $9 for a replacement?
3 ft is pretty bad. Yeah there's something wrong with yours. Just make sure the battery is fully charged up because that does make a difference it seems.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:56 PM
Registered User
kennyhoc3's Avatar
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Yeah 3ft is really bad! I have now flown mine over 100ft high and probably 80ft out testing range / gliding and the only time I lost connection was when I went by the same exact place as the first time it went out. But I regained control after a second and It never happened again no matter how many times I tired lol

I love flying this while waiting for my um batteries to charge!
Sloperdude I hope you get yours figured out / fixed soon!
kennyhoc3 is offline Find More Posts by kennyhoc3
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
Registered User
builderdude's Avatar
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyhoc3 View Post
Yeah 3ft is really bad! I have now flown mine over 100ft high and probably 80ft out testing range / gliding and the only time I lost connection was when I went by the same exact place as the first time it went out. But I regained control after a second and It never happened again no matter how many times I tired lol

I love flying this while waiting for my um batteries to charge!
Sloperdude I hope you get yours figured out / fixed soon!
That's better range than I get. I'm lucky to get reception 50 ft out. I do tend to think the radio quality in these planes is very spotty. Some get a good one, and some don't. Mine is medium-bad, but it still works as long as I stay in my own front yard.

I wish I knew how to adapt it to another receiver "brick" as was mentioned a few posts earlier. Some directions on how to do that would be good.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:03 PM
IT MUST HAVE AILERONS
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
builderdude,
I will admit the changeover is a bit of a project, but can be accomplished in a few hours. The change was done in three phases. 1) the Night Vapor brick and 70 mAh battery. 2) Night Vapor gearbox with Cub/Champ motor. 3) reinforcing the leading edge of the monoplane's wing with a piece of thin carbon fibre rod.
The Night Vapor prop with more pitch twisted into it is used throughout.

The motor/gearbox changeover is optional as I just wanted more power. Most of the general improvement came with the NV brick changeover, giving me reliability and ruggedness.

Where the power increase is most valuable is in the flying wing which allows it to do basic aerobatics including rolls, and fills that void between the Night Vapor and the (sadly discontinued) UMX Extra 300 3D. With the increased power the wing is not only a great indoor plane but has no problem flying outdoors in a light breeze. Radio range has never been an issue.

I use a DX6i for radio as it's mixing functions are required. The "feel" of these planes is so much more positive with a good transmitter compared to the cheap controller that comes with them.

If I get a chance I will try to post more detailed instructions on this changeover.
3Deee is offline Find More Posts by 3Deee
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:11 PM
Registered User
builderdude's Avatar
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,900 Posts
Cool!
I guess I will have to plan on getting me a Night Vapor.

But out of curiosity, why transplant Night Vapor guts into an Uberlite, as opposed to just flying a Night Vapor around?
Is there some advantage to doing this surgery?
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:45 PM
IT MUST HAVE AILERONS
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
builderdude,
I had a spare NV brick kicking around. NV gearboxes, props and Cub/Champ motors are all dirt cheap. My Uberlite actuators were destroyed from a high speed wall stoppage, so the whole project was a no brainer for me as my airframes were undamaged. Not to mention, I hated the stock Uberlites delicate nature and poor control.

Why bother with this project? It gets 2 otherwise useless airframes into the air with completely different flying characteristics to each other and to the Night Vapor.

Don't buy a Night Vapor to butcher - it's too good a plane for that, and there is a host of cheap hop-ups that can be done to it too.
3Deee is offline Find More Posts by 3Deee
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:40 PM
Registered User
builderdude's Avatar
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,900 Posts
"High speed wall stoppage"... LOL!!!
I like that.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:50 PM
Registered User
kennyhoc3's Avatar
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Deee View Post
3) reinforcing the leading edge of the monoplane's wing with a piece of thin carbon fibre rod.
I wish I had seen this before today haha I walked outside with it to see how windy it was and the wind caught it just right and folded it lol but its alright luckily

I am tempted to go buy a mini-vapor to fly in my house with all this crappy weather xD
kennyhoc3 is offline Find More Posts by kennyhoc3
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:57 AM
Crash Tester
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
I loved my Uberlite, for one whole flight. 5mph breeze with lotsa thermal activity equals one lost Uberlite. I followed it on foot for over 3 miles before I finally lost sight of the spec in the sky. Glad I got it on sale. )
polekaat is offline Find More Posts by polekaat
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:27 AM
Registered User
builderdude's Avatar
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polekaat View Post
I loved my Uberlite, for one whole flight. 5mph breeze with lotsa thermal activity equals one lost Uberlite. I followed it on foot for over 3 miles before I finally lost sight of the spec in the sky. Glad I got it on sale. )
3 miles??? Wow!!!
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:57 PM
Formerly 'rtbreeder'
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
272 Posts
This is 4 channel, correct?
Nixus is online now Find More Posts by Nixus
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Review of Hobbico Flyzone Cessna 350 Corvalis Rx-R 57" Michael Heer Scale ARF/RTF 13 May 19, 2014 05:52 PM
For Sale Hobbico Flyzone super cub 2.4 ghz redlined_b16a Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 May 16, 2011 05:36 PM
Found Hobbico FlyZone LiPo Battery 3.7V 130mAh Battery (FOUND) AH-56 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 3 Apr 14, 2011 11:10 AM