SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 05, 2003, 05:15 AM
Kent, Washington
Joined Nov 2002
368 Posts
AstroFlight

I have to admit that Astroflight has got to be the worst vendor that I have ever dealt with. I ordered a motor/esc combo over 2 weeks ago, and still have not received it.

After about 5 days after placing the order I contacted them about why my charge card hadn't been charged yet, and when I could expect the parts to be shipped. I was told they would be sent out in a day or two.

Well, another week goes by and no parts! So, I contact them again. This time I was told that the person that is making their motors should have them done in another day or two again. I was also told that after I contacted them the first time that they ran the charge on my credit card in hopes of making the person that is making the motors to get them done.

Well, it must not have worked! It's now been 18 days and I still don't have my parts?

Anyone else out there had any similar problems with them?
Bourbon is offline Find More Posts by Bourbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2003, 10:32 AM
sal
NSP (Vermont)
Joined Aug 2000
2,695 Posts
Astroflight makes their motors in large production runs of one type at a time. sometimes you have to wait. It has been this way with Astroflight well before many of you have been modelers. You can always look around and buy from one of their dealers if you do not like waiting.
sal is offline Find More Posts by sal
Old Aug 05, 2003, 02:22 PM
Kent, Washington
Joined Nov 2002
368 Posts
It's not the waiting that bothers me!

It's the not being told that it wasn't available for shipping that annoys me!

They sent me an order confirmation the following day after I ordered it. So, why not let me know that it is in production and will be shipped when it's available, instead of leading me on?

I placed the order from Astroflight for the reason of not wanting to get some old stock from someone else that had the first run short shafts which were a problem.

Most places you order from on-line let you know the availability!

This is "bad business" in my book.

I guess if you make a good product, this makes it okay to jerk people around.
Old Aug 05, 2003, 08:37 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Bourbon,
Did you happen to ask about availability at the time you placed your order? Astroflight is a small company that deals with a lot of people. They don't have 20 operators to send out detailed status reports on every order if you didn't request that info when or before ordering. They have answered your questions when asked,you have not been ignored so I feel being "jerked around" is a little strong. Just remember the days before instant gratification. It would have taken your .03 stamp two weeks to get your order there in the first place.

Just my opinion,

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Aug 05, 2003, 09:01 PM
Aging Busdriver
Florida Keys
Joined May 2003
146 Posts
I've got 7 Astro brushless motors- two of which have needed service. In both instances I've needed to make followup phone calls well after the expected return date. They must be a small company because I had to leave answering machine messages a couple of times during normal business hours and I think their service repairman must be part time because of his limited hours. However, in each of my cases the wait for my repair has not been excessive, the service work was done right the first time, the personnel have been courteous, and I've yet to be charged a penny for a repair. Overall, I'm satisfied with Astroflight. Oh yes - and last but not least - my phone calls to the manufacturer were not international!
Captain Ed is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ed
Old Aug 06, 2003, 02:05 AM
St. Louis Metro
Joined Apr 2003
2,440 Posts
Astroflight is a small company, even though they've been around forever. 99.9% of the time when I call, it's either Bob (owner) or Michele (Bob's daughter) who answer the phone directly.

Bob's a bit cantankerous (spelling?) in his years, but still is a good guy to deal with.

They could do a bit better with order status, and knowing what the production schedule is, and where they're at on the schedule, but, not everyone is perfect.

All in all, AstroFlight produces a quality product, for reasonable prices. If they didn't, they wouldn't have been around for this long.

As was stated earlier, you could have called to confirm stock status (since I'm pretty sure their web site doesn't indicate it upon ordering), or used one of their dealers ( ) who have stock status on their web sites.
WJ Birmingham is offline Find More Posts by WJ Birmingham
Old Aug 06, 2003, 08:08 AM
Kent, Washington
Joined Nov 2002
368 Posts
I totaly agree with all of you about their quality of products and that they're a small company. Their website could use some updating as far as the availablity issues. Maybe they could even state that their expected deliveries of their products could take a couple of weeks, this would be helpfull.

It's just that in this day and age, people expect quicker delivery of a product faster than this.

As far as the jerking around statement goes, what else would you call it after you've been told "twice" that the product would be shipped in a day or two, and it hasn't?

Maybe their company motto should say, "We build a quality product and stand behind it 100%, but we move real slow"!

I'm not really angry about any of this, in fact maybe the whole world should slow down, even me!
Old Aug 06, 2003, 09:37 AM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,921 Posts
Astroflight = Great service

I keep 020's (both reversed and tractor), 010's and the 05 in stock most all of the time. I try to keep gearboxes for all of these also. I stock them with the matched ESC's.

As a small dealer, I have had nothing but great service from Michele and Bob and sell about 30-40 of their motors a month. What you are seeing is the electric demand growing faster than they can make them (especially in brushless). Look around your home field at all of the electric going on. All of the Astro motors are made by hand, one at a time. I understand that there are a lot of women winding motors each day and I know Astro does a lot of Government contracts for the cobalt versions and they are done in runs.

Yes, I guess their systems could be better so communication with you could emprove but that cost $ and there could be more Micheles but that cost $ and sometimes when you start getting big you loose control of the hand made quality that is out there. I get my emails answered in 24 hours and when there is only one answering the phone you have to take a break everynow and then as nature calls. It is nice to know that the owner is answering the mail and the questions coming into the business.

There are a lot of Astro dealers around with a lot of product in stock so I guess the best thing that could happen is for them to have a list of their dealers on their web site for you to look up and call and get one shipped that day.

I am glad to help if you need what I have.
Cliff Whitney
Atlantahobby.com
678-513-4450
BTW, call as I have a new site under construction and not all of the astro products are listed on the current one.
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 10, 2003, 04:46 PM
MultipleCrashSurvivor
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2003
2,886 Posts
I'd have to say I didn't receive confirmation or anything after ordering my minifan from them but patience paid off with the delivery of the fan.
It would be cheaper to order their products from one of the etailers here.
drksyd is offline Find More Posts by drksyd
Old Aug 10, 2003, 08:07 PM
Kent, Washington
Joined Nov 2002
368 Posts
Well, it's been another 10 days since I was told my motor/esc would be shipped for the second time, and still no signs of it. I've decided to cancel the order and take my money some place else, and it won't be to buy an Astroflight.

I still think it's bad bussiness to tell some one that you order will be shipped and it isn't, but to do it twice to someone is uncalled for!
Old Aug 10, 2003, 08:21 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,921 Posts
Motor ESC Combo

Which motor ESC Combo did you have on order?
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 10, 2003, 09:07 PM
Kent, Washington
Joined Nov 2002
368 Posts
The one for the Voyager E. I think I'm just going to spend an extra $75 and get the Hacker C40-10T and the 45 amp speed control from Fxaeromodels. I know that order will show up in 3 days!
Old Aug 10, 2003, 09:12 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,921 Posts
Don't know what a Voyager E is.
Which motor and ESC did you order?
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 10, 2003, 09:18 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,921 Posts
O, if it is the Voyager E Helicopter they are suggesting the 010 (10 turn) only 1.25 ounces. Very nice motor.

I sell a lot of the 010 direct drive and also with the standard gear and the planetary box and have had no trouble getting them so don't know what the problem could have been.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 10, 2003, 09:22 PM
Kent, Washington
Joined Nov 2002
368 Posts
Astro Flight 020 Brushless Motor for Voyager Helicopter with Variable Speed ESC (803HV)

They charged me $207.95 for the combo shipped, and that is higher than everyone else. The only reason I felt cofortable with the price was the reason of being assured that I would get the newer design motor.