HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:32 PM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Did you try the suggestion in the FAQs in post #3... i.e. AviDemux. It loads .MOV directly, and can easily trim and output a file with a direct copy mode (no re-encoding). But it does not have output option for a .MOV format. It does output to the more commonplace .MP4 format, which is a kissing cousin derived from the .MOV format. Can't you use that? Many times you can just rename the file attribute tag from .mov to .mp4 and the video will play/edit OK... they are that similar in structure.

Wow, I missed that; Try work ok, but why in Avidemux video "lagging"? I have installed all codec, just when press play "lag", after save it(export) video play normal. Even if I open original video in WMP play normal.(.mov)
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:52 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptor View Post
Wow, I missed that; Try work ok, but why in Avidemux video "lagging"? I have installed all codec, just when press play "lag", after save it(export) video play normal. Even if I open original video in WMP play normal.(.mov)
The lagging is not a codec issue by itself. I don't get any lagging video when play the native .mov files from within AviDemux, but I do get a slightly garbled audio! Being an editor, AviDemux is doing a lot more with the video than a simple player would need to do when just playing the file, e.g. things like splitting audio track from the video (for possible re-encoding), buffering the original so any filters applied can be shown in both before/after video windows during playback, etc., etc. This all takes extra memory and time to do the data transfer. If your computer does not have enough speed and memory to do this in real time, you get lagging during the playback in the editor. Once the video is reassembled and saved, a simple player only has to decode and spit out the video and audio streams... much less taxing on the computer resources. I have a pretty high powered computer, so that is why I don't get any video lag when playing the video in the editor, I think.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:35 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
Some progress on my hotspot and vignetting compensation.

I found that Avisyth is much more powerful.

With a couple of lines I substract the hotspot with a BMP file (see earlier post on how I created this), and in a similar way the vignetting. With the levels I can play a bit. Especially in the correction layer I use the gamma to correct more for dark area's than for light. Actually it's more like: 2x dark is still dark. And 20% lighter in the light areas is too light. So that's why I use the curve.

Code:
bg = DirectShowSource("TESTVID.MOV").ConvertToRGB32
hotspot = Imagesource("correctspot.bmp").levels(0, 1, 255, 0, 200)
vignetting = Imagesource("vignetting_3.bmp").levels(0, 1, 255, 0, 100)
hotspotcorrected=overlay(bg,hotspot,mode="subtract",pc_range=true)
vignetting_correction=overlay(hotspotcorrected,vignetting,mode="multiply",pc_range=true).levels(0, 1.7, 255, 0, 170)
overlay(hotspotcorrected,vignetting_correction,mode="add",pc_range=true)
For different video's you only have to change the video source (TESTVID.MOV in this case). This text code in an AVS file, and can be opened in a video editor. The script will do the filtering in the background.

I think I will make a script that automatically makes for all MOV files a corresponding AVS file with the right link to the MOV.

In the image below, you see left the processed version, and right the original. To my opinion the left processed version looks much more natural. The vignetting is not completely gone, but after tweaking I think this is the right balance.
Nice work, Mavlo77!

Have you tried to use your filters on video with different lighting yet? Just curious if your script filter parameters will need to be tweaked. If so, is this a manual trial and error process? IF so, this might favor using the Hotspot_RGB filter rather than the overlay for vignetting correction because it has a small GUI tool that can be popped open from the filter list menu via the configuration button. The tool has a file requestor for selecting the mask(s), two slider bars to vary the vignetting correction, with a preview window so you can instantly see the effects and get the best result very quickly. And the filter settings can be saved and recalled during editing via the "file/save (or load) processing settings" menu options.

I don't think this filter can correct the color in the center hotspot, but it does make vignetting correcting very painless.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:37 PM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Sep 2001
414 Posts
extracting composite video

Has anyone found a way to get composite video out of this cam for a FPV input?
kd4gfy is offline Find More Posts by kd4gfy
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4gfy View Post
Has anyone found a way to get composite video out of this cam for a FPV input?
Can't be done. I believe the video processor chip has a video out pin, but it has not been implemented with this camera design, and the pin is not accessible on the circuit board.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 13, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:01 PM
Joined Mar 2011
32 Posts
Quote:

I know a different CMOS/lens module had been tried by the developer (claimed to be from the same manufacturer of the CMOS array for the Apple "iEverything" product line). For whatever reason, it did not pan out as being feasible... could be due to cosy/benefit.

I believe the #11 needs to go with a larger CMOS (at lease 3 megapixel, and probably 5 megapixel) and a larger lens so a 1280x720 pixel array can be subsampled near the center of the larger CMOS to eliminate the vignetting and get better exposure across the entire frame.

I had seen a breakdown of the cost of components which go into the iPod touch, and that CMOS assembly is really quite inexpensive. I think the decision was more to do with it not fitting in the case, IIRC.

Speaking of 5 MP sensors, I just came across this new camera from AEE. It's pricy but the sample still image shows very natural colors, clarity and resolution (albeit with some weird fish-eye effect). AEE's products also have much better quality and reliability (I used to own an MD90)
Code:
http://www.chinawholesale365.com/aee-professional-mini-hd-dv-video-sport-camera-720p-vehicle-data-recorder-hd50.html
drzen is offline Find More Posts by drzen
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:05 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Nice work, Mavlo77!

Have you tried to use your filters on video with different lighting yet? Just curious if your script filter parameters will need to be tweaked. If so, is this a manual trial and error process? IF so, this might favor using the Hotspot_RGB filter rather than the overlay for vignetting correction because it has a small GUI tool that can be popped open from the filter list menu via the configuration button. The tool has a file requestor for selecting the mask(s), two slider bars to vary the vignetting correction, with a preview window so you can instantly see the effects and get the best result very quickly. And the filter settings can be saved and recalled during editing via the "file/save (or load) processing settings" menu options.

I don't think this filter can correct the color in the center hotspot, but it does make vignetting correcting very painless.
Thanks Tom. So far this is trial and error. Hotspot_RGB is a virtualdub filter, not Avisynth (which is text only programming). I stopped my virtualdub testing when I found that the processing settings do not store pathnames correctly. So this was a show stopper for making automatisch batch processing.

Now I work in Avisynth. Yes, it's costs more time (all manual). But once I found an optimum balance, it costs me very little time automatically batch convert all recorded MOV files into DiVX (or any other format). It's just a matter of telling virtualdub to batch convert file 1 to file x.

Actually in the video I used for testing there are very different lighting situations (before take off in the shade, sun while flying, and grass only with the famous odd whitebalance correction of the camera). In all these situations there was no color spot visible. At least in all the situations the processed video looked better than the original. I will check more video's, and let you know.

I didn't test incandescent lighting. But to be honest I don't care really as this is not where I use my camera for.

My goal is to make a script which automatically reads all the MOV files from the camera CF card processes them through Avisynth / VirtualDub and store them in a preset folder as AVI.
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:08 PM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
460 Posts
Quote:
The lagging is not a codec issue by itself. I don't get any lagging video when play the native .mov files from within AviDemux, but I do get a slightly garbled audio! Being an editor, AviDemux is doing a lot more with the video than a simple player would need to do when just playing the file, e.g. things like splitting audio track from the video (for possible re-encoding), buffering the original so any filters applied can be shown in both before/after video windows during playback, etc., etc. This all takes extra memory and time to do the data transfer. If your computer does not have enough speed and memory to do this in real time, you get lagging during the playback in the editor. Once the video is reassembled and saved, a simple player only has to decode and spit out the video and audio streams... much less taxing on the computer resources. I have a pretty high powered computer, so that is why I don't get any video lag when playing the video in the editor, I think.

Well not, I have dual core, 4gb Ram..... for example adobe premiere CS5(which is pro) works quick and good, also all other's software. I can also playback blue-ray video...

For these reason I don't think that it's problem in my computer, but I don't know where can be a problem. For editing video you really need "playback" option, to see what you can cut or edit...
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:09 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzen View Post
I had seen a breakdown of the cost of components which go into the iPod touch, and that CMOS assembly is really quite inexpensive. I think the decision was more to do with it not fitting in the case, IIRC.
How expensive is "really quite inexpensive"? The case could be modified with a "bubble" at the CMOS assembly to accomodate it's size. I don't think a case modification is much of an expense, given they came out with three different case designs to house the identical #11 Jumbo circuit board.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:13 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Well not, I have dual core, 4gb Ram..... for example adobe premiere CS5(which is pro) works quick and good, also all other's software. I can also playback blue-ray video...

For these reason I don't think that it's problem in my computer, but I don't know where can be a problem. For editing video you really need "playback" option, to see what you can cut or edit...
I agree. Are you saying you can't get any play back at all, or so slow and choppy as to be useless or too frustrating? That would be strange.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:18 PM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
460 Posts
Quote:
I agree. Are you saying you can't get any play back at all, or so slow and choppy as to be useless or too frustrating? That would be strange.
No, it's just "slow" like slowmotion, also sound is same.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
How expensive is "really quite inexpensive"? The case could be modified with a "bubble" at the CMOS assembly to accomodate it's size. I don't think a case modification is much of an expense, given they came out with three different case designs to house the identical #11 Jumbo circuit board.

$9.75
drzen is offline Find More Posts by drzen
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:38 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Have you tried to use your filters on video with different lighting yet? Just curious if your script filter parameters will need to be tweaked.
BTW, there is one side-effect I noticed. In over-exposed areas (like in very bright sky) everything is pure white (255,255,255). So if you subtract the purple hot spot, you will get green effect in that over exposed area (if... it is in the center). So when the over-exposed area moves around the frame, you will notice!

I think I can remedy this by using the current frame as a mask for applying the hot spot filter. Eg. all pixels with value >250 will not be processed. Or something....
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Last edited by mavlo77; Aug 13, 2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:39 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
No, it's just "slow" like slowmotion, also sound is same.
I have 12GB of ram, so that might be part of it, but I just loaded a 4GB .MOV file from the camera with no playback slow down. You might check your preferences to see if the play back is give high priority in your system:
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzen View Post
That's pretty cheap if includes the lens! Subtracting off the cost of the current CMOS/lens from this, it would be a worthwhile improvement. I'd certainly pay the difference if I could get even brightness acorss the video frame like my JAZZ provides (not to mention more stable color hue and white balance).
Closed Thread