HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishLou View Post
I used foam safe, I didn't know that normal CA was ok to use. Would normal CA be better than 5 min epoxy or hot glue? I'm in VA, so it will get hot and humid in awhile, someone said that the heat can affect epoxy. It seems that there is no consensus on the best type of adhesive, so I'll probably just try epoxy this time like AJ said.
From what I can tell normal CA only dissolves polystyrene type foams including depron. That being said, as with all products containing solvents, you should always test on a scrap piece of foam. This includes paint, as most spraypaints contain acetone which may or may not interact negatively with foam.

Epoxy is a good overall adhesive, but make sure you scuff the mating surfaces a little to ensure you get a good bond. Epoxy tends to not bond well to virgin epo.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:09 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
I'm looking to get a telemetry system or whatever parts I need to see my LiPo voltage in flight. This will be for a plane in the future, as I currently cannot keep my SS in the air long enough to drain the 2 cell battery it came with. It just doesn't seem like the brushed motor has enough power to climb higher than 20-30 feet in the air. This is with the stock prop, but I just fit an APC 6x4 on there so I'll see if that makes a difference. I had to cut out a small chunk on top of the empennage for the 6x4 to fit, I hope that doesn't cause any problems.

20-30 ft high? Are you sure that the prop isn't on backwards?

...or did we cover this before?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
I'm looking to get a telemetry system or whatever parts I need to see my LiPo voltage in flight. This will be for a plane in the future, as I currently cannot keep my SS in the air long enough to drain the 2 cell battery it came with. It just doesn't seem like the brushed motor has enough power to climb higher than 20-30 feet in the air. This is with the stock prop, but I just fit an APC 6x4 on there so I'll see if that makes a difference. I had to cut out a small chunk on top of the empennage for the 6x4 to fit, I hope that doesn't cause any problems.

I already have this voltage sensor to check the battery after a flight: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=22693, but I'm not sure if I should get the FrSky DHT-U or the Quanum telemetry system. I can't tell if the DHT-U has all the parts I would need to see my battery voltage, or if you have to get a separate transmitter. Any help would be appreciated.
Hobby King has a number of voltage meters. This one has not only a read out but an alarm to let you know when the battery goes below a set value. Unless there is a lot of noise in the area you can hear the alarm while the plane is still pretty high up.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e%5FAlarm.html

I just realized it is back-ordered. I know that other RC suppliers have similar items that will give you a pretty loud alarm when the batteries go low.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; Apr 02, 2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: add back ordered info
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,735 Posts
Quote:

I already have this voltage sensor to check the battery after a flight: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=22693, but I'm not sure if I should get the FrSky DHT-U or the Quanum telemetry system. I can't tell if the DHT-U has all the parts I would need to see my battery voltage, or if you have to get a separate transmitter. Any help would be appreciated.
The Quanum system is a complete stand alone system. I have one and it does just what you want.

The Frsky system works with their telemetry receivers (which can also transmit telemetry signals). It also seems to be the Tx module as well so if you wanted to convert to a Frsky system, wouldn't need a Frsky separate TX module. You connect the DHT-U to the ppm output of your Tx. An inexpensive but inelegant setup.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:08 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
Bixler flying in picnic area at CYPRESS

i hope this one don't make you sleepy

Hobbyking Bixler & Gopro Hero HD Cypress (11 min 19 sec)

westwood's channel www.youtube.com/user/9westwood9/
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
20-30 ft high? Are you sure that the prop isn't on backwards?

...or did we cover this before?
Yeah I was thinking along the same lines. Could you take a pic of your prop for us? I'm not sure how a plane can only get up to 20-30 ft though, I mean is your peak altitude immediately after hand launching?
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:26 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I just got the call, the person who has my lost bix is bringing it back tomorrow!!! It took him a month to get around to looking in the plane and finding my name and address tag!
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:48 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I just got the call, the person who has my lost bix is bringing it back tomorrow!!! It took him a month to get around to looking in the plane and finding my name and address tag!
Wow man, thats awesome! I spose people that are strange to rc stuff might not know to poke around inside. Let us know the condition its in!
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:10 AM
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
Did you buy RTF or kit version?

If RTF, I'm guessing the stock receiver won't bind to a DX5, and you'll have to use a different RX that's compatible (happy to be proven wrong though!)

If a kit, then it will be fine to use a compatible TX/RX of your own choice - I use 35mhz in mine, and push it a little further every flight.

Distance.. that's a 'length of string' question. Depends on your TX/RX choice, setup, flying environment, etc - but 'average' 2.4Ghz range is 1 Km, but don't accept this distance as fact! Many variables can shorten the range to a few hundred yards, so go easy and set a Fail Safe if you can (this will set throttle/servos to a preset if the receiver loses signal or in low power - best setting I think is a gentle circle on 1/4 throttle; this will either bring it back into range of the TX or it will eventually land without too much damage)

Unless you're an eagle (or flying FPV), 1 Km is 'out of sight' anyway - my son flies his Bix clone with the RTF gear until it's a dot in the sky.
Hello.

I bought the RTF version of SS " I'll stick to the stock Tx I guess. How do i set a fail safe? And what is fail safe?

Best,
Alvin
zaai is offline Find More Posts by zaai
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:11 AM
Joined Jan 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
... This will be for a plane in the future, as I currently cannot keep my SS in the air long enough to drain the 2 cell battery it came with. It just doesn't seem like the brushed motor has enough power to climb higher than 20-30 feet in the air.
Is that a typo? I run my bix with a 3s and the APC 6x4 and she can climb at a 50deg angle at just under full throttle until I can't tell if she's coming or going. I'd imagine on a 2s you would definitely have less power by about 1/3.

J
Goldentaco is offline Find More Posts by Goldentaco
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:15 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:

That's awesome news man,glad things worked out for you.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:19 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaai View Post
Hello.

I bought the RTF version of SS " I'll stick to the stock Tx I guess. How do i set a fail safe? And what is fail safe?

Best,
Alvin
I'm not sure the stock RX has a failsafe - mine has 2, one via the ESC (for low power) and one via the receiver/RX (for signal loss).

When the RX loses signal, it will revert the servo and throttle positions to preset positions - usually so the plane stays roughly in position or glides in a circle on reduced throttle (so it has a better chance of landing safely)

This is how my 35mhz Corona RX is set (it will be different for nearly every RX make):

Mode
III
:
enabling the failsafe
1. Turn on the transmitter with the antenna extended.

2. Turn on the receiver. The LED will blink 2 times. If the LED remains lit then the receiver is receiving correct commands from a transmitter.

3. Adjust the sticks and switches on the transmitter to the position that you feel will best protect your aircraft in the event of a loss of signal.
Typically the throttle is decreased and a slight elevator input is required to maintain a controlled glide slope. You should notice as you
set the sticks and switches that the receiver is responding indicating the transmitter and receiver are synchronized.

4. To set it up, press the scan button for 2 seconds, then release it. The LED blinks 3 times now (should it blink 2 times, then press the
button again for 2 seconds). While in mode III, press the button shortly to start the failsafe enabling process.

5. The LED will flash 2 times and then remain lit. The transmitter now does not control the receiver and the failsafe has been enabled. You
must now restart the receiver
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:56 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaai View Post
Hello.

Best,
Alvin
It depends on what radio they send with it. Let us know when you get your RTF and take a picture of all your radio pieces/parts. We might be able to help you then. Oh, did you get the brushless motor upgrade?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:00 AM
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Awesome....pics!
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:04 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
Awesome....pics!
I will tomorrow when I get it back
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat