HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:54 PM
Love the sport, not the plane
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,234 Posts
Yes. The HK servos are actually more like 3 grams. If you shorten the wires a bit, then you might be able to get it down to 2.5 grams. Maybe… This mod makes me want to get a vapor.
dylantorquerol is online now Find More Posts by dylantorquerol
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:33 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,432 Posts
Finished up the Aileron Vapor this morning and just got back from our monthly indoor session. First, complete with battery the plane weighs just a tad less than 18g. That means including a 1.5g external servo and an AR6400 brick which weighs about 0.5g more than the Vapor brick, the plane gained just 3g total.

I have been having some trouble with the aileron servo binding in one direction at full deflection. I thought I had it solved, but it happened at our indoor session, once while flying. So, no rolls till I solve this linkage problem.

However, the plane loops nicely. And, the wings don't bend upwards like a banana at the bottom of a loop.

The big thing is the plane flies very nicely. With ailerons it banks into turns and turns sharply. Or, with rudder it can do nice flat turns. It still flies slow yet has so much more control over what it can do. And, most of all, my son can fly it no problem. He had a blast with it and flew two full batteries of flying.

No video. Sorry. And, we didn't get great pictures. These are when my son was flying it.

All in all I'm very happy with how this plane turned out.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Apr 25, 2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:40 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
By gosh! That looks fine Gordon!
It just looks like it flys with more control.
I think you've hit on a very viable method of light construction.
Thanks.
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Apr 25, 2010, 09:17 PM
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,234 Posts
Very nice! Did you get that prop from BSD?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 09:22 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,432 Posts
It's a BSD prop saver adapter with a MicroInvent CF prop from BSD. I also shortened the gearbox shaft so the prop saver just touches the spur gear. That saves a bit of weight on the metal shaft, and the CF prop also saves some weight.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Apr 25, 2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 09:23 PM
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
It's a BSD prop saver adapter with a MicroInvent CF prop from BSD. It saves some weight.

Gordon
Cool!
Old Apr 26, 2010, 06:03 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
963 Posts
Quote:
No video. Sorry. And, we didn't get great pictures. These are when my son was flying it.

All in all I'm very happy with how this plane turned out.
Congratulations on a beautyfully executed project!

As for myself I had hoped to test my own 4 channel Vapor in the church after rehearsal but I made a beginner's mistake: I asked for permission, which was declined.
I could have stressed how impossible it was for it to cause any kind of damage, but no is no I guess.

New opportunity wednesday if I can convince someone to man the camera (it's another church..)
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:14 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Pouncer,
It's a pity that more people can't see the uplift and beauty of flying in a church. You would think the quietness alone of a Vapor would be recognized appropriate to the surroundings.

I have a friend who wanted to fly for a short period after his wedding, but no that was judged as disrespectful. You would think this could be seen as an indicator of the devotion of the bride. Although one that probably would not last, from what I've seen.
Regards,
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:49 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,070 Posts
Quote:
I have been having some trouble with the aileron servo binding in one direction
Gordon,
I've had a several instances of servos binding with various PZ servos - the problem in each case turned out to be poorly molded/formed teeth on the large gear. I only found the problems after checking closely with a magnifying glass. Careful trimming with a new Xacto worked.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:00 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,600 Posts
Looks great!
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:16 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Gordon,
I've had a several instances of servos binding with various PZ servos - the problem in each case turned out to be poorly molded/formed teeth on the large gear. I only found the problems after checking closely with a magnifying glass. Careful trimming with a new Xacto worked.

Gene K
Could be. But, there is absolutely no binding when the servo is not connected. And, the gear has to rotate several times to run the servo to one end. Yet, it only binds at full deflection in one direction, not part way. I checked for gear problems using my 10x magnifying headset before going flying and didn't see anything. And I don't think the behavior fits. I think I need a straighter shot between the servo and the control horn. I have a fix in mind, just not something I could do at an indoor session.

Gordon
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:06 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Can the whole shaft move inside the servo? Basically, does that little black plastic part literally rub against the case? (It almost should) Looks like you're simply going to far. That would be a simple fix on a larger Tx (reduce throw). But I think that just moving the black locking thing in, toward the case, may help.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Apr 27, 2010, 03:46 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,070 Posts
Quote:
... the gear has to rotate several times to run the servo to one end. Yet, it only binds at full deflection in one direction, not part way.
Understand the logic, but illogically, my binds were either at full aileron or elevator deflection. Turning the gear slightly would free it until the next freeze - which occurred at irregular intervals.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to your solution. As usual, thanks for all the great posts!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:04 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,432 Posts
Thanks for the input. However, I think I'm on the right path to fixing it Afterall, I've looked at it up close. Adjusting the throws on my DX7 did not eliminate the problem (I did that first). The problem is my servo is not in a straight line with the bell crank. I thought it would be ok, but it's not. I don't think there is anything wrong with the servo. I'll change it so everything is in a straight line and everything should be fine. I also have another brand new servo I can swap out with this one if necessary to double check. But, no time to do that half an hour before going flying.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Apr 28, 2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:57 PM
USA, NJ, Burlington
Joined Sep 2004
74 Posts
Vapor needs a tail

Gordon

Did you ever finalize the PDF for the tail. I have a vapor with a bad brick that I was using for parts. I discovered this thread and thought it might have a second life with a Sukhoi brick and this wing. If you have not prepared a PDF I will take a crack at it for myself.

Thanks for all your ideas

Regards

Dennis

Quote:
Fritz,
No, I cover just the top side. Covering both sides is not needed with planes that fly this slow. Look at Dave Lewis' site for weight of RA Microlight vs his clear poly micro. The Microlight covering is light, but it's still substantially heavier than the clear film. However, I thought about using Microlight for looks reasons.

Speaking of looks, I decided to make a tail to match the wing. It looks funny with the round tail and the foam wing. The weight gain over the stock tail is 0.4g. The elevator is identical to the one on my Airbender. The rudder is adapted from the Airbender rudder.

I'll post a pdf file for the tail pieces when I know they are finalized and fit correctly on the plane. And, I'll post some pics of the new tail installed on the plane when I've completed that step.

Gordon
theborg is offline Find More Posts by theborg