HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2010, 04:13 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Question
LED setup question - Will this work?

I plan to link 4-6 lengths of the HK led strips together in parallel and run them off of the flight pack battery (3s 1550mah 30c...or 3s 2200mah 20c).

I plan to attach the led leads directly into the leads of the ESC.

Here are the specs of the LED strips:
Specifications:
Standard length: 1 meter
Strip width: 8mm
LED quantity per strip(1 mtr): 60 LEDs
Working voltage: DC12V
Working current(1mtr): 400mA
Wire length(1mtr): 10cm
Weight including wire(1mtr): 11g
Certification: CE & Rohs

Will this work?
Would it create a noticeable drop in flight time or motor power?
Am I in jeopardy of browning out my receiver?
Anything else to consider?

Thanks
Rob
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:48 AM
Pile it in!
Kalamazoo Mi
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
I do not know if that would work or not ima LED noob. I have the same lights and was wondering how i could hook them up as well. Can you just put a Futaba J connector on them and plug them into the receiver? I thought they came with a connector but do not.

Confused...

I have heard of people just buying a 300mah 11.1v lipo and going directly off of that for the lights alone.
Dannyrevs is offline Find More Posts by Dannyrevs
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:36 AM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyrevs View Post
I do not know if that would work or not ima LED noob. I have the same lights and was wondering how i could hook them up as well. Can you just put a Futaba J connector on them and plug them into the receiver? I thought they came with a connector but do not.

Confused...

I have heard of people just buying a 300mah 11.1v lipo and going directly off of that for the lights alone.
i dont think you can connect it to your receiver if its over 6v, im setting up some 12 v lights with a switch to turn them on and off using the tx if all goes to plan, i think you can connect it to your flight battery . someone is sending me some pics on aother post of how to set this up .
dazzzer1 is offline Find More Posts by dazzzer1
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:21 AM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
just got the manual link there are 2 modes you can run this setup on in pic the mode 1 looks the best , could someone point out where you connect the lights, they seem to leave this bit of info out of the guide?http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...g/e-switch.jpg
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:40 AM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
sorry wrong post the switch has nothing to do with this post i ment to put this in another post !
Old Feb 15, 2010, 09:11 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyrevs View Post

Confused...

Nope, even if they would light up using the power from your receiver, they would not be bright enough...and you may cause an issue with your ESC's bec.

My question has more to do with wiring that many strips together (4-6) and it's effect on all of the things I mentioned. If you are only running one or two strips...or if you are cutting up the strips...you can simply wire them into the battery-side leads of the ESC or wire them into the leads of the battery themselves. You can also just use a separate 3s lipo (or another 11 to 12volt source). If you use separate lipo, you need to check it periodically so you don't draw down the battery to unsafe levels.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:22 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
I plan to link 4-6 lengths of the HK led strips together in parallel and run them off of the flight pack battery (3s 1550mah 30c...or 3s 2200mah 20c).

I plan to attach the led leads directly into the leads of the ESC.

Here are the specs of the LED strips:
Specifications:
Standard length: 1 meter
Strip width: 8mm
LED quantity per strip(1 mtr): 60 LEDs
Working voltage: DC12V
Working current(1mtr): 400mA
Wire length(1mtr): 10cm
Weight including wire(1mtr): 11g
Certification: CE & Rohs

Thanks
Rob
Will this work? yes.
Would it create a noticeable drop in flight time or motor power? No
Am I in jeopardy of browning out my receiver? No as long as you don't hook up to the receiver which won't work anyway as these leds really need 3s to shine BRIGHT.
Anything else to consider? Nope. Solder them all in parallel and you're good to go!

Here's my Superfly.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:07 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Thanks, Mark. Nice Superfly. Nice led work. I have actually seen yours before in the other thread. In another thread, we calculated that 4 strips would require/draw 1600mA (400mA per strip x 4 strips). This seems significant to me...and some others, but I assume you are doing it and it has not failed you. Can I ask how many minutes of flight time you are getting on your SF setup? Also, are you running a separate BEC, or just the standard ESC with an onboard bec?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 03:28 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
8 minutes on the timer using onboard bec although I don't see what the bec has to do w/ anything. I tap off the main Deans at the battery.

mw
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:26 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Will this work? yes.
Would it create a noticeable drop in flight time or motor power? No
Am I in jeopardy of browning out my receiver? No as long as you don't hook up to the receiver which won't work anyway as these leds really need 3s to shine BRIGHT.
Anything else to consider? Nope. Solder them all in parallel and you're good to go!

Here's my Superfly.

mw
im getting the same lights for mine i will be using 2 strips soldered from the wires of the main battery with a micro deans connector . what do you mean by" Solder them all in parallel "
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:51 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Mark is suggesting a parallel circuit as opposed to a series circuit. Here is a really simple diagram showing the two. The first is series, the second is parallel.

Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:32 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
My above statement wasn't entirely accurate.
We are talking about the HK LED strips, right? The individual leds are wired in parallel on the strip. All you have to do is cut them at a segment then attach wires to each segment. To add more each individual segment can be wired in series (end-to-end) which is technically series/parallel but let's not make this complicated.

mw
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:03 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
But, in general, you are speaking of wiring them in parallel to achieve maximum "brightness" of the LEDS, correct? that is the way that I wire them, otherwise with several strips wired in series, you would theoretically reduce the brightness.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:44 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
looking for some really thin wire to attach the lights to each other will servo wire work?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:33 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Yes, servo wire will work. I used CAT5 wire...which is a little stiffer and stays the way you bend it...works well too...and that is what I use.

Dazzzer1, here is a link to a recent project where I used the Turnigy switch that you are using, the HK leds, and the cat wire.