SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:15 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
TwistedGrin,
I was just browsing YouTube over the weekend looking at JPower P-38 and saw a vid where a guy had 1 motor also come off but it was right when he landed and taxi in...extremely lucky. I've got the V2 kit so will be sure to give the motor some test yanks.
Ya man check 'em twice er thrice....I yanked on mine and felt OK. Note, you have to take off the motor bulkhead mount off of the fuselage. These are the two screws that hold the motor/bulkhead mount to the fuselage. Then there are Four screws that hold the motor to that bulkhead mount. On mine...which I now know is the V2 version...this bulkhead mount is a clear plexi-plastic. I have an idea these screws came loose and allowed the motor to tork away.

The plexi-plastic bulkhead motor mount did not come off the fuselage...the motor actually ripp/torked out of the bulkhead motor mount.....CRAZY!!!!

I did notice some popping of this plane when I bench tested it at WOT...but everything flexes so much I could not tell what was popping....still don't know if it was that motor mount or not....anyway....do put this on your assembly check list. Take it off...tork it down...re-assemble...check it check it check it.

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:42 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Twisted, from the looks of the foam directly behind the motor mount, it appears that it was overheated.
That bubbly texture in the center of the nacelle is what foam looks like when exposed to way too much heat.
On top of that, it also looks like the motor mount screws seemed to have melted the plexi.
Are you sure that the screws broke out of the plexi or did they melt?

Good job taking it in without damage, I've had to do it a few times myself...more fun than a monkey full of barrels LOL
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:43 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,061 Posts
WTK, I also thought about heat issue, but remember noting this from brand new and the other side is identicle. I am begnining to think one of the motor mounts just backed completely out, the other gots loose....enough to rub against the nacelle. Proably did generate enough heat to soften the plexi-plastic mount and tork its way out of its other three holes.....the nacelle foam is the same on the other side, so I don't think it melted the foam.

The motor smells fine, and spins freely but I won't bother powering it up since the wires are all twisted and mangled. Now the motor wires did get melted together....I could heat shrink them but I would never trust them again. So yes..it did get hot but not sure when it got hot..for sure after the wires touched each other as they twisted together the moment the motor broke loose...and even until I was able to unplug the battery.

It is such a cool plane and not seen that often...I must have one ready to fly anytime....and it was really fun to land...was infinately bummed when that bbbbrrlrlrlrlaaap sound was heard. I am looking forward to flying it again ASAP. This is another great TurkeyBuzzard chaser too.

TwistedGrin
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:50 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,554 Posts
Quote:
Rather than buying or resoldering to reverse elevator servos,
Resoldering will NOT reverse the elevator servo!

You should be able to mix it easily, or find an inline reverser for just a few bucks.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:58 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis View Post
Resoldering will NOT reverse the elevator servo!

You should be able to mix it easily, or find an inline reverser for just a few bucks.
I beg to differ you can resolder to reverse the servo...I've done it
03svtsnakevert is offline Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:39 AM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,554 Posts
Sorry, then I misunderstood.

Most people that attempt to rewire a servo reverse the wrong thing and smoke the servo. (I've done that myself and seen many others do or propose the same) Can you show me your successful technique?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:45 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Sure...here's the link

How to REVERSE a Servo. (4 min 32 sec)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:42 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,779 Posts
I've watched those vids but my soldering skills is not nearly good enough to do such things for these tiny 9 gram servos.

The inline reverser is an option but programming mix would probably be better if I still have spare channel on the RX. I've tried doing mixes before on other planes with success on some and terrible failures (crashes) on others so was hoping someone has good solid procedure for me to just follow.
dude_109 is online now Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:19 AM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,554 Posts
I'm sure it can be done, but you need to talk to someone with a DX7 to get the particulars. You need to slave the reveresed channel to the elevator, set the slope to -100%, and probably set an offset so they both find neutral in the same place.

You might try the radio forum for a DX7 programming expert?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:26 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,973 Posts
I know it's probably been given somewhere in this thread, but couldn't find through searching the largest battery someone's running in a V2.
With the removable canopy it looks like a pack longer than 120mm will fit no problem, but without trimming the width is the same 35mm and height 30mm as the V1.
Is anyone running larger than 2200mAh 4s in their V2, and could you please give the brand and C rating?
I'd like to run a 2600-3000 but the likely candidates on HK all seem to be either too wide or too tall, like these:
Nano-Tech, 44mm height:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20437
Zippy, 45mm height
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21787

thanks!
Kurt is online now Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:32 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
We are either running a 3300-4000
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:50 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03svtsnakevert View Post
We are either running a 3300-4000
Thanks, which brand and C rating?

When you get a chance, could you pls take a photo of it in place?

thanks much!
Kurt is online now Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:22 AM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,917 Posts
Quote:
I've watched those vids but my soldering skills is not nearly good enough to do such things for these tiny 9 gram servos.

The inline reverser is an option but programming mix would probably be better if I still have spare channel on the RX. I've tried doing mixes before on other planes with success on some and terrible failures (crashes) on others so was hoping someone has good solid procedure for me to just follow.
Servo City will reverse a new one for you. I got a matched pair from them for the elevator on one of my P-38's.

http://www.servocity.com/index.html
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:22 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I know it's probably been given somewhere in this thread, but couldn't find through searching the largest battery someone's running in a V2.
With the removable canopy it looks like a pack longer than 120mm will fit no problem, but without trimming the width is the same 35mm and height 30mm as the V1.
Is anyone running larger than 2200mAh 4s in their V2, and could you please give the brand and C rating?
I'd like to run a 2600-3000 but the likely candidates on HK all seem to be either too wide or too tall, like these:
Nano-Tech, 44mm height:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20437
Zippy, 45mm height
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21787

thanks!
I have not flown with this battery yet:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21350

It will fit, albeit very tight fit. I will need to remove just a tad bid of foam for it..but it is nearly the same size as my Genesis 2800mAh 3S 55C

Best Regards,
TwistedGrin
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:58 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Servo City will reverse a new one for you. I got a matched pair from them for the elevator on one of my P-38's.

http://www.servocity.com/index.html
I've ordered from them in the past. Good to know about that service.
dude_109 is online now Find More Posts by dude_109