SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:48 PM
Joined Mar 2007
91 Posts
Discussion
transmitter lipos

I am seeing more guys replacing their tx battery with a 2500 lipo pack.I have also read posts that installed incorrectly fried the radio.but the good side is the lenght of flying in between charges.and rather than overnight and nearly every flying sesssion you can go a week or even a month.so what does everyone think is the lipo going to become standard and replace the current 9.6v pack.?would like to hear what everyone thinks and if you are using a lipo tx pack is it as good as advertised ?
flapsdown is offline Find More Posts by flapsdown
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:53 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2002
576 Posts
Our 2500mAh TX pack was our first product when we entered the RC business. With thousands in the marketplace, we regularly receive comments about how long guys fly between charges.

http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...products_id=32

Mike
www.CommonSenseRC.com
mikekomm is offline Find More Posts by mikekomm
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:00 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
I use NiMh and they are good for much longer tha a few days or a couple of flying sessions.Been doing it for years.

Quote:
02-06-06 Sanyo 2500's after setting for 58 days
Time / Volts
Start / 10.1
5 min. / 9.8
30 min. / 9.8
60 min. / 9.7
120 min. / 9.7
180 min. / 9.6
240 min. / 9.5
300 min / 9.4
330 min / 9.3 Low Voltage Alarm
Latest results of two year old Ray O vac Hybrids and new Sanyo Eneloops
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=153

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:01 PM
Joined Feb 2007
1,278 Posts
Get a Sanyo Eneloop pack and don't worry about the lipos. With eneloops you can still use the wall charger or you can use your hobby charger with no balancing required. This is coming from a guy who has tried the lipo transmitter battery idea.
Carlyle Harper is offline Find More Posts by Carlyle Harper
Old Feb 17, 2009, 06:46 AM
Dartmouth ns
Joined Mar 2004
28 Posts
battery voltage regulator

has anybody used voltage regulators to reduce the voltage of 3S transmitter and 2s receiver lipo batteries from the fully charged voltage 12.5 volts and 7.5 volts to a voltage level that suits the radio.
Also does anybody have any circut drawings of any such unit,s?
Thanks
Earl.
geink is offline Find More Posts by geink
Old Feb 17, 2009, 07:04 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,355 Posts
I personally use NiMh 2500 AA in my pistol grip TX, heli TX & plane TX & I forgot how long they last without charging because they just last so long. I am also very happy to know that I donít have to worry about leaving my TX on & killing my more expensive lipo packs compared to my little AA.

Just my 2 cents and with the economy its only worth 1 penny & I AM CANADIAN so it worth less with the exchange.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 17, 2009, 01:21 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
Lipos don't kill TX. TX kills lipos. If you forget to turn off just 1 time even. Ask me how I know. Cheap Target Ray-o-vac NiMh best choice of all.

Friends don't let friends drive with lipo in their TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapsdown
I am seeing more guys replacing their tx battery with a 2500 lipo pack.I have also read posts that installed incorrectly fried the radio.but the good side is the lenght of flying in between charges.and rather than overnight and nearly every flying sesssion you can go a week or even a month.so what does everyone think is the lipo going to become standard and replace the current 9.6v pack.?would like to hear what everyone thinks and if you are using a lipo tx pack is it as good as advertised ?
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Feb 17, 2009, 02:35 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,457 Posts
+1 for the use of Eneloop or Hybrids. The same mah and voltage as lipo without any of the lipo special handling. Nobody yet has convinced me that lipos in a tx are in any way superior or even on par with modern nimh.

It's pretty rare that anything in our hobby is "as good as advertised". It's usually those that are marketing lipos for your tx that say they are superior, know what I mean?

More info is just down the page a bit: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488897

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:08 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
What you are talking about is UBEC and they are so cheap (not from Dimension tho) nobody in their right mind would build one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geink
has anybody used voltage regulators to reduce the voltage of 3S transmitter and 2s receiver lipo batteries from the fully charged voltage 12.5 volts and 7.5 volts to a voltage level that suits the radio.
Also does anybody have any circut drawings of any such unit,s?
Thanks
Earl.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Feb 19, 2009, 04:13 AM
Joined Apr 2008
41 Posts
2500MAH,11.1V 3C TX BATTERY IS SO POPULAR IN THE RC MARKETPLACE.. AND ABUT THIS ITMES ,SPEC IS T*W*L=24*30*90mm. we are manufacturer in china, if you want to retail price , you can get them from MRC or -our exclusive agency.
leoyan27 is offline Find More Posts by leoyan27
Old Feb 19, 2009, 04:17 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,315 Posts
All lipos in ours;
DX7,
FF7,
FF6,
2- 3PM pistol grip TX's.

FF6 used for my sim,not charged since late last yr.
Brod..
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:22 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
I am also using a 3s 2500mAh Lipo in my Futaba FF10.
With 3 diodes in series i have a voltage drop around 2,2V.

I made an discharge curve of the lipo with 200mA.(this is what the TX needs)
11,1 V still 100min (about 330mAh remaining)
11,0 V still 40min (about 130mAh remaining)
10,9 V still 25min (about 90mAh remaining)
10,8 V still 20min (about 65mAh remaining)
10,5 V still 10min (about 30mAh remaining)

so my TX beeps at 8,5V which is 10,7V at the Lipo.
So enough time to land, if i forget to check the voltage of the lipo.

Normally i load the lipo, when it shows 9,0V at the TX screen.

For safety i use 9 diodes, that means 3x (3 diodes parallel) diodes in series.
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:11 AM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,374 Posts
I've been using 3S lipos in my Optic 6 for 2 years with no problems. I installed a used pack that wasn't handling the amps from flying and extended its life another year. I just recently replaced it with a another pack.

I enjoy the extended "on time" I get with a lipo pack, but some people are scared of the problems associated with leaving the Tx. on. It is the same if you leave a lipo pack plugged into an ESC. To each their own.

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is online now Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:01 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
I use eneloops in my Futaba transmitter and it works great. I see no reason to take extra risks and use lithium technology. That's just me, though.
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:11 PM
Dartmouth ns
Joined Mar 2004
28 Posts
I bought my transmitter lipos from hobby city in Hong kong. At that time they had two different transmitter packs for sale. one was the normal low discharge and and the other was the same but it had a cutoff built in that cut the power at a preset voltage before the battery was damaged , it cost $2 more . I bought the first kind , I dont think they sell the second kind anymore.
I think most ,if not all power tools that use lithium power have a cutoff built into them.even your cell phone.
geink is offline Find More Posts by geink
Last edited by geink; Feb 19, 2009 at 12:17 PM.