HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2007, 06:02 PM
SVX
Joined Oct 2002
633 Posts
Discussion
Ideas needed for seaplane

Well the seasons have changed and I find myself seeking a quick and cheap scale seaplane that I
can fly off the snow here in the north. I am aware of the Dare PBY but would like some other
alternatives,,,maybe ARF? in the 30-40 inch wingspan. Tell me what you got, Thanks SVX
SVX is online now Find More Posts by SVX
Last edited by SVX; Nov 29, 2007 at 06:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2007, 07:51 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,613 Posts
I would think that any of the med size planes on GWS floats would do well off of snow.

Might just want to get something like a Beaver and put skis on it.

I would think that most snow covered fields would be a bit 'hard' for a flying boat type design. Pontoon floats would allow some suspension.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 30, 2007, 04:37 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
if you don`t mind foam, look at GGRNs Marlin. The plane looks very very nice and is pretty scale... wingspan approximately 52in weight 15oz

build log here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=3&pp=100

Takeoffs from snow are a breeze.. she`ll be airborne in about 20ft. flies 17mins on 800mAh 2cell Lipo

Whole electric setup from unitedhobbies can be had for around 60USD...
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:35 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX
Well the seasons have changed and I find myself seeking a quick and cheap scale seaplane that I
can fly off the snow here in the north. I am aware of the Dare PBY but would like some other
alternatives,,,maybe ARF? in the 30-40 inch wingspan. Tell me what you got, Thanks SVX
I hae been very short on building time myself, lately...so have been dabbling in ARF scale seplanes.

A nice smaller ARF PBY is the fairly new Electrifly PBY, but it is a hair larger than you are thinking about. Lots of talk and pictures about it over in the waterplanes forum....about 139.00 and good value for the money.

Also, the new little ARF electric Seawing foamy seaplane from Electrifly is a real winner...I love mine. about 99 bucks most places, but some some discount it a little.

I recently purchased the foam airframe parts only for the Taylor "Coot A" look alike that parkflyers.com sells as the "Hybrid-Air". It is rumored to not fly all that great as an out of the box RTF, but I think with a careful lightweight setup, added fin area and good control setup hygene, it will make a neat like stand off scale Coot A.

The wings and complete fuse with tail assembly are only a little over 40 bucks, purchased as spare parts.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Nov 30, 2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 06:12 PM
SVX
Joined Oct 2002
633 Posts
Iíve got a little GWS cub on floats that I fly and I love it. The Marlin looks fantastic Does
GGRN (?) have any other seaplane plans? How does one locate said plans?

On the other note the PBY may be my best option. I have a kit of a widgeon that I could blow
the plans up a little and scratch build. I sure like the looks of the plane, might just go this route.
Keep them coming guys, there's always next year too
SVX is online now Find More Posts by SVX
Old Dec 01, 2007, 02:14 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
GGRN is a member of rcgroups, PM him for the plan he`ll mail it to you.
Depending on the size you want it the ortiginal is printed on A1 Paper size (don`t know what`s that in US size )

There is lots of imformation in the build thread.

As of now, i don`t think he has another seaplane plan but i know there are some in the works.

Cheers
MB
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber