HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2001, 11:59 AM
Arlington ,Tx ,USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
Simple idea?

Anyone tried making a Simple 400 fuse out of 1/16" balsa and the covering it with .75 oz glass yet? I was thinking of using triangle stock and really rounding down the sides. I already started cutting 1/2" off at the tail, and angling it back to the main fuse(from the bottom)..Looks a lot better when it tapers to the back, instead of being 1" all the way back and square. What about tryng to thin the wing for more speed?
Duane is offline Find More Posts by Duane
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2001, 01:05 PM
Pylon freak
Rijnsburg,the Netherlands
Joined Jun 2000
376 Posts
I used 1/16" (1,5mm)balsa for the whole fuselage without glassing for my pylonracer. I also used 7 x 7 mm triangular stock in front of the wing, 5 x 2 mm after.
See: http://home.planet.nl/~raven274/pylonracereng.html
No real problems untill sofar. Only one little crack at the underside due to a rough landing. I think mine lands faster than a simple 400. Mine is 16 oz( to heavy I know ) with about 8 square dm of wing area. The wing is 8,5% thick

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paulus (edited 07-15-2001).]
Paulus is offline Find More Posts by Paulus
Old Jul 15, 2001, 07:21 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
Jensst built a highly rounded fuselage as did a couple of others. I have read that even others glassed theirs.

My own partially glassed fuse chatterd regardless. I have no doubt it adds durability but the triangle stock may be the easiest method.

I have not sanded the wing but did try a wing from an SSP 400. This thinner wing did NOT seem to improve speed much.

Please do let us know how yours turns out
poobs is offline Find More Posts by poobs