HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2014, 10:25 AM
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Question
Newbie Flyer Super Cub DSM

Hey everyone! My first post ever on RC Groups. Recently decided to get into RC flight and purchased the Super Cub DSM with the Spektrum DX4 Transmitter.

Being a newbie and waiting for a fairly calm evening to fly proved to be very hard to resist. Finally after finding a calm evening I had some family members try to hand launch the plan so I could get on the sticks as soon as possible to prevent a crash. Unfortunately this resulted in the plane heading directly into the ground even with elevator in full up. After trying this and watching my NEW plane almost destroyed three times in a row I decided a ground takeoff would be better.

After successfully getting it into the air I did fly and had several light crash landing and feel fairly comfortable moving forward.

Only thing I am concerned about is why it is so easy for others to hand launch and for some reason I am unable to. Can someone please give me some insight into this.

I am getting pretty good at doing repairs already. My brother couldn't wait to fly it and of course now I have to replace the prop gear because he sheared it after a rough landing on his maiden flight.
Mtboicourt is offline Find More Posts by Mtboicourt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2014, 05:39 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
662 Posts
Take a good look at other people doing with the same plane. This plane should be at 3/4 to full throttle at launch. Let the plane build up speed not to much up elevator at first. Always into the wind. Horizon Hobby has video on you tube and this is first plane they show you. See what he is doing your not and what you are doing he's not.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
Old Jun 09, 2014, 06:00 PM
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Thanks for the info! Like I said before. I am an extreme newbie and need all the help that I can get!

Thanks again!
Old Jun 09, 2014, 07:46 PM
Joined Mar 2014
21 Posts
The ACT could be the problem...I had issues with my motor cutting out with too much up elevator on take-off on my Super Cub and Mini Super Cub. After disabling the ACT system, all has been fine.
Chinthing is offline Find More Posts by Chinthing
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:22 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,204 Posts
ACT is a pure marketing tool designed primarily to sell plane parts. Pull the plugs to disable it, NOW!

ACT works by using sensors looking at the ground and horizon. It differentiates shade (dark ground/light sky) and tries to keep them that way. If the plane goes up or down too fast and the shade isn't right it 'takes control' AWAY from you and essentially neutralizes the controls. You can achieve the SAME result just by letting go of the sticks. Of course new pilots don't they just over correct some more. The high wing Cub will self correct in time but not immediately.

If ACT kicks in up high, no problem, but then letting go of the sticks would work also. If it happens down low you have NO ABILITY TO CORRECT SINCE CONTROL IS REMOVED! Just like letting go of the sticks once you pointed it straight at the ground from 20 feet up it's going in! Its not useful down low and wrecks more planes than it saves, but it sure sounds good to new fliers. Since they can't fly anyway and they wreck anyway they figure it would only have been worse without it. They can't differentiate between their short comings and ACT's problems.

So it works up high where you don't really benefit from it and screws you up down low when it doesn't help. It also gets totally confused when you fly over water, snow or very light ground surfaces (light concrete, sand) since it doesn't know what to do with that. It's NOT SMART, it's just a shade sensor. What it does best is lure in new fliers. Great marketing scheme.

Realistically a newbie going it alone will have to suffer through a lot of crashing and fixing before they achieve some competence. Pilots of full sized craft will tell you that it can be more difficult than learning to fly a real plane. The consequences are just not as nasty.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:45 PM
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but if I want to disable this feature (ACT), I would do so by unplugging the wire going to the ACT slot on the ESC? Will that "mess up" any of the other flying mechanisms.

Sorry for the ignorant questions. I am a total noob!!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:18 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,204 Posts
There are 2 sensors going to the RX/ESC. Unplug those wires. There's also a switch but it's easy to hit it. ACT does no good so best to simply make sure it can't hurt you.
Unplugging will hurt nothing....and help a lot. It won't actually help YOU fly better, it just can't mess you up anymore.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Last edited by flydiver; Jun 10, 2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 09:03 PM
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Thanks! Will try that as soon as repair parts are in and ready for next flight!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:56 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,252 Posts
I have flown my Super Cub, and I hand launch it.

As others tell you unhook the ACT ( simply unplug them ,tape them out of the way)

about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle will lift the plane up rather fast .

It takes time getting use to the plane, but it is a great flyer.

I also took a SAFE ESC from the New Super Cub S version and installed it in my Super Cub.

It has the panic button that allows the plane to be leveled in a moment...it has 3 modes- Beginners- Intermediate-Experienced that helps one learn to fly.

I installed it to see what it does, and it does work, as designed.

The Super cub does not really need that SAFE system but it would help someone who has never flown.

I simply like to experiment sometimes and I wanted to see what it does and it works great .

Taking off from the ground should be easy to as is, even better with the SAFE installed

But either way the SC is a great plane

The SAFE / ESC unit also has a AS3X stabilizer built in, helps on those windier days some.
That was the advantage I learned from that experiment .
AS3X works very well.
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
Old Jun 12, 2014, 09:24 PM
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Good info! I will keep that in mind.

I unhooked/disabled the ACT and flew tonight with no problems. I did not try to hand launch though. ROG take offs work well with enough hard surface to get speed. My only problems now are disorientation and landings.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 09:40 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtboicourt View Post
Good info! I will keep that in mind.

I unhooked/disabled the ACT and flew tonight with no problems. I did not try to hand launch though. ROG take offs work well with enough hard surface to get speed. My only problems now are disorientation and landings.
A Flight Sim can help with orientation for most beginners, and everyone actually

Once you get use to the plane coming at you some, it becomes muscle memory and the controls will seem as normal as breathing

Now as for landing everyone has issues with landings, even after years of flying ( many you tube video's attest to that fact )....but practice makes it easier , and there are only a few true perfect landings, if any at all......
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:55 AM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
207 Posts
There seems to be a bit of a learning curve for hand launching, both with the basic technique, and also with the specific plane.
I had some problems with every one of the planes that I hand launched. A little thinking about what the problem was (not enough throttle? Trim not right?) and I have achieved success with all of them.
I am starting to think that hand launching of these small/smaller planes, once you get through that learning curve, is a better way to get the plane in the air. The question to ask is "am I trying to learn too many things at one time?" I believe for a beginner, he/she should first get the plane off the ground (ROG); get it well trimmed; get used to how much throttle is required; and then move on to hand launching.

A question by the OP was "why it is so easy for others to hand launch and for some reason I am unable to. Can someone please give me some insight into this."

1) The person is very experienced with the hand launching technique
2) And experienced in hand launching that airplane
3) And the plane is well trimmed
4) And the throttle settings are correct for that plane

That's a lot of "and's"!!!!

Regards
Joe Perrone is offline Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:59 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
967 Posts
I have seen few poor hand launches where the launcher aims the plane upwards, in the logical belief that up is where the plane should go. In fact the aim of the launch is to get the plane flying, and to do that it has to build up flying speed, which it can most easily do with a flatter launch. As Joe Perrone says above, hand launching is a skill, as is gaining control of the plane after launch.Practise makes perfect.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Jun 13, 2014, 07:14 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,252 Posts
I hand launch everything I fly. The SC is no different. I had no issues hand launching anything.

People are told by video's on you tube to throw the plane , cast it in the air....blah blah blah

a Proper hand launch the plane takes off out of your hand...to know the throttle precision is simply based on the plane taking off out of your hand .

A Champ for example will take off out of your hand at 1/4 or less throttle.....a Super Cub is 1/2 to 3/4 throttle or more,it even depends.....plus if you are facing into the wind or not

Depending on the plane a simple up elevator trim setting to make the elevator slightly rise, as the plane rises one can easily turn the trim down as you have to trim it anyway.

( HH 's new Beginner SAFE system utilizes that concept, set it in beginners mode and the elevator is slightly elevated to be able to take off, hand launched or from the ground. )

Best way to learn throttle control quickly

having ROG take off's is far harder as many things can go wrong even faster.
And it takes longer to learn to get it right
From tipping over, not enough speed trying to force it up with not enough speed, pitching to the right or left and over or under control etc etc

I have learned which ever way you have found to be the easiest for you is the right way to do it....no matter what anyone else states.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:00 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
517 Posts
In windy conditions, I often hand launch my SC, EVEN WITH THE FLOATS ON!

I too had problems initially. The problem turned out to be a combination of not enough throttle, along with too light of a toss. If you start out with too light of a toss, you are essentially launching your plane in a STALL configuration, inviting disaster. Pretend it is a glider and toss accordingly, and you will avoid stalls.

Caution: Don't go wild! Your toss should be straight and controlled. Concentrate on the plane going straight (wherever that might be) to avoid a "wild pitch".

I have never had another person hand toss my plane, especially a non-pilot. The fear factor of that noisy spinning blade is enough to cause a wild pitch.

Here's an example; not the best, and not the best landing for sure.
Super Cub FPV over Port Austin Harbor : HD #16 keychain camera with fisheye lens (11 min 48 sec)

Good luck and happy flying!
mybad is online now Find More Posts by mybad
Last edited by mybad; Jun 15, 2014 at 11:09 AM.