HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2014, 05:07 PM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
Discussion
Coaxial heli for Devo 7E

Hello everyone
I have made a mistake with buying Walkyra Super CP with Devo 7E transmitter. Their web site says "Designed for begginers" (http://www.walkera.com/en/showgoods.php?id=497) which may be true but then I am really lame pilot
I started with friends coax and cheap heli (don't know which one because it was rebranded by local shop, costed about $40), as it was fun, I bought MJX T38 to have two helis in office I was able to land with them on 10cm x 10cm place as the only one in the office Mine T38 has toilett flush effect unfortunately. I found a way how to pilot even with this (less precision though) and I tried even some advices from internet.
Then I decided to go on higher level, I jumped over fixed pitched helis and bought Super CP - Collective Pitch heli.
After three weeks of practicing in big office, I am unable to fly it. Maybe it's broken (myrcmart.com says they tested it before shipping) or I am not that mature for CP heli yet

So I decided to put SuperCP into the closet (or sell it) and use Devo 7E with new BNF version of coaxial heli. Deviation software on Devo 7E will let me controll without hardware changes all Walkyras with radio control (even the older ones), all Blades and some Nine Eagles.
After some research, I found Blade mCX/mCX2 that are not that expensive, has four channels and seems to be good for me - stable. There is Scout CS too but it's only 3 channels (but costs half of mCX2).
Would it be a good choice? Or should I buy some different models? I would do hardware changes on Devo but I would prefer not to as maybe I will return to Super CP some time

Thanks for any opinion
skkayman is offline Find More Posts by skkayman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:35 PM
Joined Dec 2013
125 Posts
You might look into the blade msr rtf. You can get into it for 59.00 or Get a quad the nano qx is a blast and will teach you a lot before moving onto the cp heli. It is a blast to fly very stable and durable. Has slow and fast mode. Than has agility mode which will take something to master. When you can master agility mode you are on the way to cp heli.
sprint11 is online now Find More Posts by sprint11
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:07 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
+1 for what sprint11 said. A Super CP is definitely much too difficult for a beginner. But, unless you are very old, there's no need to go to the other extreme. Most people find an MSR or Nano Qx are excellent, durable and moderately challenging trainers. You won't get bored.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 16, 2014, 03:13 AM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
Thank you for your responds
You persuaded me for Blade MSR, I was afraid of buying fixed pitch heli after my mistake with CP But after reding reviews, it seems to be heli for my (at this moment). It can be slow and is easy to let the heli hover and can be fast and responsive if I want.
Quad Nano Qx seems very cool, I like the modes which I can switch when I get good with piloting it and get higher. But I never like the quads.. Maybe it's worth rethink it now as I can get Nano Qx BNF cheaper locally then MSR.
I am from Slovakia so buying it in Europe makes a lot cheaper shipping. I found MSR for $59.99 but shipping was mostly around $100.. Locally I can buy MSR RTF for about $155 after conversion from euros and I won't pay taxes. But Nano Qx is $100 locally
a lot of eshops does not sell MSR - they tell it's discontinued :/ But I found MSR X which is flybarless and harder for me to control pretty cheap. Why?

I will be searching for MSR for reasonable price. Oh, I am 29, not that old I think
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:50 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
If you are 29, seriously, get the Nano Qx. It's a lot of fun and will fly circles around an MSR. The MSR was discontinued once, but they brought it back. The MSRx is probably harder to fly than the Walkera Super CP. The MSRx is discontinued.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 02:02 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,191 Posts
Coaxial heli for Devo 7E

I agree. Get the Nano QX. It will turn left and right. Fly backwards and forwards, sideways evenly and predictably.

Then in agility mode, it'll teach you the necessary skill to fly your Super CP. Of you crash, there a good chance it lands in it's feet and you can simply lift off again. More time in the air means quicker to learn the muscle memory necessary to be a competent pilot.

The mSR likes to turn right. But left turns are difficult and not symmetrical versus the right turns. Indoor, my mSR runs out of room before it can complete a left turn circuit when going fast forward flight.

The flybar is easy to break from my experience. So is the frame's canopy post. And as the components of the head wears, you start getting the dreaded Toilet Bowl Effect (TBE).

I'd skip the mCX2. It's attractive to newbies because of the full fuselage and navigation lights. But it gets boring very quickly. On fast forward flights inside...left bank turns causes the blades to strike each other, causing the bird to fall out of the air. Take it outside, it can not fly if there is even any hint of a breeze.

The mSR and mCX2 has it's place. And we're good back when there's nothing else many years ago.

Nowadays, the flight characteristics of the NanoQX is so good. Easy for relative beginners...and with the ability to keep it fun or as a flybar less training tool for the intermediate.

It also flies outside very well. And the parts count is very little. So you don't have to stock up in very many spare parts.

BTW, the Devo7e radio is one of the best thing you can invest in as a newbie. It opens up access to many different brands of flying vehicles. Versus spending the money on a RTF TX that Blade sells with their kits. So the SuperCP purchase is a blessing in disguise.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Apr 16, 2014, 02:57 PM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
I have just updated my Devo 7E to Deviation firmware so now I can get Blade heli without their radio and save a few bucks
I am putting SuperCP on top of the closet for later flying when I am ready for it

You persuaded me for Nano QX! Thanks to all of you When the Nano arrive I will let here know how it is
Thanks again, you helped me a lot ^.^
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:27 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,191 Posts
I recommend going to BuddyRC.com and grabbing their 160mah lipo. They are cheap at $2.50ea. And they perform great. I have the discharge curves on my HacksMods site comparing them to the Eflite 150mAh 25c that came with my NanoQX.

Each NanoQX comes with two lipo.

I'll link you to a NanoQX Devo 7e model when I am back at the computer.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:29 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,191 Posts
Coaxial heli for Devo 7E

Also, keep an eye in the classified for the mCX2 or mSR if you are still curious about them. Cuz I personally don't think they are worth full retail prices. But if you are like me and like to collect and try out all the various helis first hand, a good deal can sometimes be had if you subscribe to the for sale section of this forum. And I own both. I still have my mSR but traded the mCX2 though.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 07:20 AM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
I am ordering NanoQX right now Took me some time to get some money left for this
I bought some spare batteries too

Do you have a good and working model for Devo 7E? I have found some on devotiontx forums but some may works better, some worse Thanks
Old Jun 12, 2014, 08:10 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
Check the transmitter setup table. The only thing you really need to worry about is stability/agility mode. Agility mode is harder than your Super CP.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/BLH7600-Manual_EN.pdf
Old Jun 12, 2014, 08:40 AM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
I do not plan to use Agility mode for a long long time
Stability mode seems to be right for me (at least now )
Old Jun 12, 2014, 09:19 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,191 Posts
You can start with the one I shared here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post25313307
Old Aug 14, 2014, 05:37 AM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
Thanks guys for all your help. I love my nano QX and got a lot of fun with it. I can flight with it even inside easily Now I am mastering it more and more and soon I hope will be able to flight in agility mode too

Thanks again