HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2014, 07:46 AM
Fly low
Joined Jan 2012
174 Posts
I think I need to get a metal bracket fabricated as the muffler sits very close to the bracket.
silly is offline Find More Posts by silly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2014, 06:19 AM
lorhd2005
massachusetts
Joined Aug 2008
80 Posts
Hi guys,I will be starting my build soon, as I've read this whole thread, there are some concerns, I will be using electric power, I think that will alleviate some of the concerns, I will strenghten the nose gear, and what about the fuselage, I've read about it's flexing, is it critical that I strenghten it, is so ,what do you guys think would be the best way,all inputs would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to lose this plane, heard its a great flyer, so have to get over the issues,thanks!
lorhd2005 is online now Find More Posts by lorhd2005
Old Jul 04, 2014, 06:29 AM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
Evansville IN
Joined Aug 2004
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorhd2005 View Post
Hi guys,I will be starting my build soon, as I've read this whole thread, there are some concerns, I will be using electric power, I think that will alleviate some of the concerns, I will strenghten the nose gear, and what about the fuselage, I've read about it's flexing, is it critical that I strenghten it, is so ,what do you guys think would be the best way,all inputs would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to lose this plane, heard its a great flyer, so have to get over the issues,thanks!
I have no issues with the fuse. Mine seems pretty strong. If your going electric you should have no problems except the nose wheel. It will be fine with normal landings and even a somewhat hard landing provided you don't hit on the nose gear first.
olezippi is online now Find More Posts by olezippi
Old Jul 04, 2014, 07:03 AM
lorhd2005
massachusetts
Joined Aug 2008
80 Posts
Thanks olezippi
lorhd2005 is online now Find More Posts by lorhd2005
Old Jul 11, 2014, 02:03 PM
Go fast, pull up.
United States, NY, Clarence Center
Joined Nov 2008
1,612 Posts
Vibration is your enemy...that explains 95% of the problems! Gas engines like to vibrate at idle...a lot!...and some more than others. The plane is designed with fiberglass on fiberglass, which is perfect for electric and a "rookie mistake" for gas. Seriously, Hangar 9 engineers should know better! :-)

But back to your questions...going electic is an excellent way to go with this beautiful plane. It will keep the doors attached and probably prevent the wing failure, which could have been caused by weak glue joints vibration over time. The nose gear will be fine, but since you can't buy the nose gear mount separately, I recommend you take a piece of copper plate and bend it to contour the front center portion of the mount...and JB weld or screw it into place. This will allow some give, but provide much needed support for that "not so perfect" landing. :-)
Fidelity101 is online now Find More Posts by Fidelity101
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2014, 05:41 PM
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Oct 2010
166 Posts
I'm considering starting a build of this plane. I am weighing my options with the power setup on this thing. I usually like my planes better when they tend to fly faster/with more power. I'm know I'm going to use the power 160 motor on this plane for sure (already have one), but I have some room to play with the ESC and the prop...

So, can I go with a bigger prop - say 19x10, 19x11, 18x11 or a 18x12 prop on this plane for better performance without frying my motor on 10S? Ground clearance might be a problem with 19", so I guess 18" with higher pitch would be better (if the motor will take it).

Also, the specs for the Power 160 motor say it needs upto a 110 Amp ESC. The motor is rated for 60A continuous (max 78A), so shouldnt an 80A ESC always be enough? Why would you ever need a 110A ESC for this motor? Are they implying that the motor can be used to pull more than 80A?

Here is the link: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/EFLM4160A#t2
coolgg is online now Find More Posts by coolgg
Old Aug 17, 2014, 03:49 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,321 Posts
Actually I would not do that. I have a 3-bladed 17" prop (variable pitch) and with the same Motor and 10s I just cannot use the full power. This plane keeps level with my setup at 5-6 Amps . With 70Amps this plane is a racer.

Just my 2 Ct

Cheers Alexander
AlexanderB is offline Find More Posts by AlexanderB
Old Aug 17, 2014, 02:06 PM
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Oct 2010
166 Posts
Wow, thats crazy
Do you know what pitch you're running it on when you get max speed? The thing is that from the videos of this plane online, it doesnt seem to be that fast...Anybody know how many mph on full throttle on the recommeded manual setup for electric this can do?
coolgg is online now Find More Posts by coolgg