HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,513 Posts
Discussion
Hanger 9 warbirds elevator problems

I have read several posts, in the "fuel plane" forum that H9 warbirds horiz. stabs have been known to fly off?

I picked up a Spit 60 in very good condition. I have not flown the plane yet, and I am now concerned about this issue.

Anyone here have any info?
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:32 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,155 Posts
What engine are you using?
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Jun 2008
36 Posts
I've got a Spit, Corsair, Hellcat, Thunderbolt, and had a Warhawk. All H9s.

The Corsair and Hellcat have both clocked over 100mph on radar. Long shallow dive to the runway into the radar. One of 'em, I forget which, actually did 113mph.

I've had the covering off the stabs of the Spit and the Hellcat. The wood and glue on both looked as good as I hoped it would. The Hellcat wood looked very good. Hard and straight grained.

Never seen in the other two, but have felt their resistance by hand... after shrinking the covering while assembling them. Do that with every ARF. They both felt solid. The TBolt has shown me speed equal to the Hellcat. The P40 was sold some years back.

Speed is what kills 'em. Got OS91 two strokes on 'em all. I'd put money on mine they'll be around until I do something stupid, and not because the tails fluttered.

Keep the covering tight. That's important. And feel 'em to insure they're not weak. Then go for it. They're warbirds after all.
glidarflyar is offline Find More Posts by glidarflyar
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Jun 2008
36 Posts
BTW, I've seen a couple of them that blew up in the air. The guys who owned 'em weren't too concerned with wrinkles in their covering. I'm guessing that might have contributed, but got not a clue if it did.

I do know it's worthwhile to keep your skin tight and loose covering on poor wood is bad.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,513 Posts
The Spit has a Saito 100 FS, which is a common engine used on that plane.

Hopefully the stab issues are isolated incedences.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Jun 2008
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
The Spit has a Saito 100 FS, which is a common engine used on that plane.

Hopefully the stab issues are isolated incedences.
I'd say the stab issues are present for every ARF we get from China. The more popular the ARF, the more apt we are to know about any failures it has. Warbird guys have a lot of fly-ins so word gets around easier.

All we can do with any ARF is keep the covering tight, check to see if any part can be flexed by hand, and if we're worried still, then peel off some covering.

I had a Kyosho P40 that showed a crease in the stab after the 2nd flight. It was right where one would be if the structure was failing. Peeling off the underside covering showed a soft LE, insufficient structure near the fuselage, and lousy glue. The factory worker obviously didn't fly model airplanes who slapped that part together.

I put in some wood. Glued it good. Soaked the punk wood with CA. Recovered with Ultracote tightly. And just about wore the sucker out the next year or so, until I sold it.

We might not be building kits in this new modern ARF world, but we still have the need to learn some craftsmanship.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,495 Posts
A club member is flying the H9 Corsair with a saito 100 and has wrung it out pretty good. I have the F6F, P-40, and P-51, all with .91 4-strokes. Not barn burners but the P-40 was clocked at 90mph, and its 7 years old. I fly fairly scale.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:45 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
In our club we have them all, Spitfire, P47,P51, Corsair (I fly the Spit 60 with a 4 stroke OS 91)
The all get up to "MACH Plenty" and have not seen any problems.
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Last edited by Danny_l; Nov 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:27 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,272 Posts
I have heard the same over on the electric side too. I have the 50 size Corsair and had the P-40, also have the 40 sport P-51 and haven't had any problems or signs of problems with the el on any of them.
I think those who have may have just been a bit heavy handed when cutting away the covering to glue in the horizontal stab and actually cut into the wood.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:01 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
I have heard the same over on the electric side too. I have the 50 size Corsair and had the P-40, also have the 40 sport P-51 and haven't had any problems or signs of problems with the el on any of them.
I think those who have may have just been a bit heavy handed when cutting away the covering to glue in the horizontal stab and actually cut into the wood.
Yes, from what I read a slight score line on each side made while cutting the covering may have been the root of the problem. I lifted the covering and cut it in the air & then laid it back down to avoid scoring the wood.
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Jun 2008
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
That's certainly possible, but if they use epoxy and make sure to get some on the cuts, there won't be any weakening.

If you use slow enough epoxy and apply it so it'll soak into any cuts, those areas wind up stronger than before. Same thing with carpenters glue and any solid, penetrating glue. Even gap filling CA reinforces and will even penetrate deeper.

You've got to hack away wood for that sloppy cutting to weaken significantly if you're using good, penetrating glue and enough of it. Especially epoxy actually will strengthen.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:17 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Some guys at my field had this problem with the spitfire and the mustang. They all seem to be flutter induced. Here is a disturbing but educational video on the Hangar 9 Spitfire 60 H-Stab Failure. There is a slow motion shot also which shows what happened.
Hangar 9 Spitfire H-stab failure (0 min 46 sec)
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:55 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,046 Posts
It looked like the left side of the Horizontal stabilizer came off?
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:45 PM
ELECTRIC R/C
INNERKIP,ONTARIO,CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
352 Posts
H9 H Stab Fail

After looking at both the Spitfire and P-51, and finding poor centering of the hinge cutins for the CA type hinge, and glue problems that stress the joints and cause disruptive air flow, it is easy to understand why they FAIL.
I start by putting in nylon 3/4" hinges or 3/16" Robart hinge points. This allows me to redrill or recut the slot for the hinge. I use rotary tool setup as a mill to cut the slot, or Robart Centering Drill Tool. Horizontal and Vertical stabs can both be fixed the same way. The gap where the H-stab fits in the Spitfire was a bit big, so CA or thin layer of epoxy will not work well to fill the gap. I used Polyurethane glue and a spray of windex with ammonia to foam fill the gap.
The extra stress of a CA hinge will cause uneven movement, and is worse with all the propwash pushing on it.
Jsutherland8 is offline Find More Posts by Jsutherland8
Last edited by Jsutherland8; Nov 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: ADD PICS
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:12 AM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
I just bought myself a H9 P-47 Thunderbolt 60. Are there any build threads? I have been trying to find some but haven't.
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1