HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:54 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I have seen a couple of things that can help with heat.
1. Make sure that you run close to 100% throttle as possible. Unfortunately the Talon does not have data logging so I makes it harder to tune. I have found that if you are running governor and the internal throttle drops below 80% the ESC makes much more heat. If 100% gives way too much headspeed for scale then change the gears.
2. PWM can also make a difference. I donít fly Talon any more so I donít know what the options are but lower PWM values usually make the ESC run cooler.
3. Back when I was doing scale I used one or more 5v electric fans to keep the air moving. You may have to add a fan.

The Talon has switching BEC.
My throttle curve is at 85% for steady hover, and I'm not using governor mode. The ESC runs cold (i.e. ambient temperature) when the heli's in pod-and-boom mode, so I'm looking at fan(s) at the moment. I thought of computer fans, but they seem to be 12v -- at least the ones I've looked at so far are.

Thanks for your input.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2014, 03:19 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,505 Posts
I buy fans from an electronics warehouse store. I am in the US and buy from Digikey.com. The UK probably has something like that. Electronics warehouse stores usually have low prices and a good selection.

I have used 12v fans by using the balance plug and tapping off 3s. Fans don’t draw that much power so LiPo balance won’t be a problem.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:15 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I buy fans from an electronics warehouse store. I am in the US and buy from Digikey.com. The UK probably has something like that. Electronics warehouse stores usually have low prices and a good selection.

I have used 12v fans by using the balance plug and tapping off 3s. Fans donít draw that much power so LiPo balance wonít be a problem.
Yes, I was thinking of tapping off the balance lead, but I've found plenty of 5v fans now at my local electronics store

But, I wonder; if ESC/BEC heating is the issue, maybe I'd be better off tapping directly into my battery instead of imposing more load on the BEC
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 15, 2014, 10:27 AM
Joined Jun 2013
17 Posts
Hi
I have the Talon90 and when i plug it into my field link programmer all the lights just keep flashing and from what i have read it says that my ESC needs its firmware updating .
How do i do this as the castlelink on the pc has 2 red lights when i plug into the computer and will not reconize it

Martin
jaideld is offline Find More Posts by jaideld
Old May 15, 2014, 10:36 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaideld View Post
Hi
I have the Talon90 and when i plug it into my field link programmer all the lights just keep flashing and from what i have read it says that my ESC needs its firmware updating .
How do i do this as the castlelink on the pc has 2 red lights when i plug into the computer and will not reconize it

Martin

Did you remove the red wire to the receiver? If yes you need to first plug in the Castle link to the ESC and PC. They connect the power battery.

Power battery is not required if you have all three receiver wires connected.

If that's not it then you need to call Tech Support. They are very good at sorting out problems like that over the phone.

Old May 15, 2014, 11:04 AM
Joined Jun 2013
17 Posts
Hi
Yes the red wire has been removed and tried every way to get it to work. I have sent an email to support yesterday as its to expensive to ring the US from the UK but they have not responded.
Old May 15, 2014, 11:14 AM
Joined Jun 2013
17 Posts
What i am tring to do is change it from heli to plane as i need to change it form slow spool up on the throttle and i cant seem to find away manually with the Transmitter
Old May 15, 2014, 01:23 PM
Joined Jun 2013
17 Posts
Sorted for some reason its the Laptop. Set it up on the PC and it works fine . Funny when they are both running XP sp3
Old May 15, 2014, 02:00 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaideld View Post
Sorted for some reason its the Laptop. Set it up on the PC and it works fine . Funny when they are both running XP sp3
Glad you got it working.

Old May 29, 2014, 11:40 PM
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
420 Posts
Hello, how do I go about using the headspeed govenor on the Talon 90? Am I able to do this with the field program card or do I do it through a Windows PC using a USB cable? Is there software I need to download and do I need a specific USB cable or will my cable from my DJI Naza or Mobius cable work? Is it Windows 8 compatible?

Thank you for the help.
MIGPILOT44 is offline Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44