HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2014, 08:16 PM
1BADA$$
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2013
558 Posts
I'm reading that's some have been putting 5s packs...what size and brand you guys using? Hoping to swap out the ESC...I have a SUPPO 60amp ESC I can swap out to...what size 5s packs everyone using to fit? thanks
chamowllie is online now Find More Posts by chamowllie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:17 AM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Oct 2013
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamowllie View Post
I'm reading that's some have been putting 5s packs...what size and brand you guys using? Hoping to swap out the ESC...I have a SUPPO 60amp ESC I can swap out to...what size 5s packs everyone using to fit? thanks
I use 18-2200 Nano tech or China hobby line
Jezzejamez is online now Find More Posts by Jezzejamez
Old Jul 22, 2014, 09:05 AM
1BADA$$
Joined Mar 2013
558 Posts
[QUOTE=Jezzejamez;28971724]try pulling that battery all the way back, then fly. You might like that better..

I did...that's how I balanced at 45mm...I launch going straight up into the air...didn't quite work out...had to immediately push stick forward...then I held the nose down trim button and she still didn't want to trim down...so i Ade an immediate landing...sorta...ha!! Push the battery forward and helped a little bit...did that a couple times till the battery was all the way forward...and still doesn't fly right...at full throttle...I am still pushing down on the stick...half throttle I am holding back on the stick...anyways, waiting on some decent weather to try her out again.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 09:19 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,630 Posts
These need about 2mm of down elevator to fly level with a proper balance. I use a 120g home made 4S all the way back to the front of the aileron servo for balance. The first flight of mine was a wild ride. It would snap roll at the slightest hint of elevator and needed more down trim than I had. I had a warpped wing. Once I straightened the wing, and added some washout, and reduced my elevator throw ALOT it flew perfect. I can hold full elevator in and she just slows and gets mushy, doesn't drop a wing in a stall at all.

I have matched 2S and 3S packs coming to try 5S.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:11 AM
Joined Oct 2013
1,395 Posts
[QUOTE=chamowllie;28978409]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzejamez View Post
try pulling that battery all the way back, then fly. You might like that better..

I did...that's how I balanced at 45mm...I launch going straight up into the air...didn't quite work out...had to immediately push stick forward...then I held the nose down trim button and she still didn't want to trim down...so i Ade an immediate landing...sorta...ha!! Push the battery forward and helped a little bit...did that a couple times till the battery was all the way forward...and still doesn't fly right...at full throttle...I am still pushing down on the stick...half throttle I am holding back on the stick...anyways, waiting on some decent weather to try her out again.

Don't launch it like the funjet, (unless it works best for you) these planes don't cg well unless you have the special battery made for it. I found less throttle is better. Just Under half. With this weird set up, the elevator make small adjustments till you get the trims exactly. I toss it out @ 10 o'clock enough force like I want it to land 15 ft away.. (if that makes since).
I got some lead from my LHS in 7g chunks I sunk one tab inside the fuse all the way back. Flush with the foam...

My first few flights was crazy, tail swinging all over the place,torque roll all over the place . Flying full elevator down just to get it to not do loops. I've crashed mine a gang of times. But she goes back together well. Now once this one meets it's maker I will get another one, which will get the same set up. (unless the efx racer comes out first...)

My best advice is bring the battery all the way back. Don't use to much throttle on launch.... (unless vert is the only successful way you can do it)...

Happy flying!
Jezzejamez
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:06 PM
1BADA$$
Joined Mar 2013
558 Posts
Jezze,
Thats how i launch...vertical...just like the video and instructions say...lol!! Works perfect...half throttle and she climbs...the maiden launch was insane...she climbed enough to do a almost complete loop till i pushed the nose down...i think its my elevator and not the CG honestly...i just need some good weather to confirm. Thanks!

Anyways, guys that are running 5s packs on stock motor...what are the numbers, amps watts...stock motor with 7x6 stock prop? Thanks again!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 08:12 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,630 Posts
I'm going to a 6x5.5 prop, same amps more watts, 20mph more speed.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 08:51 PM
Joined Oct 2013
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Jezze,
Thats how i launch...vertical...just like the video and instructions say...lol!! Works perfect...half throttle and she climbs...the maiden launch was insane...she climbed enough to do a almost complete loop till i pushed the nose down...i think its my elevator and not the CG honestly...i just need some good weather to confirm. Thanks!

Anyways, guys that are running 5s packs on stock motor...what are the numbers, amps watts...stock motor with 7x6 stock prop? Thanks again!
Are you saying vertical launch ? Like this

My vertical launch. Mega fast!:
My vertical launch. Mega fast! (2 min 40 sec)

Or
Funjet ultra W /mega 16-40-2ce-f5d:
Funjet ultra W /mega 16-40-2ce-f5d (2 min 42 sec)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 09:26 PM
1BADA$$
Joined Mar 2013
558 Posts
HA!! mine gets the catapult launch...to heavy to throw...as you can see my buddy tried and didnt quite work out...TWICE!!! but she survived...lol!!

Modified Multiplex FunJet (1 min 3 sec)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:20 PM
Joined Oct 2013
1,395 Posts
Quote:
HA!! mine gets the catapult launch...to heavy to throw...as you can see my buddy tried and didnt quite work out...TWICE!!! but she survived...lol!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUQRMSRdY0A
Ya mine on 6s is heavy, I'm using mega so I can swing a large prop which will vertical launch no prob.. Sweet jet... Love the blue and white.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 03:15 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2013
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzejamez View Post
My first few flights was crazy, tail swinging all over the place,torque roll all over the place . Flying full elevator down just to get it to not do loops. I've crashed mine a gang of times. But she goes back together well. Now once this one meets it's maker I will get another one, which will get the same set up. (unless the efx racer comes out first...)

My best advice is bring the battery all the way back. Don't use to much throttle on launch.... (unless vert is the only successful way you can do it)...

Happy flying!
Jezzejamez
Mine finally got to the point of no return so I put a new one together. Unfortunately I didn't have the trim right and hit the ground three times before I worked out what I was doing wrong. Didn't do much damage though - mostly just three broken props. I've glued the wing on but it hadn't actually come off - just more solid that way. Even with the screws done up tight there was still a bit of wobble. Nice to have a clean air frame again.

Started launching it a new way. Like the HK guys do in the EFX videos. 2/3 throttle on 4S, 3/4 on 3S. As long as the CG is good and forward it doesn't seem to torque roll. Good to have it back in the air.
CelloGuy is online now Find More Posts by CelloGuy
Old Aug 02, 2014, 09:08 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,630 Posts
Well, I got it out with the 5S set up today. The stock ESC and a APC 7x6 were taken off and a 40A 6S capable ESC and a APC 6x5.5 installed. The stock ESC is good for 2-4S. No radar gun but I would say a 20mph or so increase. 27A 385W before and now it is up to 25A 487W.
Old Aug 03, 2014, 09:25 AM
Joined Oct 2013
1,395 Posts
20 mph faster. Sweeet good for you... I'm looking at some new 6s batteries.... I hope i can get into the high 140 mph on 6s
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:42 AM
Joined Apr 2013
4 Posts
Flew my Moray on Sunday on the 4 cell 1600 sold by motion . Tried to radar its speed but was impossible to get a reading from a safe distance. Next try borrowed a Pitot tube set up that is supposed to be accurate to less than 2percent . Did a couple of passes then landed . The pitot reads the highest speed attained . Hit 109.8 on its best run. Oh this is using an APC 7x6 E prop not the stock one. May try the 5 cell set up Evan fas used . He wont use the Pitot tube set up because it has to be taped to the wing . It peels the paint when you remove it. Still , I like this plane . Looking to see who else has modded one and what kind of speed they get .
Imacterry is offline Find More Posts by Imacterry
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:55 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,630 Posts
Where did you get accurate to "less than 2%" ? That's not what I said... I said accurate to 1mph though it can be accurate to 0.1 if you correct for density altitude.