Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:28 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
912 Posts
Discussion
Retract Wheel Well Finishing

I am trying to find material that I can use to finish the wheel wells for retracts in an open frame wing. The opening is 2 1/4". Any ideas such as some sort of bottle or other container that might be easily modified? In the past, I have used balsa strips, but that was a lot of work.

Thanks,

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:03 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,887 Posts
there is an easy way , get some cheap duck tape (cheap ) unwrap it until its fits into the well you need fitted . Allow a small gap between the role of tape and the wing sheeting that represents your wood to be used .
Now remove the ducktape role , get some good think quick set CA .
Get some balsa that you calculated for in the "thickness gap" discusssed earlier .
Glue the Balsa together aprox 1" longer then you would need if it formed a perfact circle for your well , soak the balsa in water , wipe it and wrap wround the duck tape to help shape it for a few miniutes , now take it and place it in the well and measure the overlap , draw a line cut and trial fit .
Now re-wet , place around the duck tape role and rubberband and leave it until dry .
Once removed you should have a 100% custom fit well that you can cut down flush to the wing sheeting , you ca in place and paint .

Option two (less custom , is to go to the local grocery store with your ruler and measure soda bottles to see how close you can get .
The problem with plastic bottles is that you dont get the meshed strength you do from a balsa CA circle
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:42 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
912 Posts
Excellent idea...Thanks for the tip!

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000