HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:28 AM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Discussion
Chicagoland FPV Flyers

Well, seems like there are a few (and growing) number of us around here. So I figure I'd start a common thread instead of clogging up the chicagoland parkie thread (sorry guys ). Since Chicago is so huge, this can include pretty much anyone in a 2 hr driving radius around the city.

I'd love to hear of where you fly, what you fly, and if we can all come to visit
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:37 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
So to start, I have a Skywalker for cruising, a Slow Stick for crazy stuff, and a tricopter that's being a pain right now. In the works is a funjet for some REALLY crazy stuff.

I have a few locations. I usually fly my SS from my house since its quiet and can easily t/o/land on my street. A nearby forest preserve, but I've been there less since I discovered how close a small airport is to it (oops), and my favorite is a sod farm that stretches for miles. I do fly in the city occasionally, either at a beach or former meigs field with the guys in the city.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 01:30 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Adam, you were asking for pictures of my camera placement, you can kinda see it here. I'll take a better picture of it when I get home. GPS is velcroed to the wing

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1569
Old Sep 12, 2010, 03:40 PM
Near Saint Louis MO. (IL Side)
Joined Aug 2009
534 Posts
Ash, I'm from Saint Louis (Illinois side). Do I sense a Midwest FPV meeting comming up soon? :-P
jsullivan05 is offline Find More Posts by jsullivan05
Old Sep 12, 2010, 04:40 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
quite possibly. I'm hoping to find out who's around here so we can plan something. Seems like there's more of us than I originally thought
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:41 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Hey Adam, how that plane coming. Do you think it'll be ready by thursday? I might be kinda busy this weekend, but if you cant do thursday, maybe saturday..
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:34 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,673 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up, I can't wait to get this thing out.

Thursday's out for me...it's really close hardware-wise, just need to test then glue the camera mount and then setup the rx antennas, oh and now buy and add-in a BEC, but then there's still the wiring and programming stuff that I don't want to rush. Probably the following week
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:51 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,673 Posts
I visited Venture hobbies in Wheeling over the weekend to buy some RC stuff and spoke to the guy behind the counter for a while and he and some others in that area are FPVing. He said there's some guy up there who's like some sort of FPV wizard...he gave me the guy's RCGroups name but I don't have it right now, so there are probably more FPVers in the area than we think
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:54 PM
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,673 Posts
BTW: my favorite RC shops in the Chicago area are:

- Al's Hobbies - Elmhurst...good size store with big selection of planes and accessories
- Venture Hobbies - Wheeling...good size store with big selection of planes and accessories
- Strictly RC - Chicago on Lawrence, near Harlem...small store but dedicated to RC with great customer service and experience
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:23 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Feb 2010
120 Posts
*subscribed*
ibips is offline Find More Posts by ibips
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:12 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
I visited Venture hobbies in Wheeling over the weekend to buy some RC stuff and spoke to the guy behind the counter for a while and he and some others in that area are FPVing. He said there's some guy up there who's like some sort of FPV wizard...he gave me the guy's RCGroups name but I don't have it right now, so there are probably more FPVers in the area than we think
Oh really? well see if they can get on here so we can coordinate something..lol
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:59 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Adam here's that picture of my setup you were asking for.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:02 PM
Kul
Aerodynamics Grad Student
Joined Dec 2007
358 Posts
I'm 3h away at Purdue. I do periodically fly into Campbell, Chicago Executive and hopefully Meigs field airports so maybe I'll bring my FPV plane next time I fly there. I bet the airport crew will be surprised to find a small plane come out of a slightly bigger one.
Kul is offline Find More Posts by Kul
Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:09 AM
Joined Aug 2008
208 Posts
Kul- pretty hard to land at an airport that doesn't exist any more- Meigs has been gone for 7 years now.
Moose2 is offline Find More Posts by Moose2
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:43 AM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
New Mayor might just bring Meigs back.
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc