Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:16 AM
50+CLGUY
Kingston ontario canda
Joined Jul 2005
59 Posts
Discussion
Muffled Red Head

Hey there all I've heard you shouldn't muffle a Red Head .35 as it will over heat, is this true? I have a light weight tongue muffler on mine but haven't run it yet. I'm using about 8% nitro 26% oil about 80% castor.
Thanks
Dwayne
Dwayne123 is offline Find More Posts by Dwayne123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:23 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne123 View Post
Hey there all I've heard you shouldn't muffle a Red Head .35 as it will over heat, is this true? I have a light weight tongue muffler on mine but haven't run it yet. I'm using about 8% nitro 26% oil about 80% castor.
I remember hearing the same thing when mufflers were first becoming mandatory. They are quite fragile in that regard - it was so very easy to ruin one with a single bad run, literally. I would look for a muffler with a good-sized outlet and a large chamber, that would have less back-pressure.

There were quite a few made that way in the early days of muffling, but I don't think much of anyone other than Randy (Aero) is making what you need, unless Big Art is still making his tube mufflers (they were really nice).

At one time, Scott Dinger was making the right kind of tube muffler, called the "Hyflo", but his web site is gone now.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Jun 16, 2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:32 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,839 Posts
Quote:
I'm using about 8% nitro 26% oil about 80% castor.
Yep, a high amount of castor is healthy, since it transfers heat in a superior way.....

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Jun 16, 2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:54 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Ive got an Enya .40 muffler .....

..... , & I intend on muffling something, Ive got quite a few class B engines that dont quite fit the muffler, or the muffler doesnt quit fit, but one of these days, Ill get to it, Dremel in hand .....

.....If overheating is the worry, at least I have my trusty digital thermometer, left over from my 1/8th scale nitro buggie racing days

Really, how hard can it be? just port the muff to fit over the exhaust stack, & fabricate a strap that tightens on around the other side of the cylinder.....

Theres a fringe benifit, pressure for the fuel tank

Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:47 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,586 Posts
I bet that critter runs sluggish, with no methanol in the mix...

Quote:
I'm using about 8% nitro 26% oil about 80% castor.
Thanks
Dwayne
challenger_i is online now Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Jun 20, 2010, 09:49 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
839 Posts
Whether just ANY "strap" is a good one delends on the rigidity of the case. One of the popular strap types is an automobile hose clamp, but the pre-muffler Fox stunt 19-25-29-35 engines have thin wall castings, and a narrow strap may distort the case, which in turn may distort the cylinder, which is a very bad thing.

I suspect that the Forsters and O&Rs share those thin wall castings with the stunt Foxes. I really didn't have experience back in the day for them, nor more recently with Dick McCoy's earliest products, so whether they would need a special "wide" strap isn't something I can even hazard a guess about.

When I was running Tatone mufflers on some Fox 35s, back in the 70s, I substituted the stock narrow straps for some Penn Reel rod clamp (fishing reel, if Penn isn't a familar brand name) straps that were nice and wide, with the same space between the bolts that the original equipment Tatone straps featured. I think my strap choice also helped keep the engine heat buildup that using mufflers can contribute to from being as potentially problematic.

As you've seen, some modellers get exhaust pressure without any muffler, similar to the way that Jim set his 35 up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
You know, I hesitated over that fuel formula for a second, myself, wondering how it was supposed to total more than 100%.

Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Jun 21, 2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: I answered more or less at the same time as Challenger did . .
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:55 AM
50+CLGUY
Kingston ontario canda
Joined Jul 2005
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
LOL Sorry I should have noted I start with Omega 10% and then use the program below to add the correct amount of castor. Scroll down to Custom fuel blending.
Dwayne

http://www.nitrorc.com/
Dwayne123 is offline Find More Posts by Dwayne123
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:10 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
I can't ever seem to muffle my redhead, but don't tell her I said that or she'll kick my _$$
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:42 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,586 Posts
EASY, THERE, Pard! Having been married to three "red heads, if she gets a whiff of what you been writing, we'll be seeing the Sun rise in a different direction than normal!

Get her a nice silk scarf.... Then, you can say you successfully "muffled" her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs View Post
I can't ever seem to muffle my redhead, but don't tell her I said that or she'll kick my _$$
challenger_i is online now Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:16 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,159 Posts
Be careful with strap on mufflers. You can distort an engine crankcase if you get them too tight. Been there, done that.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:44 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
839 Posts
Look a few comments further upward

I never owned any pre-Testors McCoys, not in the early 50s, nor after getting the eBay frenzy a few years ago. But I've seen one from a Fox 35 with an egg-shaped piston that George showed me once or twice (almost a visible shape to the naked eye).

The stock Tatone strap was fairly narrow, and I liked the light weight and compact size of the "Calumet" series, but I was in Houston when I bought those, and could go to a Salt Water Tackle shop for the Penn Reel clamps that are quite wide by comparison, and had a matching spacing for the distance between holes (.29-.40 size muffler).

Old Fox 35s are the only pre-muffler engines I experimented with strap ons with very much, although I had OS Max's own strap-on mufflers for my Max-H 40s, and those seemed to have nicely rigid cases, no matter the thinness of the OS straps.

I did own several RH 35s and 40s. The club I belonged to had McCoy Racing and McCoy Combat events occasionally, and one race was as much as you were likely to ever get from any one McCoy P&C set, I don't know if any of the pre-Testors motors used the same formula sintered iron pistons that were so fragile about getting slightly hot.

I know he sold plenty of ringed piston engines before the Testors years, and those probably had better heating/ running characteristics. What I also don't know is if his Duromatics had similarly thin-walled castings like the Fox stunt motors.

Kiwi
Last edited by The Kiwi; Jun 22, 2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 02:10 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Since youve been there, .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
Be careful with strap on mufflers. You can distort an engine crankcase if you get them too tight. Been there, done that.

..... & done that, I was thinking of milling out the Enya muffler addapter, the part that meets the engines exhaust stack so it fits slightly over the stack, & putting a piece of asbestos gasket matterial on the inside of the strap, that way it wouldnt have to be too tight to stay in place .....

..... , what do you think?

Thank you, Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie