HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:54 PM
United States, CA, Aptos
Joined Sep 2012
113 Posts
Thanks for the help uploading the pics of my planes. Here's all three. 100%, 75% and 115% versions
Poporbit is offline Find More Posts by Poporbit
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined May 2011
2,263 Posts
c.g. should be here. I am at the forward limit and it flies great.
AlfaXray1 is offline Find More Posts by AlfaXray1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Warbirds
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:16 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,548 Posts
Which Skyray is that?

I've been working ion a 22" span 21" long version for the club.

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined May 2011
2,263 Posts
It is a slightly modified "parkJets" Skyray

http://www.parkjets.com/cn-skyray/
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, MI, Sodus Township
Joined Aug 2004
28 Posts
Well my $Tree foam board model has been going together slowly. I am still waiting for my order for the elevon servos. I am continuing to build as much as I can while leaving the rear fuse and nacelles open for these servos.

I had to engineer a different motor mount, because the motor I ordered has a bayonet style mount instead of a flat firewall mount. I ended up cutting a mount stick from some scrap I had laying around, and glued it to the fuselage and protruding through the ply firewall that was glued in the normal spot. This seems to be a very strong mount. Hopefully I won't make foam-fetti after the first few flights.

I realized this evening as I was working on the top end, that I didn't take into consideration the thickness (thinness?) of the foam board relative to the height of the swing servo. The ply control horn interferes with the top fuse deck. I either need to relieve part of the top deck so the servo arm can move, or I need to try to extract the servo and mount it lower. I will probably attempt the latter, but I am done working for tonight.

I keep forgetting to take pictures as I build. I will post some soon.
southwesterntech is offline Find More Posts by southwesterntech
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:16 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesterntech View Post
Well my $Tree foam board model has been going together slowly. I am still waiting for my order for the elevon servos. I am continuing to build as much as I can while leaving the rear fuse and nacelles open for these servos.

I had to engineer a different motor mount, because the motor I ordered has a bayonet style mount instead of a flat firewall mount. I ended up cutting a mount stick from some scrap I had laying around, and glued it to the fuselage and protruding through the ply firewall that was glued in the normal spot. This seems to be a very strong mount. Hopefully I won't make foam-fetti after the first few flights.

I realized this evening as I was working on the top end, that I didn't take into consideration the thickness (thinness?) of the foam board relative to the height of the swing servo. The ply control horn interferes with the top fuse deck. I either need to relieve part of the top deck so the servo arm can move, or I need to try to extract the servo and mount it lower. I will probably attempt the latter, but I am done working for tonight.

My F-14 has a cutout on the top deck so I can access the servo. I cover it with tape, but you could just as easily make a small hatch out of a thinner sheet of foam and tape.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:17 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesterntech View Post
The ply control horn interferes with the top fuse deck. I either need to relieve part of the top deck so the servo arm can move, or I need to try to extract the servo and mount it lower. I will probably attempt the latter, but I am done working for tonight.

Yup... I had same problem. I added an extra ply underneath inside the fuse between the flat servo mounts and the wing deck
tripn4days is offline Find More Posts by tripn4days
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:18 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
My F-14 has a cutout on the top deck so I can access the servo. I cover it with tape, but you could just as easily make a small hatch out of a thinner sheet of foam and tape.
Hmmmm good idea. I contemplated something similar but ended up not doing it. Wish I had though just in case wires on wings need adjustment or come disconnected.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, CA, Aptos
Joined Sep 2012
113 Posts
On my first model I had to cut a circular opening over the wing servo to access the swing arm.

I'm currently modifying that model. I prefer access to the electronics and battery from the top so I've sealed the bottom and building a top hatch that goes from 2 inches aft of the nose to just in front of the wing servo. I've built up the canopy as well. This has the additional advantage that when flying straight at you it's easier to see. On a cloudy day I've had problems with the plane disappearing momentarily because there is so little cross section when it turns. (us old guys). I'll post pictures tomorrow. Today I have a tooth extraction so wont be able to post today.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:37 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
108 Posts
Alright! Finally got to try again after a miserale madien trip...

Moved the battery forward about 3.5" to make the plane a titch nose heavy and what do you know? She flies GREAT!

Had a blast playing with the thrust vectoring concept. I Cant believe how agile this thing can be. Flips and spins on a dime... Not that I'm telling you guys anything you dont know already. Wish I'd have just tried it this way when I first completed the build; something I very seriously contemplated b/c I didnt want to mess around with reworking the layout of the internals. The irony of all this being my now current setup is exactly how I laid it out originally. To match build plan CG though, I undid it, modified the wing servo holder and ended up soldering in 3" servo extensions... Sheesh!

Shout Out to PopOrbit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poporbit View Post
I found on 2 of my F14's I had to set the CG at the leading edge of the wings to get them to fly correctly. Both were over weight by 4-6 oz. Your experience seems to track mine. The last model was on target and I was able to move the CG back to the spar brace as indicated in the manual.
Thank you for the suggestion! That was EXACTLY the issue

Another Special Thank You goes out to AlphaXray1 for this lil' piece of advice:

"A nose heavy plane will fly sluggishly; a tail heavy plane will fly once."

I'll take that one to my grave

Long story short: I most certainly appreciate EVERYONE'S very helpful feedback and the genuine concern you all shared in helping me to get to the bottom of this issue. Now, like many of you, I can easily see this model becoming my favorite plane to fly...

So thank you ALL, once again, for making this such a communal site, and helping this relative noob iron out some problems

HAPPY FLYING!
Last edited by tripn4days; Dec 06, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:54 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poporbit View Post
I've sealed the bottom and building a top hatch that goes from 2 inches aft of the nose to just in front of the wing servo. I've built up the canopy as well. This has the additional advantage that when flying straight at you it's easier to see.I'll post pictures tomorrow.
I'd love to take a look at that. I was envisioning something similar, going over the wing servo, but couldnt come up with a removeable, yet secure, fastening system I felt could trust.

GL with tooth extraction thing too!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:49 PM
United States, CA, Aptos
Joined Sep 2012
113 Posts
Here's some shots of the mod to access the electronics and battery from the top.

I completed an F15 last week that built up the canopy from 14 copies of the canopy profile. I used that same technique for the F14. This adds 11 grams weight so there is a penalty building this way but it sure looks nice.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:03 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,812 Posts
Glad you got that sorted out tripn. Odd that the CG ended up being wrong, but glad you got it sorted out!
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:32 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
108 Posts
PopOrbit: How do you secure the canopy?
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined May 2011
2,263 Posts
Poporbit, I like your canopy look. I need to go back a build a full canopy on my Tomcat like my Skyray has. They look so much nicer.
RCG Plus Member