HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:26 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicky View Post

I put everything on paper and it turns out that Blades (Parkzone's?) planes are cheaper than if you try to make same/similar thing yourself! When you count in tiny receiver, servos and ESC - it ends more expensive than all in one you get from them. One of the main reasons I didn't already go with a wing P4ddy mentioned.
Before i got my Sabre my wife was going to buy me the Parkzone Stryker as i wanted to fly planes, however i didn't & i'm now a heliaddict

Here's a night set up Swift, will look fricking awsome in the air

Swift 2 avec Turnigy High Density R/C LED Flexible Strip (1 min 30 sec)
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:19 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Just counting up the cost to get one airbourne & it's too much for me right now as i need to prioritize & spend the money on parts for my GSX-R
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:03 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ddy View Post
.... i need to prioritize & spend the money on parts for my GSX-R
MC before RC? Looks like someone needs a 'talk' about setting priorities....
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:28 PM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com View Post
MC before RC? Looks like someone needs a 'talk' about setting priorities....
LOL hey it's a dam hard decision but if i don't start getting the parts for my bike i'll never get it finished. I need tyres (about 240 pair), chain & sprockets, brake pads, fairing fixings (they're dam expensive for what they are) & a battery. BUT then i do really want a night flying wing AAARRRHHH. The wing is cheap but it's everything to get it flying. I need to have another look with a Hobbyking special electronics set up as that should make a huge saving.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:22 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,160 Posts
Putting on some Metzelers or Avon? I always ran Metzelers on my road race bikes.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:42 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
not flying much these days, work and the early sunsets are beginning to bite. Tonight I got a pak in t he mCPx and one in my 450SE....for not flying much I did pretty well ....it actually felt GREAT!!!!!! I have 3 500 paks to run down to storage for winter....that is tomorrows job

hope all are getting some air
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:55 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,160 Posts
Well I found out the hard way which one of my 500 packs was going bad. Started to land and it gave in. All was good and I'm glad I now know the bad one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:45 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Converted my 4 year old Blade 400 to FBL a week ago and purchased a Blade 450 converted to FBL 5 days ago. Rain stoped so I flew each of them 3 flights this morning after the fog burned off. Nice to have something larger than a 130 X flying .

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:39 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Putting on some Metzelers or Avon? I always ran Metzelers on my road race bikes.
No but they need to be dual compound. I ran Avons on my NS400R & Metzelers on my 350LC.

I'm going to fly my Sabre around the garden me thinks (bit windy though)
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:42 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Four more flights on my Blade 400 converted to FBL this morning.

Charles
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:01 PM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ddy View Post
... my NS400R & ... my 350LC.
It is a little frustrating sometimes to consider the cool models of M/C that are sold in the rest of the world but never make it to the U.S. I have been sort of coaching a young neighbor about bikes (after failing to dissuade him from riding at all) and spent a good bit of time telling him that he doesn't need or want a 600 cc crotch rocket for his first bike.

FWIW I did enjoy my limey bikes, a '79 T 140 special and the '74 Norton Commando Mk II:
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:26 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
That's awesome Charles. What FBL unit are you using?

Also, if you don't mind me asking (since you're the battery/charger guru), what type of plug is on the end of the 720i Super Duo balance board leads? Specifically, the plug that goes into the charger.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Four more flights on my Blade 400 converted to FBL this morning.

Charles
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:31 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,160 Posts
I use to race with a guy who raced a vintage Norton cafe racer. Really sweet in red, white, and green.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:58 AM
UK
Joined May 2007
3,204 Posts
Forgot to day - I been flying yesterday! Sneaked out lunch time and went to our field to trash 130X a bit! I had two batteries through nCP-X (nano) and it was hit and miss. Actually something happened first time to me - I've lost sight of this little helicopter (green canopy, at 30+ meters away over trees - not the best visibility combination). I've lost sight of it for 2 seconds adding collective (negative at that point) hoping that it would go over tip of distant trees and to be able to spot it over the skys. And, after 2 -3 seconds not knowing where the heli is (or crashes) it popped up so I was able to get it back. Still not sure how I managed to see at such distance! BTW - it as quite windy and that's why it run that far...

On the other hand - 130X turns out to be perfect compliment to sim. I managed first half of CCW pirouette, front piro flip with real helicopter (with it - if it can be called a 'real' helicopter). Also, translated knowledge of front and back piro flips at nose and tail-in in both upright and inverted. This thing is getting to be real fun now! I can (piro) flip it all the time now - choosing to complete flips, deliberately 'slip' 1/2 of pirouette and then do it, reverse directions (back flip/front flip) etc. All all-over-the-sky and lower (still can't bring myself to do second half of piro flip lower than shoulders height). Even to throw in occasional half piro flip to start it.

My favourite, for now, is inverted to upright tail-in back piro flip Hardest I tried (and planted 130X to ground - only really bad crash yesterday - when I heard thump over 30 meters away, even though it went to down to grass) is CCW, front inverted to upright from nose in... (didn't try any others in from inverted at CCW pirouette).

Last month of 'simming' paid off big time!

When I got home I had last two nano batteries in my garden still trying such piros (CW only). That was one of the heli sessions you get home and can't remove smile from your face making your wife suspicious!
clicky is offline Find More Posts by clicky
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:26 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnGuy View Post
That's awesome Charles. What FBL unit are you using?

Also, if you don't mind me asking (since you're the battery/charger guru), what type of plug is on the end of the 720i Super Duo balance board leads? Specifically, the plug that goes into the charger.

Dave

Blade 400 I purchased a Tarot ZYX-S and a Tarot head running Thunder Power 325 CF Blades , Scorpion 2221-8 ,HS 65 MG cyclic and HS5084MG tail. Still geeting comfortable with larger for me helis so only 2,800 HS . This is the same3 B 400 I have had for around 4 years that had been a hanger queen for the past 3 years.

I also purchased a B400 which had been converted to a 450 and FBL recently. The 450 has a Copter X FBL which is really the same as the Tarot ZYX . The 450 has a 400 motor in it but came with the 450 one also. It has E flite cyclics and an Align DS420 on the tail.

My son has a 450 which he converted to FBL using a ZYX about a month ago and he really likes it and anyone talks about how much nicer the 450 tail is over the 400.

I guess I really should upgrade the 450's cyclics , DS 75's with DS76 gears installed. Some say the OEM servos in the 450 are fine and some say them are no better than the ones that use to come in the 400.

All Hyp. chargers use the same balancing connectors other than the number of contacts. Same pitch as ones on thier Lipolys.

OT :

Had a Norton Commando Mk II 850 ,candy apple red same model as they used for their ads withthe nice looking youn lady in the one piece red jump suit.

Did a head job on it,installed Dunstall pipes and rode it almostly daily to and from work (80 a day) plus week end trips for a few years.

I grew up riding, Triumphs ,Nortons, Indians,BSAs .
Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Oct 05, 2012 at 11:56 AM.