HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2014, 02:47 PM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
204 Posts
Discussion
International A-Class yachts

A new thread for those who are interested in the larger, more elegant racing machines. The International A-Class has been in existence since the early 1900's and they are part of the very foundation and traditions of Model Yachting. From brane sailing to vane sailing to radio sailing, these yachts are prestigious in every way.
For those who are not familiar to the class, please find attached the rules. Additionally, I invite all those to share there knowledge, ideas and thoughts of the International A-Class yacht.

JT

Rules: a-class-rules

Picture: Name: 2014-04-19-pracc-3.jpg
Views: 76
Size: 484.8 KB
Description:
john m taylor is offline Find More Posts by john m taylor
Last edited by john m taylor; May 07, 2014 at 02:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2014, 03:03 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Hello John are you able to explain the idea behind the rating classes? there will be people who look at that formula and will read no further.
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
Old May 07, 2014, 03:27 PM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
204 Posts
The basics of the rules is balancing overall displacement and sail area with waterline length. The longer the waterline the less sail area allowed. Some people will read rules to try and find loop holes in them to gain the advantage.

JT
Old May 07, 2014, 03:46 PM
Joined May 2008
43 Posts
that picture looks familiar heres a few more from the same day at fleetwood. The A Class are great, you don't really get an idea of the size of the things until you see them up close. proper yachts
tim_uk is offline Find More Posts by tim_uk
Old May 07, 2014, 05:49 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
489 Posts
Here a few pics of some A Class boats in Tasmania, Australia.
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old May 08, 2014, 02:57 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john m taylor View Post
The basics of the rules is balancing overall displacement and sail area with waterline length. The longer the waterline the less sail area allowed. Some people will read rules to try and find loop holes in them to gain the advantage.

JT
Thanks John, that is where the long and elegant overhangs come from. Overhangs are where the bow and stern are out of the water giving a boat that is quite a bit longer on deck than its waterline.

Which clubs in the UK sail A class?
Old May 08, 2014, 03:04 AM
GBR 92
United Kingdom, Windsor and Maidenhead
Joined Mar 2012
154 Posts
A Class Sailing Clubs UK

Robert

1. Gosport
2. Hampton Court
3. Eastbourne
4. Fleetwood
5. Poole

Have a look at the A Class website as the race series around the Country is called PRACC and a number of clubs host in addition to those clubs above

http://radioaclass.wordpress.com
Sailterry is offline Find More Posts by Sailterry
Old May 08, 2014, 03:09 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
826 Posts
Hi Robert,
In the UK we have a series of events around the country called PRACC with there own web site http://radioaclass.wordpress.com/ there are very few clubs now that just sail only A boats Fleetwood, Hampton court, Poole and Gosport I think, members of other clubs own one so useally go to these venues to race or enter the PRACC series and race.

Heh! Terry you just beat me to it
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Last edited by ToniGe23; May 08, 2014 at 03:15 AM.
Old May 08, 2014, 03:32 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
I used to drive an Audi A6 Estate just to transport some of the Aeroplanes around the country. What size and weights are these beautiful yachts these days?

I have built a garden room with a valuted ceiling in the style of a traditional model yacht shed so I can cater for a boat standing 12 ft tall but I doubt the hull or mast would fit in my much smaller car.
Old May 08, 2014, 08:08 AM
Fleetwood, UK
Joined Dec 2010
204 Posts
On average an A-Class yacht is 2metres in length and stands 3 metres high out of the water. The overall displacement can be anything from 25 pounds (11kgs) to 50 pounds (22kgs).

Before anyone asks, you can pay for an A-class yacht anything between 500 - 6000+ these days.

My Dave Hollom design A-Class yacht (Hardtack), of which there is only 2 in existence, still represents the most money I have ever spent in this sport. The total cost was 3000 back in 2009. I hope to travel to Perth, Australia with my boat to compete in the National Championships, 10 years on from the last time I competed in Kogarah Bay, Sydney.
Last edited by john m taylor; May 08, 2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old May 08, 2014, 08:28 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Thanks John
Old May 08, 2014, 08:39 AM
Joined Nov 2012
133 Posts
Love the boats! We looked at the A class quite a bit while developing our 2 M AC OD.
Are there many in the US? We're always looking for other larger size boats to sail with.

John Fries is offline Find More Posts by John Fries
Old May 08, 2014, 08:54 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
647 Posts
Sadly, A Class activity in the USA is all but nil. The only activity is in Port Washington, NY; the Mill Pond MYC sails vintage A's. Design activity in the US doesn't exist. It is good to see support of the class in the UK and other areas around the world.

FWIW, I was the last acting A Class secretary in AMYA. The class was de-certified as the AMYA requirement of a minimum of 20 boat owners was not met.

I own a vintage boat #442 which I believe was built sometime in the late 1940's to mid 1950's in the NYC area. Currently it is under restoration to original configuration except with radio control instead of a vane. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783832
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Last edited by Mike Denest; May 08, 2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old May 08, 2014, 09:26 AM
Joined Nov 2012
133 Posts
That's a shame, seems people aren't as into the larger classes :-(. The A's above look super cool!
Maybe we'll bring one of our boats down to Port Washington, it's about 2.5 from where I live in CT.
John Fries is offline Find More Posts by John Fries
Old May 08, 2014, 10:23 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fries View Post
That's a shame, seems people aren't as into the larger classes.
40+lbs. displacement + aged sailors = extinction. Then there was the measurement rule that no one wanted to mess with. That's why we have Soling one meter's so prevalent. A one design, easy to set up and transport and no fuss involved. Nothing against the boat, it's a matter of choice.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest