HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2013, 06:25 AM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,811 Posts
Discussion
Getting back into indoor flying (possibly) (again)

In September we are moving from the UK to the Faroe Islands. We will be living in a small village with only 600 inhabitants. However that village has a big gym that was built recently. I should be able to use it for indoor flying once in a while. Being out in the North Atlantic, the Faroe Islands are very windswept so I doubt it will ever be possible to fly a light micro model outdoors. It's a great place for slope soaring though.

I've hardly done any building/flying the last 4 years but i quite look forward to flying again. I only have a single airworthy aircraft - a mini MacZip with AP03 brushless - but since I have a laser cutter and loads of balsa and Depron I hope to add to the fleet. I notice that there hasn't been a lot of innovation in the last year or two. RTF models have become the staple of indoor and the equipment has not changed much since I stopped flying.

Michael

Here's our new home:
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2013, 03:19 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,948 Posts
I would have thought small brushless gear boxes would be widespread by now, especially with Shapeways and the like.
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Aug 09, 2013, 02:00 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,030 Posts
Looks interesting. Any sailing? Model or full sized.

Hmm... Any Internet?

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Aug 09, 2013, 06:18 AM
Stuck on a rock
Joined Nov 2000
5,811 Posts
I suffer from seasickness so no sailing hobby for me and I find model boats quite boring. Mind you, if I get a job I might have to commute by ferry every day.

I should be able to get at least 5mbit broadband.
Old Aug 09, 2013, 06:45 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epilot View Post
I suffer from seasickness so no sailing hobby for me and I find model boats quite boring. Mind you, if I get a job I might have to commute by ferry every day.

I should be able to get at least 5mbit broadband.
I can understand seasick, but model sailboats are like half a plane underwater with the keel an analog of a wing and the rudder acting like an elevator. Above water the sails are also like wings, needing to be trimmed for maximum drive.

I had two racing boats at he same time that I learned full scale glider flying. I had dreams about being in the grip of the elements!

Oh well, that's me. No interest in motor boats but I do like motor driven airplanes.

Anyway, best of luck in your new home. I hope you start a model club there.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:15 PM
RC Connectors dot com
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2008
1,174 Posts
So Michael, why did you decide to move to the Faroe Islands?
glenn2626 is offline Find More Posts by glenn2626
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Xtreme Video TX cable
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:44 PM
Stuck on a rock
Joined Nov 2000
5,811 Posts
My wife is from here and she's wanted to move back for a very long time. I figured since I've been dragging here to Germany and then the UK it was her turn to decide where to live. She can use her education to find work here which she couldn't in the UK. My career was dead and buried anyway and we were struggling to make ends meet in the UK. Same here - not much money - but with the difference that education is free so we won't have to worry about university tuition for our daughter. My wife and daughter love living here. I'm less enthusiastic about it but hope I can grow to like it. I can't find work here so am self-employed. My business has shrunk quite a bit compared to when we were in the UK as postage cost are very, very high from the Faroe Islands. I have to import all materials which is also costly.
Last edited by epilot; Dec 18, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:54 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epilot View Post
My wife is from here and she's wanted to move back for a very long time. I figured since I've been dragging here to Germany and then the UK it was her turn to decide where to live. ...............I can't find work here so am self-employed. My business has shrunk quite a bit compared to when we were in the UK as postage cost are very, very high from the Faroe Islands. .
Ever thought of Depron farming?

Maybe you can replicate Durobatics?

Is it too cold for raising Balsa wood trees?

................just trying to help..............
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Dec 19, 2013, 04:17 AM
Stuck on a rock
Joined Nov 2000
5,811 Posts
Too windy! The islands are tree-less for a reason.

Strictly speaking I could make thin foam but postage costs kills the idea.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 07:13 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,041 Posts
Costly postage and no outdoor flying aside, that looks like a beautiful place to live.
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Dec 19, 2013, 07:43 PM
Stuck on a rock
Joined Nov 2000
5,811 Posts
I find it rather bleak due to the lack of trees. In the summer it's possible to fly outdoors as we do have a few hours here and there with little or no wind.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 09:27 PM
RC Connectors dot com
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2008
1,174 Posts
Sadly the shipping thing is probably the deal-breaker for anything you would want to produce.

If your designs are good, you could maybe contract out their cutting and kitting to someone here in the states. But of course your nice new laser will sit idle, and your profits will be small due to someone else doing all the work.

Sorry I've got no good ideas. My business depends a lot on cheap shipping, I get a lot of small orders and my standard $2 shipping & handling makes it reasonable.

Glenn
RC-Connectors.com
glenn2626 is offline Find More Posts by glenn2626
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Xtreme Video TX cable
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:30 AM
Stuck on a rock
Joined Nov 2000
5,811 Posts
Read my blog post about cost of importing supplies: http://blog.bustedbricks.com/#post16

Despite the very high postage, marble machine kit sales have been reasonably good leading up to Christmas. I guess I will find out in the coming months if I can stay in business. However they alternative is sitting at home and twiddling my thumbs all day so as long as I'm not losing money I might as well keep at it. I'm trying to develop some higher value items so the cost of postage becomes less relevant. However it is risky investing in supplies.

I have a lot of balsa and Esaki tissue in stock. If I had remained in the UK I would have started up kit production in 2014. However since postage could easily be 10 on a 20 kit I think I can scrap that idea. There is no local market for any of the things I make.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 09:33 PM
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Joined Dec 2007
374 Posts
Hi Michael-

I've been reading all your posts on relocating with interest- the Faroe Islands are a interesting place and new to me. I've looked at a couple hundred online tourism photos and several vids now to get some idea of what it's like there. Looks like a great quiet location, except for all the cold weather.

I sure hope you get the materials/lipo delivery problems worked out soon there on the island. I'm sad to hear about that, and wish I had a good suggestion for it.

Your mention of needing a generator for power outages got me to thinking too. I didn't see a wind turbine or wind power generating system anywhere- yet the place really seems ideal for one. (big or small) I'm curious to know why not. I only noticed a couple of satellite dishes on rooftops too, and I'm wondering why so few of them as well.

Here where we are the power goes out frequently despite being very close to two major cities (Oak Ridge and Knoxville). It all has to do with county lines and power grid layouts- our electricity comes from a small town (called Lenoir City- which is really a quite tiny town and not a city at all)... and their problem is outdated overloaded lines that won't get fixed anytime soon. We are on the far edge of their grid and the power fails just about weekly. My irritation with this has led me to invest in a couple of generators (one big one directly wired to the house, plus another one for backup as well) so I can keep right on working when it happens. I've got eight different sized 12v inverters too, also very handy and portable as well. It's great to be able to make power when needed and not have to wait several hours until the power gets restored. It was somewhat expensive to set up about 12 years ago but I have had no regrets. It's been well worth it as it gets used so often. The neighbors are all envious of my setup.

And by the way, I've been using your old cnc coil winder a good bit this year. Some to make coils, and also as a prototype to design my own machine which is near finished. Having yours to experiment with has been just wonderful, and I would have been lost without it. I'll try to make a post about it soon.
shagrug is offline Find More Posts by shagrug
Old Dec 21, 2013, 09:51 PM
Stuck on a rock
Joined Nov 2000
5,811 Posts
It's not all the cold up here. Average temp for January is 3.4C. It was much colder in the UK last winter. I measured -14C in the uninsulated storage container I was working in. Brrrrr...

It has been extremely windy during December. 1-2 storms per week and even a couple of Hurricanes. Worst weather since the epic hurricane in 1988 that caused widespread destruction. We've had a couple of power outages because of the storms but they both lasted less than 30 minutes. Hardly worth buying a genset for and my comment was made in jest.

Building wind turbines here is not easy as they need to be able to withstand very strong winds. We had 157mph gusts recently. Most people have sat dishes but they are attached to the side of the houses, usually quite close to the ground.

I'm hoping I can grow to like this place but at the moment I'm struggling a bit. It's hard to come to terms with just how expensive things are here. Groceries are often twice what we paid in the UK. This is manily due to the fact that most things are imported from Denmark which already has some of the highest prices in ther world. Some things are just silly expensive. I wanted to buy some argon gas for my TIG welder. It is 6 times more than in the UK. Therefore I can't afford it which means another project stranded.

Broadband, although pricy, is quite good here. I can get up to 13Mbps download speed.

Not much of a model flying scene from what I can tell but I'm hoping to be able to generate some interest in indoor flying (if we can find a way to get lipos sent here). I have a laser cutter and loads of depron and balsa so supplying kits is not a problem.

The orange circle is where my workshop is located and the purple circle is where we will be moving to in a weeks time. App. 550 people live in the village, around 1200 on the whole island.
Last edited by epilot; Dec 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM.