Closed Thread
Old May 03, 2013, 01:23 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake View Post
While everyone in here is not governed by the ama, current ama regulations say there must be an observer operating the primary tx, and the fpv person gets the buddy box. Doing fpv any other way is breaking current fcc rules regarding rc.
There are similar regulations in the UK, does not seem to restrict the enthusiasts of FPV much.

Your side of the pond, flying in and around airliners using 'drone' technology gets no more than a mild admonishment from a few.

Unfortunately I see the somewhat more benign hobby of AP getting caught up in the rush for better regulation, high profile abuses of 'drone' technology can only speed up this process.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2013, 06:22 AM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,700 Posts
Well, CBS is at it again. They ruined 3 wheelers for me in the 80's, now they are attacking AP. While I find the article mostly accurate (what a surprise) the premise behind what they are doing is completely wrong. I could take any object and make a story to say, "this is what happens when you use this object wrong" and it would be critized as being asinine. Example, if I took a car and drove it into a school bus and say, "this is what could happen" would be so stupid. What they should do is say, this is what happens when you report stories wrong.

I am so driven at this point to do something about the media in this country, it is so out of hand. Thanks to the illiterate, gullable, MTV watching, morons in this country who get swayed by this stupidity, they are ruining our freedom.

The average person watching or reading these stories would take away nothing but bad vibes about our wonderful hobby. A hobby that is educational, intellectual, and has nothing to do with the common "drone" you see and read about on TV, or media.

The people who are using FPV in an unacceptable manor are easily to deal with because they are always posting their videos on youtube. Attack those people, not me.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/...-flying-spies/
antslake is offline Find More Posts by antslake
Old May 03, 2013, 06:04 PM
Joined Nov 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
WOW, you must be liberal? That article has NOTHING to do with us flying R/C planes with cameras on them. Or does even come close to saying Republican(s) love drones the most. Please.....

I am fed up with the liberal biased media (and the conservative ones too) in this country. Freedom of speech was created to give all of us an equal voice, and that's not what it is happening. The people with the most money have the loudest voice. To me that is the very thing that this country was trying to escape from when being founded.

To the average person in America (your local scientifically illiterate idiot) when he/she hears the word "drone" on TV freaks out thinking that an average guy like you or me has that technology available to them over the counter.

Your military style drone is far different than the ones we use for pleasure, and I don't like it being lumped into the same category because it just all adds up to bad press. The media can't even get a single story correct, wth do they know.

I think our models should not be called drones anymore. The liberals change words all the time to shift the image that the word produces when said. Let's do it too. It's Aerial Photography, which is a hobby.
I guess you are a conservative?

Conservatism (Latin: conservare, "to retain") is a political and social philosophy that promotes retaining traditional social institutions. A person who follows the philosophies of conservatism is referred to as a traditionalist or conservative.

conservative is an antonym to PROGRESS
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Old May 03, 2013, 09:40 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfisherman View Post
I guess you are a conservative?

Conservatism (Latin: conservare, "to retain") is a political and social philosophy that promotes retaining traditional social institutions. A person who follows the philosophies of conservatism is referred to as a traditionalist or conservative.

conservative is an antonym to PROGRESS
Well I disagree with that one. It is absolutely not an antonym to PROGRESS, and I am independent. I believe in truth, what works (new or old, proven progress), and logic. Keep in mind your definition of progress, and someone else's may be completely different. There are also multiply definition of conservatism, it depends which biased dictionary you are reading.

cautious, moderate, tending to preserve the status quo

I fly quads, how can I be status quo? LOL.

I bet you got that definition from wikipedia which is written by people and tends to be liberal biased. I don't know what any of this has to do with the topic. People need to stop fighting in this country. If you are liberal, you need to wake up and see what people like that are doing to the hobby you probably love. It's not just liberals either, but mostly.
Old May 04, 2013, 01:23 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2013
393 Posts
Quote:
Well, CBS is at it again. They ruined 3 wheelers for me in the 80's, now they are attacking

Example, if I took a car and drove it into a school bus and say, "this is what could happen" would be so stupid.

What they should do is say, this is what happens when you report stories wrong.
Three wheelers? Really? Three wheelers are gone for good reasons.

A car? Really? A license, insurance, registration, taxes, laws etc etc. There will always be stupid people BUT call me when RC operators have to go through this. Which BTW we will maybe not to the extent of cars but thanks to idiots like this guy in the story and hundreds of others just like him that is what will and should happen. DJI themselves are a huge part of the problem with the way they marketing the Phantom and Colin and his videos.

I see nothing wrong with the reporting of this story and this idiot isn't alone in this type of thing, SADLY. This is becoming an issue because of people like him and the hobby becoming so easy and reachable with no REAL regulations.

Regulations are coming and rightfully so.

edit:
"Despite being out the $1,500 flying camera, Cline said it was something he was able to laugh at.

“All things considered ... this is pretty funny,” he said"

"Cline also said the Marion County Sheriff’s Office had acted “unprofessionally” in its investigation."

Okay whatever it was the sheriff who was irresponsible.

"Cline said he is “not just somebody who thought of picking up a camera” and making films, adding that he earned a bachelor of fine arts in cinema production"

This guy is a complete idiot. He failed common sense and safety... obviously. This is not JUST a camera. DUH!

But hey that is how Colin markets this quad it is just a camera or camera accessory that ANYONE can do ANYTHING with it ANYTIME and ANYPLACE.
OutBreak44 is offline Find More Posts by OutBreak44
Last edited by OutBreak44; May 04, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old May 04, 2013, 02:08 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,700 Posts
You make some good points outbreak44, but let me ask you, what are the "good reasons" that 3 wheelers are gone?
Old May 04, 2013, 02:24 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2013
393 Posts
Quote:
You make some good points outbreak44, but let me ask you, what are the "good reasons" that 3 wheelers are gone?
IMHO.....awful design for what they were being marketed to do with them. It was in short a defective product.

I know there are the arguments of users not riding them correctly but they are a bad design for that type of riding, activity, terrain, speed etc etc. which of course increased rider error.

The QUAD is much much better. hehe I said QUAD.
Old May 04, 2013, 06:02 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutBreak44 View Post
IMHO.....awful design for what they were being marketed to do with them. It was in short a defective product.

I know there are the arguments of users not riding them correctly but they are a bad design for that type of riding, activity, terrain, speed etc etc. which of course increased rider error.

The QUAD is much much better. hehe I said QUAD.
That couldn't be further from the truth, and you are a by-product of how the media trained the nation regarding that topic. I am an authority on 3 wheelers. I've ridden them for over 30 years, and still ride. My current ride is a 70hp methanol burning missile for ice racing. I've read all the CPSC reports on three wheelers from the time when this all went down. Over 70% of the incidents were rider error, or alcohol. The government even concluded that it wasn't the machine's design causing the problem. The problem was dealerships selling trikes to kids that weren't meant for kids. It was the national pediatric society that started the investigation because too many kids were getting hurt on them. You also had people riding them who before hand would have never ridden an off-road vehicle, because motorctycles were just too difficult for them, and three wheelers made it easy for them, but in reality they had no business being on one. Then you had the motorcycle riders who were all accustomed to putting there feet down in a crash, and that is the absolute wrong thing to do when on a quad or trike. You will run over your own foot, and hurt yourself real bad.

So then 60 minutes runs this bit on how dangerous they were. A segment all based on many lies. Instead of dealing with the bad press, plus Mr.Honda was already thinking of phasing out 3 wheelers in favor of the new 4 wheeled design, he AGREED to stop making them, way before the government ever put a ban on them. They were never banned, or were they ever illegal. That's why it's called the consent decree. The other manufactures just followed suit. To this day, some 25 years later, people are brained washed over the whole subject.

I've been riding off-road for 40 years now, and I did not have a serious accident until I bought a quad. All forms of off-road are dangerous, none too much more than the other. There is nothing wrong with the design of a three wheeler, just how people ride them. In most circumstances, I prefer a trike over a quad, and I have several of both.

Now....we have this quad stuck on a statue. Was the guy in the wrong? Probably. should he be flying "ANYONE can do ANYTHING with it ANYTIME and ANYPLACE." of course not. I am scared out of my mind to fly over people or things that I have no business flying over. But in reality, it was just a statue. If some kid got his kite stuck in the statue, it would have been no big deal. It's because it's a quad, and the liberal biased media has it out for them, that's why it got this attention.

There is something very wrong with this nation in that we (well not we, but they) blame objects instead of the person using them. Guns, three wheelers, quads, quadcopters, etc, etc etc. Punish the rest over the actions of a few. Plus there is no consistency in the logic of this thinking. We can compare this to many things. By all rights, high school cheer leading, and high school football should be banned, because I got to tell you, way more children get hurt doing that, then kids who ride 3 wheelers. It's what ever the media attacks at the moment, and the gullible public who go along with it.

Each and everyone of these instances are eating away our freedom. One day coming to a theater near you. Eventually it will attack one of your freedoms unless we put a stop to it. I wish I knew how.

Here is my three wheeler, turn up the sound and listen to it echo off the mountains:

ATC370R aka ATC250R (1 min 32 sec)
Old May 04, 2013, 07:16 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,034 Posts
I have to agree with antslake on this one.

3 wheelers are exactly ad he described. Unfortunately so are quads. I am a long time dirt bike and road bike enthusiast. I see more accidents on 4 wheels mainly because people who shouldn't be rising them, can. It is easily accessible to those who "shouldnt."

Unfortunately FPV, and Quadcopters. Seem to have the same effect. Rc has exploded since quads hit the scene, and FPV definitely helped as well. Combine the two and holly crap! Instant access to someone who would never go through the trouble to learn how to adjust abell hiholler head, or balance CG, or tune a nitro engine. Let alone learn through a trainer cable how to actually fly....
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old May 04, 2013, 07:42 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,700 Posts
That is a really good point there. I am guilty of it too! I started flying some heli's, and I got frustrated because every time you crash it breaks. I knew there was going to be a steep, expensive learning curve. Then I tried Quads! For me flying a quad gives me the same enjoyment as flying a heli at my level of flying, but the quad is so much easier. I think this leads to a lot of over-confidence. You are tempted to pull off these stupid stunts like flying over people and objects that shouldn't be flown over. Like this guy:

Spring Break FPV - Flown with Dragon Link (4 min 39 sec)

I was actually there the same week he was, and flew at the same beach and light house. But I did not do what he did, I never flew over a person, or too close to that light house. He took so many chances making this video, chances for himself, and chances to ruin it for all of us, because just wait until something happens that really matters how the press will handle it. Even if he hit that light house and did damage, how the heck would you fix it? They spent millions restoring that light house.
Old May 04, 2013, 08:03 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2013
393 Posts
Quote:
]
We will have to agree to disagree then. At least on 3 wheelers. I spent most of my life racing, riding and you name it on everything with wheels and motors. My friends and family were all into it and I mean professionally. Big names and smart people. Everyone I knew and know agreed and agrees with me that the things are a poor design for what they are used for. Technooly, engineering etc etc has a tendency to weed out the bad things that don't stand up. This is one of those things. Eventually if not for them being outlawed they would have went to a small niche of people and enthusiats. But due to the dangers and irresponbibility of the dealers,manufacturers, parents, and users of what began as a dangerous thing that wasn't going to happen fast enough a so Jonny Law had to step in. Now if you want to argue that intense regualtion should have been placed instead I might agree but that isn't what happened...and the industry and users weren't bending enough or fast enough.
Again I say good riddens but if they want to make it legal again hen I say by all means but with hardcore regulation, warning, insurance, understanding etc etc etc. But I don't think that will happen either as there just isn't enough interest in such a lousy design and product to bring it back. IMO

Get back to you later on the rest of your response.
Old May 04, 2013, 08:51 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,700 Posts
There you go again. They were never outlawed, they are not illegal. FYI, ama just let 3 wheelers race again at the national tt event in Ohio. We are also racing them in different ice series in hockey stadiums in front of fans. The cult of 3 wheelers will never die, and probably 99% of all 3 wheeler owners will not say they are any more dangerous than any other form of off road riding. The statistics prove that as well.
Old May 04, 2013, 09:22 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2013
393 Posts
I was thinking of this page six http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/125247/atvoverview.pdf. The ten year original abn was voluntary sort of.
Closed Thread