HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,253 Posts
I flew that plane a lot in il2 in the online virtual campaigns (VEF and such..)

How think are the shims (zip tie) for the p-51 prop mod ? I wanna do it on mine.
Shung is online now Find More Posts by Shung
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,768 Posts
I used standard 1mm thick 4mm wide zip ties.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2013
2,253 Posts
Thanks !
Shung is online now Find More Posts by Shung
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM
plane crazy...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Apr 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin whitesell View Post
Dambit I just love the FMS bf-109 I desert camo (light brown) Have you seen R's bf-109 with gyro ? (nice) Dambit what do you think of the 1 mm cable tie shim mod? (sse post 6459)
Yep, I've seen that clip and I ordered that gyro earlier today from Motion RC to install in mine... Also going to fit the new, larger 190 blades in a second spinner which will be essentially scale correct for this plane... I'm guessing the gyro stabilizer will help with additional P factor after watching Ryan's clip... It might also inspire me to complete that plane... The summer construction season has really cut into my RC building time! I start projects in winter and if they're not completed by early spring they often languish for months - with fall just around the corner, I'd like to fly my "black 6" as the weather cools off some.
Chris
Fergus1 is offline Find More Posts by Fergus1
Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,375 Posts
I was very interested in the FMS bf-109-but the groundhandeling / takeoffs / landings scared me off but now after seeing Ryan's review of that $22 gyro in the brown Fms bf-109 I'm really thinking about it!! I mean man that desert camo bf-109 is a beauty. Fergus why the silver like color on your canopy framing?-kev I had a chance a few years ago to sit in a Spanish built bf-109 at the Western Canadian Aviation Museaum and have my picture professionally taken. I couldn't bring myself to do it (a spitfire for sure or p-51 or an allied warbird) I did sit in it though and it fit like a glove. Just last year I was in this antique / collectables shop looking at german hockey league jerseys.The owner says I got something you might be interested in. He pulls off a rack a Nazi S.S. tunic! He asked me if I'd like to try it on-I said " no thank-you sir if I did my grandfather and father would roll in there graves! " I'm just not into dis-honoring my family and ancestors! (bloody disgraceful)
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kevin whitesell; Yesterday at 07:10 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM
plane crazy...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Apr 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin whitesell View Post
Fergus why the silver like color on your canopy framing?-kev
Because its an aluminum clad light ply/basswood frame that hasn't been painted yet. I modified much of the plane, correcting the details that fell short in the FMS production plane, and in the course of modifying mine to resemble "black 6", and early "Gustav", I had to alter the canopy framing. I also completely rebuilt the vertical stab and rudder, and lengthened the flaps to scale configuration. I could have done more, but there are limits

If you're not familiar, "black 6" was one of the last, completely original Bf 109s in flying condition until an accident. It's been restored and could fly again, but is on static display at the RAF museum. There are several great video clips of this plane in its glory... Which inspired me to buy the FMS 109 and make a project out of it.
Fergus1 is offline Find More Posts by Fergus1
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,375 Posts
Oh..cool man! Oh yeah flight this morning with zip-tie mod on prop went very well. The fms fw-190 is surpassing my E-flite hurricane as my favorite warbird in my hanger right now.
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kevin whitesell; Yesterday at 09:32 PM.