SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:47 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Sorry to jump in with an unrelated question, but can anyone think of a good reason why I shouldn't buy an e-starter?
Because you can't find one?

They're unavailable in the states. Not my type, but lots of folks love 'em!
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:12 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
So my LHS throws a bnib C47 on their clearance table... Dang it!
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:33 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
What a shame, Phoam.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:47 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,545 Posts
I think it depends what you are after.

- First of all I don't think you can go wrong with anything that cost $35. If you don't like it you can always keep it around to have something to fly when a child/neighbor asks for a turn (on a buddy box)...

- If you want a scale look then the FMS birds for example have better details (excluding the famous red-bull e-starter of course).

- Do you care to assemble the kit? Probably not if you are here...

- Do you need something you can fit bigger batteries in? As it was explained to me here 2200mah is probably the max you can get away with.

- Do you need an fpv platform? Well, the bixler or some of the other trainers one might consider as oppose to the e-starter with larger wing spans will fair better....

- Do you need to fly in strong winds? The heavier FMS birds for example will fare better.

So for $35 I don't think you can go wrong to have something relaxing to end the day with. Of course what do I know, I am still waiting for the LHS to confirm my order is in...

btw, it is in stock here.
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:48 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Sorry to jump in with an unrelated question, but can anyone think of a good reason why I shouldn't buy an e-starter?
A good reason would be because you already have six of them
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:57 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,545 Posts
FYI... HeadsUpRC has this Stick Mount - GWS Plastic Mount for 35mm Motors listed as a new inventory item for $2.25. Get them while they last...

I padded my order today with one for the powerup 400 motor I got for the e-starter I ordered. I also ordered a firepower 15 for the Mosa II. Hopefully it will get here before the weekend so I can re-maiden it. I am not going to lie to you, the left wing of the Mosa is wrapped yet already painted so will see how it flies. The left wing is a bit like a Corsair wing right now...
I really wanted a power up 15 but they are out of stock. Lets see how the firepower series is. I am scared to fly any balsa models in the field right now. Signal have been very sketchy and I am too spoiled to drive half hour away. Airplanes are falling out of the sky like flies.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:59 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Thanks for the "in stock" tip on the E-Starter, Arnav.

My Formosa 1 showed up today. This one is a back-up in case I crash the current one beyond repair.

Wind is climbing up into the high teens lo 20's here for te next couple of days at least, so I am grounded for a while.

Still need to finish the build on my World Models Groovy - getting close on that one. Also have to finish repairs on my Techone Swift and put a new motor in the GWS Stearman.

Wolfe
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:05 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,545 Posts
My pleasure. it is PittSpecial LHS. it says they have 13 in stock! Hopefully it is not a mistake. If you are not in a rush though, headsuprc shipping is slightly cheaper if you wanted to wait.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:16 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Well so far, I still can't see a good reason!
Arnav, not quite sure what I want one for. I quite fancy fitting floats as I've already got a Beaver on floats, and would like something with ailerons. I quite fancied teaching the Mrs, to fly, so I bought her a Beaver too. I thought the E S could be her aileron trainer.
Finally, I fly mainly edfs now, so it's nice to have something to just cruise around with at the end of a session.
Even more finally, I'm seeing nps epo versions available in the UK do 25, and I have enough gear laying round to put one in the air.
What else can you get for 25 that's as much fun?!
davylah is online now Find More Posts by davylah
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:24 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,545 Posts
Well, looks to me there is an e-starter in your future then...

Not to mix work with pleasure, but are folks at work jumping for joy with all the issues with the Dreamliner?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:17 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Sounds like a good buy, Davy.

What paint are you guys using on the new foam?

Wolfe
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:32 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,545 Posts
I have yet to find spray paint that melts EPO (GWS or otherwise). I have used Krylon, Rust-O-leum, no name brands from HD, cans I had laying around the house, etc'. EPS is of course a different story...
Of course just test first as I have "no reimbursement for wrong paint recommendations" policy...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:00 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Wolfewinde,

Thanks for the tip on the Corsair LG. I'll try it.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:07 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Phoam,

I'm using a Towerpro 2408-21T and a 1000 mAh 3S. Didn't want to carve out the battery bay too much so went with smaller lipo, plus it can go slower on tight turns. Have had one tip stall and crash from 20 feet from experimental on how slow I can make a turn - dumb to do with a warbird
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:29 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
I think it will have more when it is flying, the mount is very
flexible. This is with a 48g battery. 2s, 800.. It gains about
an inch at each wing tip. The CoG is about 1/2" off here.
But the Rec, is not mounted where it will go and there
is no ESC.
Yes, it has good enough dihedral already from the picture you posted.
The old 7.2V 600mAh NiMh pack could give my old Pico J3-F 15 minutes duration in the air if I recall it correctly. The old brushed ESC cuts off motor power at 2.30V each cell on the said NiMh one, while it's better to cut off at 3.75 - 3.80V each cell when using Lipoly pack today, so I'd guess that your 2S 800 lipo could give you 15 more minutes each duration as you might only use 2/3 throttle for climbing up, and half or even less throttle for level flight, and the heat sink might not be required when using 2S during winter. And in my idea it's NOT a good idea using 3S on this IPS brushed motor.
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Last edited by twn Chen; Jan 29, 2013 at 10:34 PM.