HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2007, 08:07 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,689 Posts
Discussion
Which radio manufacturer cares about sailplanes?

Something I have noticed as this year winds down, which maker of radios has done more to promote soaring, just a few weeks ago I flew at the Visalia Fall Festival, the guys from JR/Horizon Hobbys were there to show the new 9303 2.4 radio and had a nice display booth with hats and t-shirts for all. For the 5th year, they have sponsored the JR Aerotow in Monticello Illinois and do a fabulous job there and provide shipping to and from the event for west coast flyers.
While Airtronics has sponsored the International Hand Launch at Poway, I wonder about next year, Airtronics (now Global Hobby) has really dropped the ball with sailplane radios, they used to be THE one to have.
Haven't seen much support from Futaba or Hitec for glider guys (unless the Cularis counts- not sure if it does).
My money is absolutely going to JR, they have shown me they listen to the glider market and have a wonderful new radio coming soon, and everyone knows the JR servos are the best you can buy!
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2007, 08:17 PM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
what about multiplex? throw away the Stylus and get an EVO
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:07 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Jr

I have had nothing but wonderful service and treatment from JR and Horizon Hobbies.. Brian Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
Something I have noticed as this year winds down, which maker of radios has done more to promote soaring, just a few weeks ago I flew at the Visalia Fall Festival, the guys from JR/Horizon Hobbys were there to show the new 9303 2.4 radio and had a nice display booth with hats and t-shirts for all. For the 5th year, they have sponsored the JR Aerotow in Monticello Illinois and do a fabulous job there and provide shipping to and from the event for west coast flyers.
While Airtronics has sponsored the International Hand Launch at Poway, I wonder about next year, Airtronics (now Global Hobby) has really dropped the ball with sailplane radios, they used to be THE one to have.
Haven't seen much support from Futaba or Hitec for glider guys (unless the Cularis counts- not sure if it does).
My money is absolutely going to JR, they have shown me they listen to the glider market and have a wonderful new radio coming soon, and everyone knows the JR servos are the best you can buy!
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Oct 24, 2007, 06:09 AM
Milton Keynes, UK
Joined Oct 2005
1,172 Posts
Multiplex and Graupner are very sailplane friendly.

At this years F3J Euro Champs, here are the numbers of transmitters used from manufacturers. You will see a similar distribution at almost any major international.

Graupner 62
Multiplex 15
Futaba 14
JR 5
Sanwa 2
TOTAL 98

Of the Graupner transmitters, here is the spread.

MC 18 1
MC 19 5
MC 20 6
MC 22 12
MC 22S 5
MX 22 2
MC 24 31
TOTAL 62
Richard S is online now Find More Posts by Richard S
Old Oct 24, 2007, 04:29 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Quote:
You see MacDonalds everywhere but there are better places to eat.
Go Multiplex.
The Cockpit SX is probaby one of the best glider TX for anyone who is into sport flying with a 4 surface wing. Go Evo9 if you need more.
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old Oct 24, 2007, 06:00 PM
Milton Keynes, UK
Joined Oct 2005
1,172 Posts
...... and Profi 4000 for even more

I agree that the Cockpit SX has an amazing set of features and is a more than a match for some much more expensive tx's from other manufacturers
Richard S is online now Find More Posts by Richard S
Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:59 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Sep 2005
528 Posts
Original poster is in the USA. Unfortunately we don't get many of the radio's people across the pond can get (SX etc.) , and said manufacturer's do not actively support sailplane activities nor have decent service over here. JR is the only "real" game here (imho of course).
rvsixer is offline Find More Posts by rvsixer
Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:19 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsixer
Original poster is in the USA. Unfortunately we don't get many of the radio's people across the pond can get (SX etc.) , and said manufacturer's do not actively support sailplane activities nor have decent service over here. JR is the only "real" game here (imho of course).
IMO, Multiplex trumps JR for sailplane support.

Actually since I got my EVO, everyone at my flying field that fly JR keep eyeballing my Tx and asking questions, "Can it do this or that? Can you really assign every switch? Can you convert to 2.4gHz? Is it easy to program? Does it support Heli's?" I can say yes to every question. The they ask "How much?" and I point them to Hobby Horse web site for pricing. The next week they show up and say "Dang, it's cheaper that what I paid for my JR! I think I have to get one of those."

There was only 2 of us with EVO's now we have 4, and it looks like the numbers will keep going up
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:35 AM
Joined Sep 2005
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz
IMO, Multiplex trumps JR for sailplane support.
My comments regarding support were in the spirit of the original post. JR is everywhere supporting the hobby actively in the US (contests large and small, raffles, etc). JR actively seeks US pilot input for next gen radios. JR has native 2.4 availability.

Believe me if I could get EVO programming with native DSM2 (Rx product line broader and cheaper than EVO 2.4 add on's) I will be first in line .
Last edited by rvsixer; Oct 25, 2007 at 04:04 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:26 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Multiplex EVO (or Profi if you don't mind the style and have the $$ - oh, and can find one!)..

rvsixer, I just converted one of my EVO's to JR Spektrum for the same reasons (Rx choice) - it was a 90-minute project. Thread discussing it here
My conversion is in posts 218 & 219. I've flown it since, no problems!
..a

[attachment]1499549[/attachment][attachment]1499550[/attachment]
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 25, 2007, 05:05 AM
Joined Sep 2005
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
rvsixer, I just converted one of my EVO's to JR Spektrum for the same reasons (Rx choice) - it was a 90-minute project.
Nice conversion, but I am after native DSM2.

Back to non-hijack mode .
Old Oct 25, 2007, 06:55 AM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
S2k -

Horizon Hobby cares more about RC Soaring than the other guys, if their visible support is any indication. They sell JR Radios, along with Spektrum now. The 9303's are excellent sailplane radios, and right now they are ahead of everybody else with their implementation of 2.4 gig. The 9303's sailplane programming is very well done. I used one for a couple seasons and found it to be more than adequate for my glider needs. I just got hold of an x9303 that I'm looking forward to trying out this weekend.

I have a Profi 4000 somewhere buried in a basement closet, it's a great radio that has the ergonomics of a con block. If I were just sitting around the shop on rainy days setting up airplanes I'd still be using it. The programming environment is logical. Trying to actually use it outside in the sunshine to fly sailplanes is less enjoyable.

I used to have an Evo. I found it to be quite interesting, with the logical Multiplex programming environment. Unfortunately it has some limitations that I am unwilling to accept.

I used to fly Airtronics but they have squandered a once great lead with their products. Nothing new from Airtronics for however many years is reaping great dividends for their competition. JR and Sanwa should send them a bonus this Christmas.

I currently fly a Futaba 14MZ that is the best radio I've ever had. I find it enjoyable to program and fly with. It has more capabilities than anybody elses product, and you pay for it. Futaba has provided competent support, but they are not out there to the extent that Horizon is. They have fallen behind with their delivery of 2.4 gig equipment.
Robglover is offline Find More Posts by Robglover
Last edited by Robglover; Oct 25, 2007 at 07:24 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:45 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,689 Posts
Back to the original message, where is Hitec/Multilplex at sailplane events (and with 2.4 technology?), JR people are at the events, showing new product, answering questions, no one else is.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:54 AM
Northumberland,UK
Joined Oct 2004
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S
...... and Profi 4000 for even more
Sadly only if you already have one as Multiplex now seem to have dropped the Profi MC4000 range completely. At least according to their UK/IRL rep
http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/...html#msg488866

It certainly seems that JR are prominent in North America and Graupner in Europe, at least as far as flat field soaring goes. On the slopes in the UK though Multiplex could have the edge.
psoff3x is offline Find More Posts by psoff3x
Old Oct 25, 2007, 09:17 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,860 Posts
Quote:
While Airtronics has sponsored the International Hand Launch at Poway
Multiplex has sponsored the IHLGF in the past too, right? Granted this was back during the Karlton days, but back then I remember that Multiplex often gave stuff away for raffles and other events.

I agree these last few years, Horizon seems to be the most supporting of the glider community, at least here in the middle USA. It is one reason I'm proud to own a JR radio.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke