HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2007, 05:27 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2004
807 Posts
Discussion
On Topic About Off-Topic Posts

Guys,

I didn't really want to be the first to complain, but what the heck. IMHO, a number of threads on this forum have devolved into email banter between two or three flying buddies about, for example, what they are going to do on the weekend, rather than on-topic useful comments that we all can share in and benefit from. I think emails or PMs could be used for much of what fills this forum. If one-to-one or one-to-a-few correspondence went that way, there would be much more useful bandwidth and a higher value to noise ratio.

Just my opinion, but do you think you could consider more direct communications with your buddies, so that we all can benefit when the good stuff rolls in and not have to read every "I'm going too!" entry?

Call me the grinch.....

(fire-retardent suit firmly in place)

Dave Smith
Seadog is offline Find More Posts by Seadog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2007, 06:52 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,884 Posts
Dave,

I second the motion. A comment directed at a personal buddy now and then is all part of the fun, but back-and-forth chit-chat is what PMs are for.

Incidentally, I don't mind when a subject drifts off thread on occasion, if it is worth knowing about and is applicable to what we are about here. But it IS nice when it gets pulled back on thread, so the main theme does not dissolve into the ether.

Online forums are the best thing that has happened to this hobby since the invention of the digital proportional radio, imo.

Don Bailey
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:12 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,826 Posts
Good point......I think it is up to the person who started the thread to keep it on track....I know that when one of my threads starts to wander it reminds me to get down to the shop and build some so I can take some pictures to post and get back on track! The problem is that the thread I think he is referring to was started by one of the guys who are using it as a "chat room"....... it's amazing how a little anonymity brings out the "best" in people.... The best rule of thumb to use is right before you hit "submit" ask yourself,"Is this relevant to the topic at hand?" If not....then PM away! Or if you want to banter about what you are going to do this weekend....then start a thread titled," What are we going to do this weekend!"
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Jan 16, 2007, 08:20 PM
USA, NY, Chestnut Ridge
Joined Jun 2000
1,694 Posts
While I don't disagree, I am amazed that you don't simply avoid the offending thread. It seems that approach would take less energy than posting about it.
Ben Diss is offline Find More Posts by Ben Diss
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:26 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Diss
While I don't disagree, I am amazed that you don't simply avoid the offending thread. It seems that approach would take less energy than posting about it.

Good point....but.....most times the thread has value or is a thread that you have been following and it gets hijacked into a "chat room".....so you open a window and see this thread you have been following at the top of the list appearing to have a new post....you click on it...and it's some jibber-jabber about flying someplace you have never heard about....and not about what the thread title states....in a perfect world....whomever moderates this section "should" be following up on this kind of "thread drift" and nipping it in the bud! But if they did that it wouldn't give us "olfolks" anything to complain about! And you are right.....this just took me 10 minutes to compile......10 minutes that I could have been working on my pull-pull set-up! Off to the shop!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:55 PM
USA, NY, Chestnut Ridge
Joined Jun 2000
1,694 Posts
OK, I see. Good point.
Ben Diss is offline Find More Posts by Ben Diss
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:55 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,604 Posts
This thread sounds like a chat room to me.
dharban is offline Find More Posts by dharban
Old Jan 17, 2007, 09:57 PM
Magic Blue Smoke costs to much
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Joined Dec 2004
2,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharban
right on bro, "people in glass houses".......
jason H is offline Find More Posts by jason H
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:45 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharban

Huh? How so? Every post so far....except for yours...has been on topic....... and the one after yours....something about glass houses? Huh??? I really don't understand the logic behind either one of these posts. Neither has anything to do with the thread at hand or adds anything to the discussion of the thread at hand.....can you enumerate further on what direction you where attempting to take your post to make it relevant to the topic?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:11 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,604 Posts
Smile -- everyone is entitled to a little fun.

Don
dharban is offline Find More Posts by dharban
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:12 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,117 Posts
They can't help it, they are from the upside down half of the planet. This causes blood to pool in their heads. To counter act this they drink copious amounts of beer and this causes them to ramble on about nothing in particular. When no one is around to listen to thier rants they must find an other outlet or their brains will explode. Fortunately with the advent of the internet they are only a click away from relief. Unfortunately for the "right side uppers" we get stuck listening to ozzy bantering

How's that for off topic. or is that on topic????

I need another beer my head hurts

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:29 PM
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG
They can't help it, they are from the upside down half of the planet. This causes blood to pool in their heads. To counter act this they drink copious amounts of beer and this causes them to ramble on about nothing in particular. When no one is around to listen to thier rants they must find an other outlet or their brains will explode. Fortunately with the advent of the internet they are only a click away from relief. Unfortunately for the "right side uppers" we get stuck listening to ozzy bantering

How's that for off topic. or is that on topic????

I need another beer my head hurts

TFLG
Actually that was dead on topic!