HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:46 PM
Plummet Airlines
Perth Western Australia
Joined Feb 2004
878 Posts
Discussion
Report from the Slope

Wind was blowing 27 knots and peaking 30 knots at the slope yesterday. I did not bother a test flight but taped 200 grams of ballast onto the Eraser immediately. I needed every gram. It flew well, but with my lack of experience the wind strength was a little intimidating. The lift zone is narrow and the high winds were blowing the surf very close to the edge of the slope. I am sure the lift extended beyond the water a little, but I lacked courage to try it. The rotor at the top was evil. I had little room to play in. Anyway I had a good time. I think the Eraser really like winds around 18 to 20 knots, at this site anyway. The stronger winds were a good learning curve. Crashed less and never got entangled in the rotor, so I am getting there.
Craig Mckinley is offline Find More Posts by Craig Mckinley
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:54 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,477 Posts
Craig,
You will be amazed how fare the lift reach over the water (depends of the shape of you're cliff) and it's much smoother out there as on/over the lip.
I heard that Perth is one of the nicest place on earth to live. Post some pics.

Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is offline Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:17 AM
BC Canada
Joined Dec 2004
422 Posts
Craig, generally lift moves away further from the ridge with wind speed. In lighter winds you fly closer to the ridge but if it blows you off your feet then try flying two steps away from the slope, up the wind I mean. Like Wakumann mentioned already, you will be amazed how silky smooth lift is there. Its not obvious thing, I have heard complains from experienced pilots flying full-scale gliders and complaining that is blows really hard and right against the slope but all they could find there is the turbulence and sink. I did the same mistake myself too.
chainick is offline Find More Posts by chainick
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:26 AM
Oceanside CA
Joined Dec 2004
4,046 Posts
From what I've seen from the pics of his slope, his lift band won't go very far out, probably a 20-30 ft hill, doesn't look like much of a bowl. PERFECT for a weasel, Craig if you ever plan on getting one you will NEVER have a problem flying it there concerning how narrow the lift band might be.
Mr. Innocent is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Innocent
Old Jan 01, 2006, 12:34 AM
Plummet Airlines
Perth Western Australia
Joined Feb 2004
878 Posts
There is good lift further out. Problem is, during the afternoon when the winds really blows the high tide comes in also. There is good lift away from the slope. At times I draw a mental line straight down from the aircraft, I am quite sure the Eraser flys off the slope very close to the surf. I can do more with the Eraser on this slope, its just the surf that spooks me out. Mr Innocent is quite correct. From what I know of the Weasel, it will be well suited to this flying site.
Old Jan 01, 2006, 12:01 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,477 Posts
Quote:
From what I've seen from the pics of his slope, his lift band won't go very far out, probably a 20-30 ft hill, doesn't look like much of a bowl
@ Mr Innocent

according to Craigs picture this slope is good for almost anything ( except lead sleds)in winds 25+.
No problem to fly there a F3F Moldie
Looks like a really good spot IMO.

Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is offline Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2006, 02:17 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,117 Posts
Nice looking little slope. I doubt the lift will very good if you venture too far from the slope though. A decent rule of thumb is that the lift band will go out anywhere from 1/2 to 1 1/2 times the height of the slope. So if your slope is 100' high the lift band will go out anywhere from 50' to 150' from the slope. Looks like it could be a fun slope with a nice efficient glass plane. I agree a good F3fer or 2 meter would rock on that slope in a 20mph blow.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jan 01, 2006, 02:48 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
SoCal
Joined May 2004
1,797 Posts
That doesnt look much different from Sandgate over in Brisbane where Ado & Mick Malloy fly....... heres a pretty cool vid with a couple of foam ships & a 30 oz or so CSD Aircobra doing some laps.

http://mobrien.rchomepage.com/movies/sandgate.wmv
Aerobat152A is offline Find More Posts by Aerobat152A
Old Jan 01, 2006, 07:06 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
very cool vid, plenty of wind for sure, the aircobra looks saaweet, except that last part, nothing a little epoxy cant fix tho,
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Jan 01, 2006, 08:57 PM
Plummet Airlines
Perth Western Australia
Joined Feb 2004
878 Posts
Wow! great video. Yes the slope looks very similar. 25 knots is common at my slope. On a 20 knot plus day it is surprising how much lift the slope generates. I think much more is possible from my slope once I get some experience. Unlike the guys in the video, I am not generating enough speed and slinging the plane up and out. If you look at my pic, that was taken on a 18 knot day. On a 25 knot day the water comes closer to the edge. About 30 mins drive further north the slope doubles in height, must give that a try.