SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:55 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,757 Posts
Not bitching yet, but I did have to get the snowblower out yesterday after all.

Opened the garage door, and was greeted by about 18" of drifted snow, so I gassed it up and got to work.

Okay, that was enough of the white stuff, let's get on to spring now---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
Semi-Official Tinkerer
Rochester NY
Joined Mar 2005
825 Posts
There was about 18" all the way down my driveway.
Except for the end, there was three feet. Dave.
Subdave is offline Find More Posts by Subdave
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:51 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
Not bitching yet, but I did have to get the snowblower out yesterday after all.

Opened the garage door, and was greeted by about 18" of drifted snow, so I gassed it up and got to work.

Okay, that was enough of the white stuff, let's get on to spring now---.
But Kap, winter just now started. You can't be tired of it already and with a snow blower already. Be different if ya had to shovel the white stuff. Ha! Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:55 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apismelifera View Post
As per request: Back yard #1 and street out front #2.
Looks great Apis. Thanks for the pics. Reminds me of when I was a kid up in New England. Love it. Pete
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:56 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,757 Posts
Apis, Subdave, let's recruit Norgale to come up and do our driveways.

Maybe it'd be a really nostalgic experience for him---.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,088 Posts
Snow in the driveway

At Tahoe, my answer was, put the truck in 4-wheel drive! A 6,000lb 4x4, with almost 300HP, and 12.00-16.5 All-Terrain/Snow tires, can go almost anywhere. I used CHAINS, twice, in 5 years. Both times, the roads were RESTRICTED, to locals, with 4x4's, only. Merry Christmas, and let's see some of the snow. Charlie
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
843 Posts
A Winter Diary - For all you snow birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
Apis, Subdave, let's recruit Norgale to come up and do our driveways.

Maybe it'd be a really nostalgic experience for him---.
Perhaps it would. Till...

For Subdave, Norgale, and Der Kapitan. And or anyone else looking for a laugh or two. A classic winter joke. Get out your

Winter Diary

August 12: Moved to our new home in Connecticut. It is so beautiful here. The mountains are so majestic. Can hardly wait to see snow covering them.

October 14: Connecticut is the most beautiful place on earth. The leaves are turned all the colors and shades of red and orange. Went for a ride through the beautiful mountains and saw some deer. They are so graceful. Certainly they are the most wonderful animal on earth. This must be paradise. I love it here.

November 11: Deer season will start soon. I canít imagine anyone wanting to kill such a gorgeous creature. Hope it will snow soon. I love it here.

December 2: It snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed with white. It looks like a postcard. We went outside and cleaned the snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snow ball fight (I won), and when the snow-plow came by, we had to shovel the driveway again. What a beautiful place. I love Connecticut.

December 12: More snow last night. I love it. The snow-plow did his trick again to the driveway. I love it here.

December 19: More snow last night. Couldnít get out of the driveway to get to work. I am exhausted from shoveling. Friggen snow-plow.

December 22: More of that white stuff fell last night. Iíve got blisters on my hands from shoveling. I think the snow-plow hides around the curve and waits until Iím done shoveling the driveway. Friggen Idiot!

December 25: Merry Friggen Christmas. More friggen snow. If I ever get my hands on that son-of-a-beech-nut who drives the snow-plow I swear Iíll kill the Friggen Idiot. Donít know why they donít use more salt on the roads to melt the Friggen ice.

December 27: More white stuff last night. Been inside for three days except for shoveling out the driveway after that snow-plow goes through every time. Canít go anywhere, carís stuck in a mountain of white stuff. The weatherman says to expect another 10 inches of the stuff again tonight. Do you know how many shovels full of snow 10 inches is?

December 28: The Friggen weatherman was wrong. We got 34 inches of that stuff this time. At this rate it wonít melt before the summer. The snow-plow got stuck up the road and that Friggen Idiot came to my door and asked to borrow my shovel. Right after I told him I had broken six shovels already shoveling all the stuff he pushed into the driveway, I broke my last one over his Friggen head.

January 4: Finally got out of the house today. Went to the store to get food and on the way back a gosh darned deer ran in front of the car and I hit it. Did about $3,000 damage to the car. Those Friggen beasts should be killed. Wish the hunters had killed them all last November.

May 3: Took the car to the garage in town. Would you believe the thing is rusting out from the Friggen salt they put all over the roads.

May 10: Moved to Arizona. I canít imagine why anyone in their right mind would ever live in that god-forsaken state of Connecticut.
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:14 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,757 Posts
Or New York for that matter---.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
Just read today that 65% of the lower 48 states has snow cover. That's the largest percentage in many years. We here in east central Missouri are part of the 35%.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:01 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,688 Posts
I remember clearing driveways very well. If the snow was over 6" I took care of our driveway and my grandparents driveway on the next street over. It really was an easy task for a kid as all I had to do was call the town barn and they would send up a plow along with a guy with a shovel to clear the front of the garage door. Then they salted the driveway and later sent us a bill. I think the charge was around $5 at the time and our little town made a lot of extra cash from doing this service for the locals.
If it was a light snow I would do the shoveling and be rewarded with maybe .50 if I was lucky. At Grandfathers home I would get the .50 plus hot biscuits and butter and hot chocolate while Nana dried my shoes in the oven. Ha! Those were the days. I used the money for model airplanes and glue. A Comet model was .50 and a tube of LaPages glue was a dime so I still had a whopping 40 cents left for my efforts.
HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody. Got to go to work now. Pete
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:56 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,757 Posts
Norgale, I remember those days when I was a kid. Owning a snow shovel back then could earn you some nice pocket change---.

So how about it? Subdave, Apis and myself would hire you for that kind of money---.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:17 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predreadnut View Post
Just read today that 65% of the lower 48 states has snow cover. That's the largest percentage in many years. We here in east central Missouri are part of the 35%.
Same here
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:38 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilgewater View Post
Schrott, looks like you may be getting more this year ,it's still early.I hope so, I usually pick up 60-80 # of Pinto beans in Dove Creek to re-supply back in Pa. Ya need that water from the San Juan Mts. to grow the beans.if rain falls short.
The San Juan River flows past Bluff Ut,(my favorite area on the planet since 1962)and it's better when it's running high.
Your addition to the house got it's roof on just in time and it looks good.
Hope you get to the bitchin stage this year.
We desperatly need the bitching state, McPhee is at its second lowest since they built the damm, Niargunep, is dry, completly empty. They could not pump water into that lake from McPhee, because the intake for the pumps are currently above the water level of McPhee.
More snow on Sunday and Monday
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:03 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
617 Posts
After 7.3 inches Wednesday followed by more Friday night this is what it looks like in Indianapolis, IN today.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:20 PM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
Having attended Northwestern University during the coldest January in 80 years, I added this to my rules to live by: " NEVER live anywhere you might end up shoveling 3 feet of 'partly' cloudy"
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos